1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professor Plum - the Resto Story Continues....

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Kombi Kapers, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Kombi Kapers

Kombi Kapers Active Member

I'm pleased to report that the Professsor's resto has gathered pace again after a difficult couple of months. Progress suffered substantially due to problems with workshop space and key players suffered from the flu. Anyway, the Prof's now moved from the panel shop to the trim shop and good things are happening there.

All the engine bits are in the workshop and just need to be put together which should start pretty soon. (This engine will be a real hotty, more details later).

So, things are coming along (for now :cool: ).

I've managed to assemble a library of photos on Photobucket which you can see at

http://s607.photobucket.com/albums/...sto/Professor Plum Resto/?albumview=slideshow

Some of these pics have been posted previously but this set gives a better chronology of progress. Hope you enjoy.

Photos are courtesy of Wayne Penrose (Wayne Penrose VW), and K&D Smash Repairs. A public thank you here for Kevin's work at K&D - great stuff.

John

2. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Thats cool seeing it all as a slide show! just sit back and watch :)
    Nice work.
    I was originally going to do a purpleish bus, but have changed my mind 100 times since then :lol:

jono

3. davidp.

davidp. Member

Hi.
    Love the slide show - brilliant stuff...now that's no half hearted resto.
    Colour looks unreal.... well done! Bet you can't wait to get it moving under its own power and on the road.
    Cheers,
    David

4. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Great work, you must be stoked with the progress - looks like you found a pretty decent bus to start with?

5. Kombi Kapers

Thanks for all the support folks.

This resto business is something of a rollercoaster ride - you continually go from periods of progress and high elation to the depths of frustration and back again! I'm sure all other resto'ers have similar stories.

I spent 6 months thinking about the colours. In the end plum kept asserting itself so I guess plum was meant to be for me. One of the joys of doing a resto is being able to pick out your own colour and trim combo to suit your own tastes and I'm really pleased how its all turned out.

The sandblasting revealed a lot more rust than previously known. If you can afford it, sandblasting is a great investment for this reason alone. We knew about rust under the side windows and under the windscreen, but also found it in the sills behind the front wheels, in the doors, and in the panel under the engine door. We also found lots of bog in the rear quarter panels. Not unexpected I suppose and certainly not as bad as some of the restos I've seen on this forum.

The previous blue paint job was a cheapie - there were lots of stone chips which showed the old orange paint underneath. I was also amazed too how many dints and scratches were picked up and repaired by the panel beater.

The work done on the panels and paint of this kombi has given me new respect for panel beaters and painters. There is an awful lot of physical work done by hand required to do the job properly which is why you have to be prepared to pay a lot of dollars for this quality. Hopefully it will be worth the expense in the long run.

Hope to have some pics up for you as we progress.

John

6. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Good to see someone doing it the right way by the looks of it - at this rate I'm sure other members would be interested in putting some work through this guy's shop if you've given him a good rap and the photos are up for all to see. Looking forward to the end result, unusual colour scheme but I like it!

7. Kombi Kapers

Photos Added

Hi all,
    Haven't posted here for quite a while but I have been monitoring all the sites to keep in touch with Klub goings on.

In an earlier post I said that getting a resto done was like riding a roller coast and it has certainly been that way since June. Due to unforseeen circumstances which were nobody's fault we had to patiently endure 5 months of no progress on the resto of Professor Plum. It's been a very frustrating time during which I just had to grin and bear it.

But the good news is......................... we're back in the game!!! Progress has resumed in earnest!!

I visited the Professor in the workshop today and am pleased to be able to report all the trimming in place, all windows and new windscreen installed, and new stereo and scat gearlever installed. The exhaust and tinware have been sent away for ceramic coating and as soon as they're back the engine will be installed. Engine installation and fireup is plannned to happen before Christmas. That would do me nicely for a Chrissy present!

When work resumes after the holidays the wiring under the dash will be completed, new suspension components installed including a rear disk brake kit, and the radio aerial, driving lights and window tinting installed. So there's still a bit to do but overall the Professor is already looking gorgeous. I still have to decide on the final wheel/tyre combo and whether/how much we'll drop the front. Exciting times indeed! If we can stay on this schedule for completion Feb(?), Mt Gambier is a definite.

Pictures have been taken but I won't be able to get them posted up for a couple of days.

Nothing like progress to keep motivated with a resto! And to all you other resto'ers out there, keep at it and feed off the enthusiasm of others - in our hearts we're encouraging you all the way.

Cheers,...John

Photos added here. http://s607.photobucket.com/albums/tt157/KombiKapers/Kombi Resto 2/

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009