1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qld Bushfires

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Barry, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

52B5B68B-13E4-4601-879F-842B93C9B1B1.jpeg

was watching the news and it came up about the fires Peregian (?) way.

Sadly I caught a glimpse of this baby.

Even sader is the talk that these fires were deliberately lit.

Hope whoever owns it is safe and ok.

TeeBee and Wayne murray like this.
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Think I know it.
    Checking.
    Squidy also in area.

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yup, Squidy is ok for now.....thank goodness...
    Stay safe people.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Elsie 76 and TeeBee like this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I just got an email invitation for the “free Qld holiday”, (1 day up, 3 days on the fire line, and 1 day back), but I’m off on my annual holiday, picked because it is during what used to be, the “low” fire season, before it ramps up. o_O

The extended low rainfall has made many areas high risk, that aren’t normally, and very widespread, so please stay safe and vigilant.

ruby6689 and TeeBee like this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

A dead lowie:(. As to deliberately lit:mad:.
    Keep safe Queenslanders.

Elsie 76 likes this.
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

"Teenagers are helping Police with their enquiries" :rolleyes: ..... a friend whose step daughter lives up there says it's 13 year olds :eek:

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I was sent the same picture yesterday Barry, not a pretty sight to see.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    A bad combination.
    The South East had continual rain till recently while everywhere just inland and west has been continuation of the drought.
    So plenty of fuel.
    Temps mostly mid ,high 20s with last week some mid 30s.
    Vegetation on the coast has dried out so primed for fire.
    Fire reduction has only just started.
    Think the fire was on the national Forest of wallum country, paperbark and long grass, which is west of the beach and behind dune residential strip from Noosa south.
    And to make matters worse, started late in avo during 65kmhr winds from West. Humidity low.
    Winds were bad , gusty and continued all night.
    My local phone tower is still out from the winds.
    Would expect above safe flying conditions plus night precluded waterbombing.
    Would have been an impossible situation for fire crews as the undeveloped land is all dense wallum. ie , impossible to drive vehicles thru.
    Plus the subdivisions have been cut into this country so no natural firebreak.

Not as big as a lot of fires but pretty fierce and driven straight onto densely populated area. Stanthorpe had a bigger one a few days earlier.

Luckily the wind dropped next day and water bombing gave crews a chance to get in close.

Could have been much worse, bit like the sights from Californian fires munching through dense residential areas.

Also showed the need for big water bombers.
    One was brought in from Canberra.

Ninga likes this.
  9. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Had a shit couple of weeks as far as the fires, my parents and brother and family were evacuated from their property in Stanthorpe. Luckily only away for a day and no damage in the end. Bay window owner across the paddock so hopefully that was ok.
    Was due to head out for a visit but deemed unsafe.
    The fires here on the sunny coast were pretty horrendous and spot fires are still igniting. Luckily we were only on watch and act and they never got real close.
    Many hundreds evacuated, the lowie owner I don’t know but is known by others around here, believe owners name is Jim.
    I opened up my home to my customers as an option as I do a fair bit of work around Peregian, luckily they were all evacuated but had other accommodation and no loss.
    The fact that the fires here were deliberately lit is just unbelievable, two teenagers have been charged but I don’t know to what extent. Hopefully whatever they get gives them time to realize the enormity of what they caused.

I truly admire and take my hat off to all the firies and emergency personnel involved. An amazing effort and only one property lost here.
    I’ve driven past the area a few times now and it’s unbelievable the damage that’s been caused. The vegetation will regenerate and I hope the people get back to normal ASAP.

68BUS, TeeBee, David H and 3 others like this.
  10. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Glad you’re safe.

12. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Glad you're safe @Squidy. Unbelievable the fires were deliberately lit. :( So scary for the people and animals caught up in the fires.

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Good to hear all is well,:rolleyes:@Squidy .I like to get my hands on the culprit :mad:and see if they like to be the hot potato.:eek: