Posting Photobucket Pics 2017

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Grantus, Feb 19, 2017.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Still to venture to the gallery but will when things settle down if we find a new place to move into seeing current we have to be out of on 18th July :eek:

2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I have to say I've been unimpressed by PB in the past and been looking for another alternative hadn't come across smugmug before so will look into that.

I understand these services need to make money, we all do and paying a fee is reasonable but the fee needs to be reasonable. I had been reluctant to pay for a pb account because their service was Sh...t

Now the monumental task of updating all my images that ive posted over the years. A lot of pictures wot get updated and lots of valuable information will now be lost.

To paraphrase the French knights

" I pull my pants down and wave my buttocks in your general direction Photobucket "

3. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

I've never used or relied on off site managed storage for anything on my computer for the very reason that's happening with PB stuff.
    I have a thread in bay window tec section (steer & susp) that would have done my head in if I'd have used these bastards.
    I have also seen valuable photos disappear from this site for whatever reason that were off site managed long before this tragedy with PB. An example can be found in the same section (low light steering box conversion)

I found a quick way to resize large photos.
    Right click on the photo, up comes a box, click edit, photo appears in Paint (so large you can only see the top left corner). In the top left corner of the screen there's a box for resize, click the box and then click pixels, enter'800' in the horizontal section (the vertical will automatically go to 600) hit the 'save as' button and put an R on the end of the file name and choose the folder that the original photo was in before you hit save (this will place the reduced photo right next to the original). Not sure how to do it on a mac.
    Having the photos this size allows me to put 10 images (maximum allowable) in a single post. They are also large enough so as to show fine detail.
    I realise some people use their phones to view and interact with KC and I guess they will still need off site storage (such as icloud).

Anyway my 2 cents

David H likes this.
  4. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the ability to upload photos to kombi club and other forums is a recently new facility. So using PB and others was the only way to do it.

Myself personally won't lose any photos if I delete my Pb account but the displayed images will all disappear.

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Got a kombi camper in Newcastle you can rent Bert:rolleyes:!
    Cheers

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza.......................:(

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  7. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

If you fancy a challenge - this is how I did it:

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/fixing-threads-that-have-photobucket-images.55875/

This would be for all your old threads, I guess new ones we should just use the forums ability to upload images directly.

John

David H likes this.
  8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

So fix it dear Henry (grantus) so fix it. You know have the skill and knowledge to do so:)

David H likes this.
  9. Jenny Frappell

Jenny Frappell Active Member

Photobucket is still a mystery to me! I can load photos, but I am not clear on what to do after that. Not getting any yellow. sigh. I will keep trying.

10. KahunaKombi

Forget using photobucket to post pictures on any forum unless you're prepared to pay them $400.00 for their P500 3rd Party Web Hosting facility.

If you want to post a picture in a reply/thread then on a Windows PC (not sure on the Apple side) you can use th "Upload a File" option icon next to the Post Reply icon ;)

11. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Apples too.

David H likes this.
  12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

13. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested, the forum I mentioned above (gmhtorana.com) has successfully rescued thousands of broken PB pics (and an incredible amount of info on old holdens that would have been lost) by rewriting some forum code that downloaded the pics from PB to their own server and changed the image source code accordingly.

There is also an add-on for google chrome that apparently restores the lost pics too, I dont use chrome but I'm told it works.

14. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Hi there
    Just been messing with alternative ways to add images
    I use Google and I use Google photos - my phone is an Android and I have the up-link enabled to Google photos - so any photo I take ends up on Google Photos in my album.
    Right.
    But the problem has been posting those images from Google Photos on to a forum - Google doesn't provide a direct link to paste.
    But I found a work around.

For those who use Google Photos - this is easy
    Go to your album on Google Photos
    Right click the image you want
    Click -open in link in new window
    When the new window appears with the image, right click the image and click - copy the image address.
    Back to your forum
    Click at a image - in the URL box click paste.
    that's it.
    Peter

Syncro27 and oldman like this.
  15. deger

deger Active Member

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there has been any solution to the forum's PB broken link issue?
    I've been dismayed at the number of reference threads relating to a documented rebuild etc that have all of the images replaced by the PB icon.
    Such as shame as a lot of KC's knowledge is missing in those pics.

16. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

There is no forum link - it is up to each individual to replace their photos - its a hassle.

17. KahunaKombi

KC is not the only forum world wide that has this problem:eek:

Makes you wonder how many have handed over the $400.00 ransom price :rolleyes:

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Would have been kinder, if PB set a stop date for the hosting, (but kept hosting), and notified people that any hosting after that date would need to be paid for....:(

19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Would have been wiser for PB to charge everyone who uses their service a minor fee of say $10 for example and have 1 million people pay it than have very few people pay US$400 each.

David H and Grantus like this.
  20. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

I'm using a browser extension on Chrome that lets me see photos that would be normally blocked from being seen.

David H, deger, Grantus and 1 other person like this.