1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-lubing galleries on overhauled engine?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by mr happy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Guys,
    Just wondering if anyone has successfully used a drill pump to preload oil galleries etc, bought one for $16 and thought it might be a decent option to get some oil to most of the right places before cranking over my overhauled motor. Need to work out best/ easiest place to plumb it in but i have a sandwich plate on the oil filter and reckon i can maybe hook it in there
    Mr h
    B44C0C4D-C8AD-4D59-81B2-BA2DE238E784.jpeg

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The only thing I can suggest is go very slow with the drill as they are made for water and other less viscous fluids. A Variable speed drill on the slowest setting would be best. Pour a little oil into the pump before running the first time to prime it and make sure there isn't any foreign material in it from manufacture.

Adrian

mr happy likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have considered it necessary as long as assembly lube and oil has been used where required during assembly.
    I did find priming pump via oil pressure switch hole beneficial in reducing time to light off status.
    As you are likely aware, cranking to achieve oil pressure is done with spark plugs out.

4. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Don't waste your time and money. Use assembly lube on the critical surfaces, some petroleum jelly in the oil pump.. cam grease..... It will pick up pressure in under 10 seconds and as long as nothing is dry, you are fine.

mr happy likes this.