Posting Photobucket Pics 2017

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Grantus, Feb 19, 2017.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

2. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Hi all
    The sunnyjim thread has been around a fair while now . It is stacked with many pb pictures.

I used the free version and i now see the talked about message 3rd party hosting.
    What is the outcome?
    If i pay some fee do all my images get restored?

3. KahunaKombi

Click on the Hosting 3rd Party Hosting Picture that replaces yours - it'll take you to P500 on botophuket and yes $399.99 for a years subscription for them to be restored.

Plenty of discussion on the samba and many pi44ed off about it.

If your google photobucket it'll bring up some interesting discussions :confused:

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I just deleted my account .They want to know why?:confused::eek:. Bit obvious why,crap service and speed and you know what us to pay for that. I had a copy of all my photos that where on poobucket so I can still load them on here if needed.o_O

David H likes this.
  5. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Nah... yeah...nah.

I don't think i will pay $400

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Still trying to download my album, (many pics were uploaded from a now dead and replaced hard drive that crashed, so I wouldn't mind all my album back onto one computer,) but still no luck...:(

7. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Good luck. I imagine their servers are working overtime now as all try to salvage.
    What....you've trashed hard drives before & experienced that & don't have info in 3 spare positions? Sgt Shultz.."Trust no-one & see nothing".
    I do really feel for all the bloggers & threads that thought this was the way to do it.
    Sunny Jim I just don't know how you get out of this corner with the rest of the sufferers.:(
    :rolleyes:
    No Cheers:(

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It kinda sucks, that with no fore warning, they can drop a major change like this.

It doesn't make any sense, and if their bean counters thought "this will boost the income, as they'll all just have to pay to save their hosted pics", I think they were wrong.

Could be the total downfall of PB, and even their already top paying customers will surely be looking elsewhere, or other methods. o_O

Luckyphil likes this.
  10. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I know it's propbably done to death right now but for comparison I have a paid smugmug account where I archive my posted images going back 10 years (you know, VWs, dogs etc...). It cost $US40 per year. There is no limit on uploads, sharing and, best of all no advertising. I don't think they even have an ad driven free version. I have used it in the past for posting here before we switched to Xenforo and started attaching images.

I would, of course, drop them if they hiked their rates since I do not depend on external services to store and archive my images.

Old Bar Convoy 2009 via Smugmug

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  11. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

This issue is not isolated to PB as plenty of comment on TheSamba about other providers simply closing up shop and images deleted from posts on forums. This is a serious threat to forums which are also under attack from Facebook etc.
    Time to start saving your pics from whatever device to your own hard drive and then attach to posts and then will live on for others to enjoy. I see a possibility of forums like KC petering out if pics and thread history not maintained. Then easy to loose contact with the wider KC community = drop in participation, drop in event attendance and eventual drop in popularity of the vehicles themselves. Crazy talk you say?

David H and wirrah like this.
  12. Luckyphil

I have now received 2 emails from Photobucket telling me "some features" of my Photobucket account have been disabled. So is the nothing coming for me :)
    I will be posting pics direct from my own pc storage from now on and they can shove their account. :) If pics I have posted are removed I am sorry :(

David H likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

Not reading anything from pb - mainly marketing to get you to buy prints ..... doh! I got a MFP that will print pictures for me if need arises.

I have all my pictures on the computer hard drive then backed up to an external drive adn some more precious ones to a USB drive as well just in case. I'll get around to the more recent threads & posts and re-post the pictures if I can work out which one it's supposed to be :p:confused::rolleyes:

The Samba has a Gallery section where you can upload pictures to - a feature I've never looked at but when time avails will :cool:

David H and Luckyphil like this.
  14. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Yes and you can link your post to the gallery image. So all nicely encapsulated...

KahunaKombi likes this.
  15. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

That's why I always keep two or more copies.Like KahunaKombi:rolleyes: mentioned above storing it in several places so if one ever fails you have a back up. Like you have two kombis if one has a problem you always have a back up plan :). You need an expect in computer that would be able to retrieve you images of your dead computer. Do you have images storied on PB that they are stopping you from retrieving.

David H likes this.
  16. Luckyphil

I have been resizing my pics to 1024 x 768 but is there a better size, I'm new to this :)

17. David H

Just use this Phil,
    https://pixlr.com/editor/ very intuitive. Open image. Go 'Save' (top left). Adjust as necessary to get size required. Where parking? Job done. Simples.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  18. David H

If you don't you're asking for trouble. 3 daughters, 3 computers, 3 external hard drives, one to each pute. & that's before you get to my storage bucket. Only gotta fail twice quickly to learn the lessons.
    Cheers

Wayne murray likes this.
  19. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

The actual pixel dimensions are not an issue. That size is ok and is a good size for most viewers.

It's how you get below 1 mb in file size (max. attachment size). I usually post 1200 by 800 (3:2 is my camera's aspect ratio). I can filter the image down to as little a 80 kb depending on content and my level of quality assurance/laziness at the time. (e.g. "save as" jpeg, medium quality). I assume something like David's pixlr.com will do this for you if you don't have appropriate applications on your computer.

David H likes this.
  20. David H

Re PB s**t,

Post/Reply in that box. Upload a file. From your computer. Choose thumbnail or full image. Make sure the image is less than 600kb. If not use this. https://pixlr.com/editor/ to reduce file size. Very intuitive. Open image. Go 'Save' (top left). Adjust as necessary to get size required. Where parking? Job done. Simples. Copyright held. Still on your hard drive. Thus still in forum. All from your computer with 'ownership' yours.
    If you go 'full image' that can only be seen by 'logged in' members.
    May encourage some more new members/voyeurs.;)
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017