1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions re fuel hose & car seats

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Kombi-KupL, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Kombi-KupL

Kombi-KupL Member

Hi everyone,

We've been absent a LONG time and poor Hank hasn't been driven in year's . We would like to get back on the road, however we need to replace the fuel hose so am after a point in the right direction as to where one gets this to suit a '72.

Also keen to see photos etc for how you have installed car seats. We will need two. Our girls are super excited to go travelling in dear Hank one day in the not too distant future!

Thanks,
    Kombi-KupL

chris taylor likes this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Ok, so are you after the full compliment of fuel hose(s) :rolleyes: - are your running a Type1 (1600 with dog house fan) or Type4 (flat engine with twin carburettor's) which I assume you have as your signature says 1.7L

Fuel Filler - https://www.justkampers.com.au/211-201-125-d-fuel-filler-hose-vw-t2-bay-1972-1979.html
    Fuel Hose & clamps - https://www.justkampers.com.au/search/result/index/?cat=4&q=fuel hose

Don't forget enough hose for the Fuel Vapour System (if your '72 has it) -

09-FuelBreatherHoses.jpg

SEATS - most installed with fronts on runners and rears locked into the bolt mounting points on the floor ;) ...... variation the original mounting may require engineering certification for the modification o_O

deger likes this.
  3. Kombi-KupL

Kombi-KupL Member

Hi Kahuna, Thanks for your reply. It's a 1.7 I think but not the original motor, I think it's been updated.

From the diagram we have a split in our number 9 hose, which goes from the fuel pump to the T piece, would it be advisable to replace them all while we are in there? (From T to carby as well)

Thanks for your assistance,

Regards, Kombi KupL.

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

In regards the child seats.

The legal way to do it is have a CRAB installed - Child Restraint Anchor Bar (I think).
    It is a steel tube that is installed above your cargo floor area behind the rear seats. And it will have your child anchors on it.
    These can be certified. And there are companies who seem to offer this service in most major cities.

I did not want a bar going through the sleeping area, so I have chosen to install baby anchor points in the cargo area floor above the fuel tank. They are very solid to mount to, but I am not sure if the mounting height meets ADR regulations.

For the middle row seats, I have mounted them through the floor.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Definately change all hoses.
    Use EFI fuel hose.
    Correct sizing .
    Just kampers should have both plus correct clamps.
    Check spiggots into carbs are tight.
    Pays to remove them if possible and use a good metal epoxy to secure.
    Tie wire as well.

johnvw and Wiz like this.
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hose #9 goes from the "T" piece for the vapour system into the air filter box.

Also check the "T" piece because if it is the plastic type it can crack and you'll get fuel smell/odours.

As it's a '72 you should only need one section of delivery hose #7 as the tank on the '72 & '73 had a longer metal spout, however, if the tank has been replaced then it is possibly for a later model and as such a shorter spout and so the 2nd piece of delivery hose will be required @ #6 ..... only way to check is visual and feel through the paint tin lid hole or if the engine is out then remove firewall.

7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Also to add 72 -73 have an extra breather hose on the top middle of the tank to the fuel filler neck. The rubber elbow at the tank is 14mm id which is no longer available. You have to get the beetle hoses from the same period for the same purpose.

8. Kombi-KupL

Kombi-KupL Member

Hi 68BUS

I see! We will look into the CRAB bar you mention and see what our best option is!

Have a nice Easter!

Kombi-KupL

9. Kombi-KupL

Kombi-KupL Member

Hi cbus,

Hmm I think we will change all as you advise. We live about 2.5 hours from Adelaide, so might replace as we can and then take to the mechanic in Daw Park (hmm that reminds me I need to check they are still operating!) To check the other items to ensure safe etc!

Have a good Easter!

10. Kombi-KupL

Kombi-KupL Member

Hi KahunaKombi,

I wish we ready knew what it was replaced with. Will have to do some detective work I think! Thank you for your knowledgable insight!

Have a good Easter
    Kombi-KupL

11. Kombi-KupL

Kombi-KupL Member

Hi Wayne murray,

So much we have to learn! Thank you.
    I assume it was replaces with something newer than a 72-73, but will have to find out.

Have a good Easter,
    Kombi-KupL

12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

They are new hoses that you use . I’ m mentioning the year as that is the model you need to find the replacement part from at a Vw parts supplier

13. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

It's 12mm. I just use a length of Contitech 12mm hose for that part. It's flexible enough to serve it's purpose with a clamp.

14. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

I see quite a few cars in Adelaide that have sumps full of fuel, fuel hose that cracks as soon as you crimp it, and the wrong size that slips right off the fittings. There's only one hose that does the job, is Ethanol blend resistant and is not that cohline/codan rubbish that splits after a few months.

Wiz and syncro like this.
  15. deger

deger Active Member

Great question and thread. One quick question; do the breather pipes use the hard to source 7.6mm fuel hose? On a side note, why is it that the bus uses 7.6mm when everything else is 8mm? Is 8mm really a throwback to imperial and 5/16 ?

16. Ijam

Ijam Active Member

I also like to keep the fuel filter out of the engine bay , heaps better under the bus near fuel tank outlet. The less joints in the engine area the better.

oldman likes this.
  17. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Should be common practice……;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Ijam likes this.
  18. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Re fuel hoses.best advise i can give you is make sure the fuel hose replcement is high preasure fuel injector hose ,any thing else and you COULD end up with major issues. Regular fuel hoses do not appear to be able to stand up to modern day aggressive fuels and break down quickly.

Wiz likes this.
  19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I really do not understand why high pressure would make any difference? Probably cause more problems with lack of flexibility.

chris taylor likes this.
  20. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Not the case at all.....
    They are less prone to perishing and splitting due to aggressive type fuels we use today.
    I have been using them now for over 30 months and unlike normal type hoses there have been no sign of any leaking or
    Splitting unlike the ordinary fuel hoses.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021