Posting Photobucket Pics 2017

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Grantus, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Lots of questions asked recently, and photobucket has changed over the years, so here's the latest take on how to:

If you don't already have one, register for a free account at www.photobucket.com, and upload your pics from your computer or device to your account. Follow the online instructions at photobucket.

Once it's set up, and you can access your account:

1. Select the pic from the list or thumbnails & open the pic in photobucket,

2. Click the addy box on the last box on the RH side that says "IMG". The addy disappears & goes yellow briefly, as "copied" appears,

3. Click "paste" where you want the pic to appear, in the "Reply" box here at KC. ;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Debstar

Debstar Well-Known Member

ahhh thanks mate was so wondering how to get the pics on here, as trying to upload directly from my camera I keep getting told. file too large & that's down on the lowest setting! so annoying can't post direct. Will give the photobucket a go cheers :D

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Even with photobucket you may have a problem if your camera is generating very high definition pics. I usually reduce a bit before I lodge on Photobucket.

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Always found using the VGA setting on my camera means I can email pictures or upload to photobucket without issues ...... VGA is low resolution but can still print a nice 6x4 photo on same size photo quality paper or even multiple on an A4 sheet.

Uploaded direct from the camera to the bucket on Monday - 4 or 5 at a time to avoid PB confusing itself :eek:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. grumble

grumble Active Member

Photobucket is much easier to share photos than flickr, if you click story and copy it is just a matter of pasting.

6. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I've been finding lately that useing the photo%ucket app on an iPhone causes grief when copying the IMG link.

The copy proces modifies the text a bit like so

%5BURL=http://s852.photobucket.com/user/sa...9554-9B726B8A09CA_zpsy3mqcpwa.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The [ is replaced with %5B and the ] is replaced with %5D

I've noticed posts by others that have the same issue. I suspect the iPhone is using the wrong character code setting.

I will investigate further and report back

Resnort likes this.
  7. saabman

Now after having posted that it appears the forum is not converting the first %5B to [
    But gets the rest of them

8. Alpal

Still working fine from laptop. Just dumped a few.

9. KahunaKombi

[​IMG]

Seems to work for me from the trusty old HP Windows PC :D;):) ....... don't use any Apple product to post pics #1 don't use an iPhone #2 iPad I have is an early model and even though latest IoS it won't do it :p

Resnort likes this.
  10. saabman

From my trust Macbook Pro
    [​IMG]

no problems

11. Justin Sane

Justin Sane New Member

i dont get why people still use PhotoBucket.
    its archaic and so ssslloowwwwww

If you want to keep your copyright in tact the only services that do that automatically is FLICKR & POSTIMAGE.. otherwise you have to watermark every picture.

Apart from that, if you dont care about copyright, which i suspect is most of us there are free image hosts that are superfast and reliable with all the embedding type tags you want.
    https://postimage.org/ is one example free to use without registering.
    However if you do register then there is the ability to use it as a cloud repository and maintain your copyright.

12. Alpal

Thought Photobucket was the preferred option to show images? Not savvy enough to understand impacts on forum.

Justin Sane likes this.
  13. saabman

Total agree Justin, Photobucket is absolutely C...p

The trouble is when you have a few hundred linked images changing is somewhat tiedious.

Justin Sane likes this.
  14. Justin Sane

Justin Sane New Member

It was great up till about 10 - 12 years ago.

You can keep those already uploaded - keep that in tact.
    Just begin using a new service.

15. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

There is also the alternative of adding images as attachments. This has the advantage of not ever losing them because they have been deleted from a photo sharing site. Attached images can be displayed full size automatically for forum members. The Samba, for example, prefers attachments so as to preserve the images in the future and thus not lose the context of a discussion.

Of course the disadvantage is that the servers need to store the images and I'm not sure how much available space kombiclub.com has. I suspect it should not be a problem these days. I have over 33000 images in my catalogue (not all Kombies:eek:) and it is about 300gb and each photo is at least 50+ times the size of the jpegs I post (typical 1200x800 jpeg should be only about 120k), so I suspect that all the attached images here only amount to minimal gigabytes.

I have never used photobucket (just the name is enough). I have used Pbase (one of the first) and Smugmug (both paid services). Currently, though, I just attach the images and set them to full size display. Then I don't have to worry if I rearrange things on my Smugmug or Pbase galleries!

