putting a ee20 subaru diesel engine in 1970 type 2

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Jeremy, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

Based Cairns have a bay window 1970, have brought the engine and understand CAM bus can get after marketfrom US for 1 K, also locating a suitable gearbox that will match engine and handle 2wd 450 Nm of torque, my next issues is looking for someone to project manage the engineering as most people run a mile, as far as I understand it bolts in the same as any subaru motor, If anyone has schematics regarding engine mounts and cooling would be appreciated.

The misses is not too happy, paid 3500 for the engine, if I get no joy will look to sell will take 2500 just to see in a project.

please help

Bus is an Oz 1 off with 7 leather heated seats, engine would make it the best in world, also may consider selling with engine, no rust full respray put in 30K and you can do your self ha ha DSC00541.jpg

2. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

The CAN (controller area network) bus electronics on those motors are probably what scares most people from doing this conversion. I haven't played with one yet but if you're saying you can get a suitable wiring solution from the states for $1k its probably worth it... As for gearboxes the best solution is probably a reversed suby box (probably cost more than the engine), or maybe a diesel transaxle from a UK spec diesel T3?
    You'll also need custom made engine mounts and cooling system etc, try google there's heaps of different setups out there.

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

http://boxeer.com/ in the states have some info regarding CANBUS integration into a VW. (albeit at T3)

4. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

Have seen and contacted the vangon, am waiting for feedback on the gearbox they use, also the Can Bus there are a couple out there this is UK company http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdUScR7wmw, there is also a product in the US http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkNeHIPgXzc (would be nice to just slide this in the back), I hear the Hurricane is a more refined system and gives better performance. So that part seems fixed.

Regarding the gearbox, I have spoken with Subiegears and he will not supply as he has a test model that is eating gearboxes (conversions to 2wd), however watch this space, he is upgrading metallurgy.

I was talking to John Sherman Volks conversions, he seems confident you could put a 1973 post 4 speed only gearbox as they are the toughest they made, they bolt straight in and use cable clutch, etc. He recommends try it if it shreds gearbox go to Albins off road gears and get her rebuilt to spec. i like the idea of this as there is less engineering involvement (bit pricey though, waiting on quote), also he does conversion plates and is looking at bell housing as pretty much all Subaru engines have the same pattern (so less scary when looking at a stock vw to Subaru conversion). I am looking for a suitable vw 2 litre post 1973 gearbox if anyone has one please email details, ideally in a stock bus so has not been thrashed, would be a laugh to see if it works (old school meets new kid on the block).

So that just leaves cooling, and again John (who has been at this game since they started chopping VW's and has seen pretty much anything in a VW reckons radiator on the spare wheel recess side, simple and neat.

So my problem is who is crazy enough and has experience of stock conversions and ideally lives in FNQ would want to project manage.

from what I understand this is like the wright brothers 1st flight a boxer diesel in a combi 150 plus bhp with the economy of as diesel and the reliability of a Subaru, seems like a no brainier.

Oh and budget is not unlimited, I have engine and bus, please spread the word, would be good to get feedback from someone who has done conversion and maybe has schematics or drawings on beer mats. Maybe a mission for Man club over a long weekend, just for the craic (Oh need engineer for cert)

Cheers

5. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

The gearbox that John would have been talking about is the 2lt '091' box. We've got one with Albins 4th gearset in the lowlight bolted to a 3.8lt V6 and we haven't broken it yet. The ratio's (mainly R&P) are the biggest problem though and you might want to compare with the original suby diesel box to see if its going to be suitable.

6. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Do you mean like this -
    [​IMG]
    It's an extremely difficult setup to get working properly. Do yourself a favor and fit a radiator under the bus between chassis rails with a metal scoop/deflector to push air through it. Its easier, self bleeding, more effective with cooling and its been done successfully on many suby and other conversions. Have a look at good conversions on aussieveedubbers and VWKD.com, almost all run the rad underneath.

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Expect to spend at least $10k.

8. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Plus labour

9. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Are you selling it? Is it a Kemperlink conversion? What does it look like now? I think you might have some competition for best in the world.

[​IMG]

10. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

That sounds like the gearbox, any idea of the cost for parts from Albins, will email gearbox and engine am sure they can recommend best and most efficient ratios.

Regarding the radiator, my only issue underneath is ground clearance I live in FNQ and planning to do a bit of exploring, would loive it if you could email pic of the best spot as there is so much info on this however no one has said definitively. Also I am not mechanically minded, would like to find someone that way inclined to project manage and make these key decisions, if you know anyone.

My aim is to make her economical with air con and reliable, I started looking at 1.9 tdi and early 90's diesel transporters, but again there is so much choice, I nearly went with a in house rjes conversion in the uk, was approx 5k all done, but in wrong continent.

Many thanks and keep sending advise,

11. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

That sounds like the gearbox, any idea of the cost for parts from Albins, will email gearbox and engine am sure they can recommend best and most efficient ratios.

Regarding the radiator, my only issue underneath is ground clearance I live in FNQ and planning to do a bit of exploring, would loive it if you could email pic of the best spot as there is so much info on this however no one has said definitively. Also I am not mechanically minded, would like to find someone that way inclined to project manage and make these key decisions, if you know anyone.

