1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price of Bays

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Split 1, May 18, 2010.

1. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Don't shoot the messenger. Occasionally, very savvy, very fine people trust people and buy vehicles, only to shift a bit of paint and realise they've bought a pup. It happens everywhere, not just ebay.

2. marcus

marcus Member

I totally agree with Lorraine,

Ebay is not the problem, In over 150 transactions either buying or selling I have only had 1 problem. If you are careful you will have the similar strike rate.

Ebay, Gumtree, Carsales, Trading Post and even sometimes this forum has had the odd person come through trying to sell a Kombi to us thinking that we will pay an over inflated price on a bogged up rust bucket cause they think Bay Window Campers are rare.

There is bay windows on ebay at the moment that in my opinion are waaaay overpriced, I think people are under some illusion that if the Kombi looks ok its worth 15k and above which is crazy.

3. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

I've got mixed feelings on this one... I agree with Dave, put I think Lorraine makes a valid point also... eBay is riddled with people (on both sides of the fence) who are looking to make a quick $$$.. I've had bad experiences with buyers and sellers but for the most part you have to be prepared for the crazies or in the case of purchasing - be prepared to walk away..

Going back to the original point about the inflated price tags - I've gotta agree! Were currently looking for a kombi (basket case is not an issue) as it's for my dad who has the time and patience.. But struggling to find something..

John

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

John Harte,

I got a really cheap bay that needs some TLC.

If your interested I can send you some pics.

Shoot me a pm.

Sorry Dave, thread hack over.

5. Empi Baja

Empi Baja Member

Ive sold a bit of stuff on ebay in the past and bought some stuff. Always check it out before you bid. Its worth spending the $$$ in airfairs rather than the massive loss you make if it's a lemon.

6. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Yeah that buy it now price seems a bit out of touch.
    I'm quite surprised at some of the prices on late bays,its out of hand.
    Hmmm i'm thinkin it might be time to move ol Bess....needin a change of scenery.

7. GRACIEPOG

GRACIEPOG Member

Bays probably are overpriced, but at the end of the day its all about supply and demand isn't it?

And a Kombi or anything for that matter is only worth what the seller is willing to sell it for and what a buyer is willing to buy it for in an arms length transaction, assuming the seller is being honest.

So if someone is silly enough to pay $17k for it, then good for the seller.

As far as not buying anything off ebay, I partly agree but not completely, there are still some good Kombi buys to be had on ebay, Just make sure you go and check them out beforehand!

Never buy anything unseen. I did it once cause it was so cheap that for such a small price I couldn't be bothered going and having a look. As soon as I saw it I regretted the purchase. But having said that, it still ended up turning out alright so in hind sight I dont regret it.

8. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

It all started from one bloke advertising his bay for 25k,
    Now they're ridiculusly overpriced.

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

If you dont think its value, don't buy it! Ebay is structured to suck you in. Be warned!

10. malibu

malibu Member

Spotted at Berry Blast from the Past a few weeks ago, a bay with the price tag of $36,000 in the back window.Very clean & straight but for that money i would want pure gold door handles and Angelina Jolie on the the back seat.(if owned by a KC member ,disregard this thread)!

11. pvwg

pvwg Member

Price of any car is what you want to pay all cars are sold based on features.
    All Kombi's have great features they are unique, cool,wanted a fantasy, a way of life, something you dream about but only some us can have a Kombi.
    Yes Bay's and Splitties may becoming more expensive you are not just paying for a car but a lifestyle.We are enjoying what many others want a small price to pay in the scheme of things for a lot of fun and strange adventures.

Agree with malibu to get $36,000 you need something extra in the back Angelina would be a good start or a aussie natural like Jennifer Hawkins

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not quite so joel as the price has been gradually incresaing over the past 5 years and even before that sellers were asking top $$$ for heaps of junk and I should know as I looked at enough over a 2 year period before that so go back 7 years. I walked away from plenty supposed great cars and bargains and don't regret my actions or costs incurred as it saved me $$$ in the long term.

If you see something and it's overpriced then don't go look at it or bid on it. I knew of a Bay for sale adn did plenty of homework adn had even checked it roughly and sought others views - over priced so was taking my time but someone paid the asking and it sits in a shed now and rarely driven.

13. marcus

marcus Member

I think I saw this car at the Nat's this morning. I must be missing something. Either that or i'm way out of touch.

14. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I figure don't stress out about what I can't change, certainly warn others of a lemon. But getting angry at the seller doesn't help (g'Day kombi's is a great example.....) If someone is prepared to pay the asking price good on them.

15. DancingDoonars

DancingDoonars Active Member

What business is it of ours........or yours? If someone was selling this Kombi on a footpath and I stood there and warned prospective buyers, I'd expect to be smashed in the face for my trouble. How is this any different?

16. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

We are on a forum, we are here to help each other if this post stopped someone paying too much for a van with rust in it, then the forum has worked

Or would you prefer we dont tell the truth about others vans, so if someone was selling a split ute that a member knew wasnt restored as the seller states, should that member keep quiet because its non of his business.

I think you might be the only one that thinks we should keep quiet.

Dave

17. nick62

nick62 Member

Correct, Kombis arent rare, Hebmullers are:cool:

18. nick62

nick62 Member

Hmmmm, If I was offered 50,000 bucks plus A Jolie in the back I might take it, but 35k is not NEARLY enough;)

19. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Well said Dave.

It would be like withholding evidence. I think the majority of peolpe here appreciate the assistance the forum offers, particularly when buying a Kombi. The more honest we are the better the information is.