1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-winter Camp-over 2013

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by VanAime, May 12, 2013.

1. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Finally home and able to get to the computer after a fantastic weekend spent at Laanecoorie. In complete contrast to last years event, the weather this year was magnificent. Just warm enough during the day for short sleeves and the evening didn't matter (not that it was all that cold anyway) because a couple of our pyrotechnicians did a splendid job of keeping the fire roaring into the wee hours.

A huge thanks is in order for the wonderful Kombi people who came along to make the week-end as good as it was. What a great group :D and it was fantastic to catch up with new members and a couple I haven't seen in a long time. A laid-back evening was spent around the camp fire each night swapping yarns, advice and general friendly banter while we watched spuds cook in foil and camp ovens wafting out delicious aromas. What an amazing bunch of people. I only wish we could have stayed there for a month!!

A big word of thanks to Wattie and Irene and also to Brian and Cathy who travelled quite a long way to spend some time with us. Well done people. It wouldn't have been the same without you.

The camp site itself was perfect for a gathering of Kombi faithful. Set amongst sparsely populated gums and in an area towards the back of a huge caravan park on the banks of the lovely Laanecoorie Reservoir, our camp was quiet and we practically had the place to ourselves. As Woz stated at one stage........... "You wouldn't even know we were in a caravan park!"

I could attempt to thank everyone individually for their personal contributions such as a beautiful boutique beer all the way through to a batch of freshly roasted chestnuts done over the fire by a very special lady who did them to perfection, but I'd hate to leave anyone out. However I'm sure those present will remember the special touches provided by various members for a long time to come. Pictures are a little slow to download, but I'll post any half decent ones I have tomorrow. I'm sure somebody else will also have a couple of immortal shots hiding on their flash cards for your perusal.

Several members mentioned making this a regular yearly event at the same location which would be fine with me, but lots of things can change in 12 months and there's plenty of time to think about it.

Once again, a big thanks to all who attended and may the Kombi Gods be kind to us and allow us to gather again soon at the next event:lol:

Cheers,
    Aime.

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

And congrats to Aime for organising another event! Sorry we missed it. Next year not on Mothers day please.

3. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Thanks, Aime.
    Enjoyed the weekend's venue, weather and company immensely.

4. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Thanks again Aime for organising a great weekend! It was great to catch up with familiar faces as well as make new friends.

20130511_155127.jpg

5. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

We missed you two, so will try to dodge mother's day next time:rolleyes:

Hopefully well catch up at Revolks which will possibly be the next event of any significance. Three long and cold months of winter to get through first:umm:

6. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

I'm glad you both had a great time. Your company was equally enjoyable:)

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Aime we also had a great time on the weekend. Thanks for finding this spot and was a pleasure catching up again. The weather was spot on, The only rain we seen was on the way home, started at Ararat and lasted all the way home. Cookie ran like a dream there and back. It was nice to see 10 Kombis turn up for this event. Plenty of great people with a bit of the amber fluid makes for a lot of crazy chit chat and i wouldnt have it any other way. Was great to catch up with Woz and Ally again along with Bunyip. Also Geof and Irene and Sofie the mutt. Good to see Virginia and Sophie again and then along came Jamie who turned up in his work ute for the saturday night finale.Cat well, she was her usuall happy and pleasant self along with moon etc. Grand to see Sam and Maragaret also turn up with a possible kombi recruit his lovely sister Leah, lovelly lady and would look cool in a kombi, but need some seasoning in those chestnuts. Nice to have the pleasure of meeting Some new comers to this event, Gerry and Robin, loved the spuds. Then Kate and Garry who could only stay one night, thanks for coming guys. To Steve, love to catch up again with you at another show. Jo and Jess, nice to see you lovely young girls again, always love your company.I think i covered every one. Thanks again Aime we had a great time as usuall. The place was perfect and there is room there for 100 kombis to have a reall pow wow. But only for 2 nights max as there would be a bit of a line up for the loo and shower or just take a wee bit walk to the main ammeneties block.

8. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I did happen to take a pic of the buses that turned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

OOps a double up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Must be tired another double

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

A great summary and photos to boot, Brian.

12. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

13. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Since most of you seem to like pictures of past events, here are a few of mine, although please bear in mind that I'm not very good with a camera.

Here we were raising our glasses (as promised) to JD....................
    [​IMG]

The heat from the fire interfered terribly with the camera no matter how hard I tried, but.............
    [​IMG]

14. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

The camp was set over a huge area as can be seen here..............
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

And here...............
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Nice to meet Steve. Such a laid-back guy...............
    [​IMG]

A lovely, fresh Alice first thing in the morning................
    [​IMG]

A snap of a snapper............
    [​IMG]

17. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Just in front of Wattie and Irene's beautiful T3 you can see the single stand dunny which was our "beacon on the hill" in the dead of night. And the camera lies. It was a long walk!!....................
    [​IMG]

And finally, the Laanecoorie Reservoir which provided a pleasant background..........
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  18. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

19. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

John, you have no idea how difficult it was to get that picture. That was taken on or about the tenth try. The fire kept attracting the auto focus and I had no idea how to cure the problem. The crowd was very enthusiastic for the first couple of shots, then the grumbling started. By the time I fired the flash in an attempt to get "something"............"anything," the crowd had little black clouds of anger hovering above their heads as can be evidenced by the look on Jo and Brian's face................

[​IMG]

Sorry Brian. Sorry Jo :lol:

20. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for a great weekend, new camera, is was dark and yeah you guest it, couldn't work it for nuts, only got a couple of pics and I think Brian frightened one of them out of the camera !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]