1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions re fuel hose & car seats

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Kombi-KupL, Mar 25, 2021.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Any other point such as spigots should be sorted properly as a matter of course given their habit of being loose.
    I prefer EFI ( correct sizing) as it is considerably more split resistant.
    More rub resistant
    The braided is very difficult to see when it has deteriorated and as mentioned, the number of crap brands available with a history of failures.

Easy and upgraded fix is a good EFI and correct clamps.
    Nothing but an safety improvement from all angles.

Wayne murray and chris taylor like this.
  2. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

That's what I'm getting at. It's no longer acceptable to have people sell and or fit stuff that puts ourselves and our vans at risk .

syncro likes this.
  3. chris taylor

Thanks Col ,you have explained it perfectly .

1500king likes this.
  4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Where do you get good quality hoses from in the correct size? 5.5mm, 6mm and 7mm? What brands are good?

EFI hose, split resistance yes.
    Rub resistance. If you need something with more rub resistance you shouldn't be working on cars. Hoses shouldn't rub.
    EFI hose being stiffer causes damage to the spigots during removal. (If you use the correct size)

Worm drive clamps are garbage. I've always used ABA/Norma clamps since the 1970s.

How come when you buy a new car the hoses last for many years? Someone must make them.

And we all agree that crap hoses shouldn't be sold.;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    chris taylor likes this.
  5. chris taylor

Ok well we both agree on two points at least.:cool: but let's try and get you away from EFI :rolleyes: for moment ,even though I use EFI ,the whole point of this forum is to get the message out there that there that we have been sold hoses that were just not compatible with today's fuels and we all know that !!! Now having said that what hoses do we use ??? I well my preference is EFI ,synchro if you can or anyone else can find something else that comes up with correct specs and will do what we all want it to do then post it on here ,at least that's a start to preventing kombies becoming aircooled BBQs o_O.
    Enjoy your Sunday ....I am, im going for a cruise along the beach, find a nice spot and cook my self lunch and watch the world go by.
    hooroo:D

David H, oldman and syncro like this.
  6. Ijam

Ijam Active Member

Good morning, I have just received JC news letter and shock horror!! Listed sold by length is rated fuel hose sae marked and suitable for 20% ethanol .

chris taylor likes this.
  7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

JK….? :rolleyes:
    They’ve been selling it for ages…….and the proper clamps.;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Wiz, chris taylor and Ijam like this.
  8. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Take a look at what is keeping fuel in the carbs. The o-rings and diaphragms. The originals stand up well, usually 40-45 years old by the time I pull them out on rebuilds. The only thing keeping fuel in a carb is a 0.5mm thick accelerator pump diaphragm. How often do you see them rupture? Almost never. Why? The type and quality of rubber. Same applies to fuel hose.

By all means, use what makes you happy.

syncro and chris taylor like this.
  9. 1500king

Buy some and see how long it lasts on the car. only way to find out. If it's anything like their Cohline-2134 they have pictured in the ad, it won't be long at all.

syncro, chris taylor and Grantus like this.
  10. chris taylor

No. Buy what keeps you safe.

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Without debating EFI v low pressure. What brands make good quality hose besides Continental?

I cannot seem to find anything other than that I have been warned not to use.

chris taylor likes this.
  12. chris taylor

I think I Googled fuel hoses originaly and just followed through till I came up with all the info. Try doing that.

13. 1500king

I have the hoses I use, through extensive road km's and service life inspections. I've already mentioned them. You have a great point hence my "By all means, use what makes you happy", as I sure haven't seen any safety in the others mentioned and is why I import the majority of my fuel hose

What do you consider as safe?

Just slap some fuel hose on 45 year old carburettors that are falling apart?

14. 1500king

The only other hose I have settled on using is the Gates Barricade range. The 3/16 carb hose for standard carbs.

There are some new formulation cohline hoses I'd like to try, will have to import them.

syncro likes this.
  15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

In my experience I have used and sell Codan 5.6mm (not to be confused with cohline) FI fuel hose and it has been perfect for me.

It's been in there for a good 6 years now and gets checked every year. It replaced what was clearly repro cloth braided fuel hose and I won't go back to it. For me it was the fact you cannot see the hose deteriorating below the cloth braiding and I cannot trust it again.

My own opinion and not discounting others. Just stating what works for me.

MAP77, melissa, oldman and 3 others like this.
  16. chris taylor

Ok what you are doing is the only way to go ,,,,, recognise a problem, do your research, find a solution and fix the problem ,safety first. for yr van and family.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I have just bought some Gates hose from Repco. (Made in Mexico) It's funny how Dayco 5/16" hose is a different size to Gates 5/16" hose.

18. 1500king

The T3 hose is also 7mm, not 5/16..

Even the injector tails are 7mm. You have to burn them off with a soldering iron to change them and not damage the barbs on injectors. Plenty of FI buses in the US going up in flames as they have used 5/16 on injector tails.

Unfortunately, I think there are a few vans in this thread that are rolling BBQ's with wrong sizes, hose they think is 'safe' but is not.

I have been sprayed in the face by supposedly the types of EFI fuel hose referred to above that has cracked radially and internally at the carb barb fitting. Outside was intact.

If your cars sit for more than 6 months without rotating fuel out, change the fuel hose. The fuel, once it goes off, destroys rubber, and doesn't matter which hose you have fitted. I've seen it eat through fuel pressure regulator diaphragms too.

All fuel hose has a service life. I change them out by time as a maintenance function. 5 years on the hoses I use, mandatory on recommissioning a car after storage.

Fuel hoses are not your only problem. Lots of cars out there running a rattle pump, over pressure of fuel system and no safety cutoff functions. Most of the cars that burn to the ground have had no maintenance on the fuel system, incorrect sizes hoses with loose brass fittings, and nothing to stop the tank emptying itself once the motor stops.

How many of you are running around with split vapour lines and tee from the tank? I have seen somebody's van go up in a fireball when they filled up at the servo, then turned a corner, only to have fuel spill onto the distributor below the breather tee. Was already warned.... but you know... "she'll be right".

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    syncro, oldman and chris taylor like this.
  19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I know.

Porsche is 8mm.

I also do not believe in the gorilla method of buying oversize hoses and tightening the clamps as hard as possible to make it seal.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    1500king, Wiz and chris taylor like this.
  20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Just an update on the Gates' hose. It seems to be good quality and is much more flexible than other EFI hoses. Unfortunately it only comes in 5/16" and 1/4".

I also need to buy some 6mm/8mm adapters as I have a Frankenstein car with hose size changes that I would like to fix properly.

What are other people here using for the 5.5mm hose?