1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question fo T4 and T5 owners

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by glow-monkey, Nov 4, 2009.

1. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Hi all, Mum and Dad have decided they are getting a camper as retirement is on the doorstep and they have the travel bug. As hard as i could try, they wont accept that they need the rarest Splitty camper they can buy.

Dad was very keen on a T5 though. Problem is he has been madly reading as much as possible about them online, and has found a hell of a lot of bad press about them from the UK, a lot of problems with flywheels and recurring gearbox ,turbo and electrical problems, poor parts availability etc. It does seem that most of the reports were by delivery drivers so probably got flogged a lot in low gear changes pulling weight around in traffic. Volkswagen in Toowoomba admitted they had a recall on a bad batch of flywheels, but that is the only problem they admit to knowing about over here.

Anyway my question is to all T4 and T5 drivers, whats your experience here in Oz. The other option they are considering is a bloody Hiace as Dad hates mercs. and Transits

Thanks
    Glen.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I love my T4 Glen. Are they looking at buying new? The Trakkadu is lovely. I will send you a PM.

3. Royce

Royce Active Member

glen
    we have a T5 which now has 60,000kms and it has been faultless mechanically. there has been some trim issues but more likely kids are a bit rough with it more than anything else. We got the 128k, 2.5 TDi and a 6 spd auto, and it is brilliant, and tows our 25ft van easily. We have ordered another one to replace our ford, we are so impressed with it. This one will have 4motion and 6spd manual, they drive really nicely.

Check with Judy's husband Mick, he has a couple of T4s and then there is Melissa who ahs had a T4 since new.

Cheers
    Royce

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I thought they fixed the gearbox issue by the end of the T4's?

All the tradies I know who have the 2.5 turbo diesel can't get enough of it! Awesome m/p/g and great pulling power all through the rev range!

I have driven the T5 4Motion 2.5 TD and I can tell you it pulls and goes like a Mack and also cruises like a train.

5. Royce

Royce Active Member

Gets my vote too. Trakka do some really nice conversions.

6. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Yeh they are looking at new.

LWB 2.5L 128kw 6 spd Auto with sliding windows fitted to right centre panel, left door and rear left panel. About $52,000 for the van. Then doing the interior themselves, although Dad likes the look of the Discoverer campers Slimline Poptop roof so they may look at getting that fitted, if they can get it done without having to get the whole setup.

Aparently there is a new model with a different gearbox and motor, but VW arent sure what the specs will be for the Aus model whether it will be the 5cylinder twin turbo or not, considering dad had a whinge about it going to take 16weeks from ordering for the current one to be delivered I doubt he'd wait for the next model.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  7. kombi rescue

kombi rescue New Member

2.5 TDI T5 auto 160ks on the clock ....To date 2 sets of tyres 1x set of front brake pads 1x airfilter element 1x waterpump 1x air con belt and I tow fully laden trailers with kombi,s on the back and thrash it respect it....buy one buy 2 your dad will love it. cheers steve

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

One of our friends bought a new Trakkadu and brought it round for me to admire. It was very well done indeed. So far he has reported no issues. The only thing I thought a bit odd was the location of the water tank. It seemed to be pretty close to the ground though I doubt that he would drive to some of the places I go. I have been caught out twice with a hole in a water tank in my caravanning days. I now prefer the tank where a rock or other rubbish can't get at it. The other thought was that if I were to go with a Trakkadu I would opt for an off road pack as it gives that extra bit of clearance. This is not an issue if you simply go from one caravan park to another but then why would you get a camper? It would be cheaper to say get a Subaru Outback and stay in cabins though must admit to have your own bed is great. Just my opinion as I like to camp in remote places.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  9. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

We also have a T4 and I just love it, we brought it with a buggered gear box ,so it now has a fully rebuilt auto gear box. The costs for repairs are not cheap we ended up paying nearly $5,000 for the gear box. We were quoted as high as $7,000.
    Ours is the eight seater Caravelle and it has heaps of room for eight adults and loads of room in the back for all the gear. The only negative with ours is it is a bit under powered.

10. Shifter

Shifter New Member

I have a dual cab T5, 128kW, 5 cylinder, 4 motion, currently done 16,000 km's. It's a flat tray configuration and carried a slide on camper which all up is in the region of 1 tonne. It has stiffened suspention and larger wheels and tiers on the rear. It's the best vehicle I have ever driven. It pulls well, accelerates like a car and is soo easy to drive. The build quality is superb in what is commercial van. I'm really happy with it

[​IMG]

This picture shows the full rig. Just had a 15,000k service in which I insisited that ALL drive train oils and brake fluid was changed - cost just over $1k, which for what they did was ok.
    I would recommend the T5 without doubt - it took me ages to find what we finally got.

11. njg02

njg02 Active Member

I love my T5. SWB 128kW 6sp man. We bought a bare van with the wing doors. I preferred the wing doors because of my arthritis. The doors open with the boat trailer on. We tow a 1.6t whittley cruiser. We put windows in the side door and behind the driver and had a removable rear seat fitted. When not on the water we go camping. I've got over 135,000km on and from memory I don't think anything major has been done. I've still got original tyres on the back and a second set on the front. Still original brakes too. Best economy is 1200km out of the tank which was driving from Brisbane City to Campbelltown, with a detour to Nelson Bay. Have driven to Lake Mungo out north of Balranald. We had to drive through mud from the first rain they had in a long while. A couple of korean 4wd's got stuck.

Neil