16. KahunaKombi

With photos posted here with photobucket IF the owner of that account deletes the picture then the link is broken and photo will no longer be displayed ...... if photobucket is down some pictures for what ever reason will not come up on here as the link is broken but some others do.

Am not going into the if it's & buts were beer & nuts we'd have a party every day ...... technology side of it ..... IT's a case of what works for people ...... me I've no real issues with the bucket at least it resizes and posting is easy enough :p

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Justin Sane and David H like this.
  17. Justin Sane

Justin Sane New Member

Sounds like you have been using PB for quite sometime.
    I guess then you are used to the process there and of course have a registered login.

Free sites (no registration) will resize as well and are usually a lot lighter (page isn't heavy/ slow to load) than PB/ Picasa et al.

I just went and had a quick look at PB to see if in fact there have been any changes, using my FaceBook credentials I logged into an account ..
    Instantly i was faced with channel advertising and had to wait for that and nope no changes since first using them in 1998. Sorry, back then you could only upload 1 image at a time.
    I uploaded 3 pictures which was easy enough, but then an apparent lag/ pause with no load bar/ notification for a minute. i clicked one of the images and nothng happened for a few seconds, then was taken to view it by the usual painfully slow load you receive when viewing someone forum pic.... its like loading a 40gb bitmap - make a coffee while you wait :)

If you are happy with that, thats fine. if that works for you, great. But there are better alternatives.

Personally, i would recommend ANY OTHER host than PhotoBucket (and Imageshak) for new users to photo uploading.

and highly recommend Postimage.org as a site that CAN retain your pics forever has no requirement for registration, and no intrusive advertising.:D

David H likes this.
  18. Justin Sane

Justin Sane New Member

Ultimately this is rarely the best option, however many PHBB forums such as this disable that function because users were uploading huge photos that they scanned from a print and because all we had was Dial-Up internet, that just wasn't satisfactory, this is in fact what prompted the public access to the BB coding for embedding an image (*retaining its original location on the web) - then these people kicked up a fuss over bandwidth stealing/ hotlinking and the need for a service like PhotoBuket and Imageshak was born.

However this method also opens another can of worms.
    If i attach 5 pics of 'email' sixe that would take up approx 1/3 of the space available on the forum pafe..
    Somebody comes along and quotes me without editting the code and removing the images - coz we dont need them again,.. then another 3rd of the page is taken up... yoou only need a few people quoting the same way before a new page is required.
    THIS is a terrible waste of bandwidth - forum hosts may be allowed unlimited hard drive space but their internet traffic or bandwidth rarely is.

This is avoided with the correct forum moderation , editting such posts and education on etiquette of quoting.

Attachments should be left for files, Word Docs/ Excell Sheets etc that dont render to the page and take space.
    Not everyone is diligent in making sure their images are of modest size also.:D

David H likes this.
  19. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Unless I've misunderstood...

Fortunately this forum takes good care of quoted images and limits attachment size to 1mb.

E.g. linked quote
    From one of my own posts which were attachments

Nothing worse (ok there are a lot of worse things :() then finding a thread that you are interested in only to find all the images are no longer available.

cheers

Justin Sane likes this.
  20. Justin Sane

Justin Sane New Member

Thats good to find out... and definitely a bonus. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

You know....
    I clicked on that quoted beetle image,,,hoping to get a larger pic.
    For the next 45 seconds i watched an unrelated image slowwwly load, then saw other images loading above and below this...29 in total
    it was painful to have to watch 7 other images Slowwwwwwly load before the image i wanted to see and then have to wait for a channel advertising popup once all 29 images had loaded... then need to scroll past these 7 other images to finally see the image i clicked on.
    BTW - of those 29 images that loaded on that page several were duplicates.
    Good thing i was in my laptop at home and not on my mobile phone or i would have just killed the slow load before i run out of data limit. :(
    (naturally the page opened/ loaded with a more acceptable speed the second time i clicked.)

This is where Photobucket fails you all...
    That is of course, if you care.

So I guess if all the images on the page here in the forums were linked to PB accounts, the page would probably be slow to load.

I then went on and clicked on the other attachments you had quoted and they loaded as they should, as a single pic almost instantly...
    So adding the pics as attachments, IMO seems the far more favourable option and reliable also since its not determined by the uploader if they remain in view.

( i went to the original post you quoted for the attachments, crikey there were some beautiful cars at the Nationals. I might pop in next time around :) )

David H and wirrah like this.