My aim is to make her economical with air con and reliable, I started looking at 1.9 tdi and early 90's diesel transporters, but again there is so much choice, I nearly went with a in house rjes conversion in the uk, was approx 5k all done, but in wrong continent.

Many thanks and keep sending advise,

12. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

Sorry, doubled up there some how.

in reply to the Kamperlink question No they are a European conversion, this one is Australian homegrown. Ex military and was designed as a mobile command unit, they let off bombs in the desert and top brass would sit inside with monitoring equipment. As far as I know there as a similar one ex aus military in the UK see link, however she is a splitty
    http://www.chilli-gone-barmy.co.uk/gallery.php
    I think these are the only 2 in Ze Vorld, difference is mine has windows in rear and a single side door, have engineering cert (Queensland) for 7 x land rover leather seats and am working on sleeping configuration for 1 x single, 1 x double and 1 x queen, with the engine she would be I believe the best combi in existence (however I am biased).

I have tried getting info on her or others but there is nothing.

Is she for sale, I would consider selling, have had for 12 yrs but would be looking to recoup what she has cost or at least 75% = 30K aud, I would consider offer from an enthusiast as she deserves to be in the right hands, she is stock at the moment (came with no rear seating) hence cert and have bstripped her back to the frame and had full respray British racing green, interior is insulated with ply and front is leather and chrome.

I hope this answers your question, make an offer

13. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

It was around $350 per gearset when we ordered from Albins (+ fitting costs). They don't do different ring & pinion ratios though, just std replacement 4.57:1, and you might find the engine revving its guts out to maintain highway speeds (it might be ok, I don't know the ratios or the rev range for a suby diesel).

This is a pic of the scoop on an underneath mounted rad (pinched off VWKD) -
    [​IMG]
    Ground clearance still reasonable I think?

14. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

Gaz man

Just heard back from Albins, here is quote on parts for the 091 2 litre box Pricing is just for the parts, the following is their response "You will need – 1st/2nd gear set - $700 +GST,
    3rd gear set – $350 +GST, 4th gear set – $350 +GST, Crown wheel and pinion set – $1075 +GST, Pinion nut - $64.50 +GST, 3rd/4th slider hub - $177.40,
    4 spider diff (with 4 new spiders and 2 new side gears) – $1188.05 +GST, Even with all of that there is no guarantee that the gearbox will last (it should do as people race them all over the world with the above mods very reliably but always with a petrol engine, turbo diesel is an unknown) – it will be as strong as we can make it but it is still basically a gearbox that was designed for less than 100hp originally. I don’t know how much stronger a WRX gearbox is compared to a VW 2litre box – the WRX box can easily be destroyed in a completely stock car driven on the street, so I don’t know if I would choose that option over the Kombi box.
    We can help you choose ratios for the Kombi – we just need to know the following. Tyre size (diameter in mm), Maximum engine RPM, Approximate engine RPM that you would like in top gear at any particular speed (or speeds), Once we know this we should be able to put a set of ratios together for you that might suit and send you a gear graph to have a look at. Regards, Haden Douglas , 24 Wiltshire Lane, Delacombe Victoria 3356. P: 61 3 5335 8022 W: www.albins.com.au".

So sounds like cooling sorted, gearbox slide in an 091 if she runs fine happy days, if I destroy order above parts and she is ready for the Paris Dakar. Have engine, ECU (just a case of finding best for the job, now just need to look at mounting the engine, buy a conversion plate kit from John Sherman Volks Conversions and it may be prudent to upgrade to at least fron disks.

Just need a fool with love of combi and not money to help, spread the word.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

Is there anyone out there

only issue left is 2wd gearbox that is strong enough

16. Squalo

Squalo Active Member

This would be pretty special if you could make it work. I love turbo diesels and in a Kombi a turbo diesel would be fantastic.

Jeremy, maybe a strengthened automatic would be a better choice - I've read about 2 litre Kombi autos taking enormous punishment from serious motors. Also an auto and a modern turbo diesel work very nicely together. My 2008 Nissan Patrol has a fairly archaic 4-speed (3 plus overdrive) auto behind the 3.0 diesel and it's a combination made in heaven for both on and offroad use - great on sand too.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

Many thanks for that I was thinking about an older 4wd box, just need to look at making 2wd. I am getting to the point of selling engine if anyone interested as it seems to much as I am non techie, I dont mind throwing a further 5-10K at the problem but cannot find anyone with confidency, quite frustrating have engine in garage, would be great to find a project manager that can help resolve the issues.

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

try talking to todd at subarugears

19. kbskombi

kbskombi Member

Hi
    Ive just orderd the subarugears 5 speed and have a ej 2.5 waiting to go in .
    Loom being dont by Am electrict in Noosa ........ Cant wait to start putting it together ..... cant decide if i will keep "fake " spare wheel as radiator or go underneath.
    Im a little concerned about ground clearance on bush tracks is all .
    Cost ..... lots but for a bus that will be in family a long time well worth the $ and effort

20. kombivan

kombivan New Member

if your looking for a compendent mechanic that knows vw & conversions try John Styles at cundletown auto at Taree 65525115 he's good.