1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power loss

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Robbie_2007, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Robbie_2007

Robbie_2007 New Member

g'day guys i've got a 1974 kombi with a 1800cc motor 4spd manual. the problem i have is sometimes (on very random occasions, i can't see any similarity in any of the occasions) i will be driving on the freeway and i will all of a sudden loose speed, the motor is still running and it will gradually loose speed down to about 60-70 and not want to accelerate? although if i pull off the freeway and turn it off for couple of mins it will start up and drive like nothing happened full power and will sit on 95 until the next time this power loss happens again mayb two days or two weeks away? I have change fuel filter any idea guys?

thanks

2. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

if the day's when it happens are extremely hot then its possible that you are getting what is commonly called vapour lock the fuel turns to vapour in the fuel pump due to the heat build up around the engine. carbies cannot deal with vapour they need liquid
    check your timing make sure its within specs.
    if it is vapour lock the best way around it is to get an electric fuel pump (for carby's not fuel injection) and mount it away from the motor on the chassis rail.

3. Robbie_2007

Robbie_2007 New Member

last time it happened was at 5:30 in the morning on the way to work so i don't think its heat? any other ideas? my dad thinks it could be the bowls in the carbies emptying or not filling up quick enough?

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

If the have standard Solex's they are very particular about fuel as Kombidaze has hinted at..... Change the simple cheap things that you can do before organizing an overhaul of the carbies.....Replace Fuel filters check to see if you have a petrified one hiding up above the starter motor.....while you are at it check your air filter and fuel lines ......might as well you have your head in the engine compartment....also might as well tie your fuel lines on as there is no footie on the tele....... perhaps you could check the timing if you have a light .....not the cause of your problem but when someone says " I run mine at 8.5 BTDC" you can say go figure mine runs well at 10-12 and you can think how the heck do they get 8.5 when mine is accurate to 2.....Probably shouuld check the distributor cap.....heard rumours that ozone can build up and cause "problems"......as Yoda would say " fix the ozone layer we can".....

Guess what I am saying $3.50 in parts and you have eliminated a whole heap.....Kind of like taking a panadol for a headache before you call the Doc

Doc

5. Volksaddict

Volksaddict Member

...if all else fails check the length of your fuel pump pushrod ...should be 180mm???

6. Blue76Bay

Blue76Bay New Member

I had a similar problem. I drive to the beach every Saturday morning at about 6am and I would loose power as I got to the top of a long incline. Like yourself I would pull over and sit for a minute or so then start it up and the Bus would be fine the rest of the day and all week in fact until the next Saturday when I went up this incline. This went on for a couple of months. I went up other hills and inclines without any problems. I checked the fuel filters, the carbies and gave it a tuneup. It ran fine except on Saturday mornings when I went up this incline. I was starting to think the Bus was possessed or the Military were testing some new weapon ;) Then finally one Saturday as I was going up the same incline the bus lost power and stopped. I waited a while but this time it wouldn't crank over. I pulled the fuel line off and got my son to crank the motor but no fuel was being pumped out. The fuel pump had gone. Got the Bus towed to Indian Automotive and they rebuilt the fuel pump and it has been fine ever since. They said the diaphram had gone.

7. Robbie_2007

Robbie_2007 New Member

thanks guys got some work to do when i get back...cheers i let you no how i go

8. Phil

Phil New Member

Had the same problem driving along the freeway and would not go above 85kmh. The problem was traced to the fuel levels in the carby bowls being too low. I put a thinner washer under the needle and seat in each carby to raise the levels slightly and now all good.