1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power options

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by cammokombi, Jan 20, 2009.

1. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

I'm getting the 1800 engine rebuilt. Is there anything I can get done to give the engine more power?

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Ask about camshafts.

3. cam, 1700 rocker gear, carbs, decent exhaust system, balancing of internals(rods,crank etc) port job on heads. Source a 2.0L crank and drop that in as well for few extra cubes.

Doing this will bring a type 4 to life.

4. Nigel

Nigel Member

VW Type 4 engine upgrades

There are all sorts of possibilities, but much depends upon how much money you are prepared to spend for each additional kW & Nm of power & torque!?!

A reasonable compromise, for the moderately wealthy, would be a 78 mm stroke crankshaft & 96 mm bore cylinder barrels & pistons, giving 2260 cm³ displacement. One could then combine with these, with increased compression ratio, high-torque camshaft, gas-flowed cylinder heads, with larger valves, all of which would be "blueprinted", to maximise efficiency. This then needs to be properly matched to a tuned exhaust system of appropriate bore and length, plus engine management system to optimise fuel delivery and ignition timing.

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Nigel ... a nice tidy suggestion .....however doesn't sound like Cammo .....and I think he's now selling/sold his bus.
    However can you elaborate on the "engine management system". Are you referring to aftermarket fuel injection and electronic ignition .....and if so what are your suggestions?

6. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Cammo ended up selling his kombi rather than rebuilding.

I am definitely intrigued by the idea of a 2260cm^3 "1800" ... sadly, I am not "moderately wealthy" though....

7. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

I've been archived

I dont currently own a kombi, like many members here. So Im on the shelf at the moment.

8. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I got the pistons and the work, and didn't stroke it. I'm not sure if I will regret that decision. the idea was a warm and zippy engine rather than a thumper. For sure Nigel's email reminds me why i have to find some bread for a nice exhaust.