1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchasing 1989 T3

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Mct3, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Mct3

Mct3 New Member

Hey guys,
    First time poster and hopefully soon to be T3 owner. Have been looking for a camper for a little while and have fell in love with the T3!

Have been trolling through the internet and couldn’t find a good mix between completed project and a really run down van.

I want something that is clean and can sleep better in straight away but can also have as my project.

I have come across this on gumtree, have gone and had a look and is super clean and drives like a dream. Im going to go back and go through the buy check list that is recommended on here but is there anything in particular I should look out for? Is this price around the mark?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/runa...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Thanks!

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G’day
    Be careful posting links.
    If it’s a bargain some bum might grab it.

Whilst it is not expensive- it ain’t a bargain.

I am concerned why the black out on the side.

Also their comments about the rear seat.
    Looks more to me he has the 2 seater middle seat at the back.
    Not a straight swap over.

Rust is always the enemy
    T3 motors can be expensive-as can a bay.

Where about you located?

prone likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Ok - car and you both Qld.
    Does it have power steer?
    Air cond work?

4. prone

prone Active Member

I’d also be concerned about the black around the windows. It may be nothing but it looks a bit sus. Around the windows is a known spot for rust.

5. Mct3

Mct3 New Member

Yeah power steering worked but it didn’t have aircon, he said aircons weren’t too expensive to put in, does this sound right?

6. Mct3

Mct3 New Member

Ok, I’ll have to have a closer look, he had a lot of the panels off on the inside/ hadn’t finished putting the new ones on and everything looked really clean

7. Mct3

Mct3 New Member

Yeah I did think that but I thought it was pretty accessible on gumtree and has been there for a little while.

He said German engineered seats because the seatbelts not being over shoulder or something?

I’ll definitely have a closer look at these windows and I guess as good a look at the engine as I can.

I’m in Brissy so pretty close by

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  8. prone

prone Active Member

My understanding is that to have aircon done right it costs a lot. I had the overhead style aircon in my old T3 and it was an expensive exercise keeping it running.
    Nils on the forum and a few others have added aircon to their vans but I don’t recall anyone saying that it was easy or cheap.
    It does look like a nice T3 though :)
    Good luck

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Depends on your interpretation of weren't too expensive - it'll be aftermarket and putting one in a 30 yo will test any aftermarket product/install these days. You also have a large area to cool down and even though I had a Prestige in my '89/90 Caravelle it worked ok'ish but in about 2004 burnt out a thermostat with Prestige in Milton Brisbane unable to get it working to any satisfactory level after close to a grand was put into it :(:(:mad:

prone likes this.
  10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Someone has hacked in aircon vents into the top of the dash....... so nothing below that? o_O

And as Barry has pointed out, the rear seat was in the middle, over on the RH side, and would have had a seat belt accordingly. When it’s been moved to the rear, and now on the LH side, there would be no longer a seatbelt - German engineered, yes (for it’s original location). Roadworthy and legal in it’s current location? I doubt it.......

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  11. Mct3

Mct3 New Member

Hmm a few things going on that don't seem right, was the first one I've actually looked at so I might just let this one fly.. Im hooked on T3's though so the hunt will continue

Thanks for all the responses

12. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

This van did have air con and probably Prestige brand. The vents in the dash indicate this. The rear seat would need engineering as it has been moved to a different position than when it left the factory. Sure check for rust around the side windows, bulging under the rubber but I like the blacked out effect and in fact considered doing it to a prev Caravelle I owned and was not to cover up rust. I feel that the price is a little high for what it is so if you have to have this one go in hard.

Mct3 likes this.
  13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Oh, and Welcome to the Kombi Club! :)

Enjoy the ride.........;)

Mct3 likes this.
  14. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC Mct3. As the T3 Gurus have spoken, you might have to do a bit more research on T3 and this van if you are interested in it,A few things might not be correct but your research further might give you some answers to the points they have made about this bus that didn't seem right. It might give you something to bargain with and as mentioned above :rolleyes: you could go hard on it and it's common selling a car to have a higher price on it then what they really want. Fishing really putting it out there (higher price) a you never know you might just catch something.:eek:;) My two pops worth any way. Enjoy your search wherever it takes you.

David H and Mct3 like this.