1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R&R Compliance Vic - Rocky now seats 4!!!

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Rocky, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

After a long journey with a few modifications to the old R&R.... Or should I say the building of a new one using the of hinges.... Finally, we can legally carry 2 rear passengers!
    I can now legally reach the fridge while Kate drives!

Woooohoooooooo

Details will follow as time permits to assist anyone else wanting to go down this path in Vic.

Cheers, Chris

2. sacky

sacky Member

Great news rocky but does the R&R fold down to a bed as i have been led to believe the bed has to be fixed down so it cant move. I got mine done as a 4 seater about 2 years ago the R&R was not looked at but since then the laws have got a lot harder hope this opens the door to more 4 seaters

3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Worth all the hassle in my opinion. Share some details Chris. Who did you use and how much did it cost?

4. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Basically,
    Ours is now a bed by night, seat by day.
    Rules are - steel frame, lock backrest automatically in seat position, seat belt bolts to only hold seat belts.... And we have to display stupid signs so that passengers know they are on a legal seat :(
    I will dig up photos and/or diagrams tomorrow. For contacts, in the interests of privacy, please pm or email for more info.

Cheers, Chris

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Inspection etc was $274, modifications I made myself mostly, so difficult to price. Details of inspector by PM only, he was no walkover, but fair all the same. Some welding skills and knowledge of trading in beer went a long way with the modifications :)

6. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Do you mean to say that when I was sitting in the back on the way to D-Bay I was actually breaking a law of some kind? Kinda cool feeling like an outlaw, and I didn't even know it!

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

You got it Nick, we were outlaws back then! Oh the memories...

8. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I guess I got a bit ahead of myself.
    Engineers inspection (VASS)- complete
    Unfortunately we need to physically take the car to VicRoads to be inspected, so will have to duck back into Vic from SA once we receive the VASS report.

Bugger, but at least the hard work is completed....

9. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

WOuld you be able to psot some pucs of what you did Rocky.

I am going to be going own a similar path soon.

10. sacky

sacky Member

South of the border rocky oops west of the border we wont hold that against you SA laws must be tuff

11. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Ok, see below the process, following will be a few pics of the set up.....
    its a bit long winded, but if you are interested in the process, then read on....

Rockys original seat –
    Click Clack hinges about six inches along base and six inches up backrest – functioned well but do not prevent the seat from folding forwards in the event of impact.
    Base frame consisted of compressed timber upright supports, with small angle section running back to meet 50mm angle section, which ran across firewall and used seatbelt bolts to brace the whole structure in place.
    The lift up hinges for the backseats consisted of 2x solid steel bars per side, attached to an angle section which had a hinge attached to the top, which the seat then bolted to. This hinge allowed the seat base to hinge up for acess to the space below.

Base Modification –
    I had some 3mm steel bases made up to replace the timber supports, these were made wth a 50mm flat lower section, plus a 30mm flat section around all other edges. Holes were drilled in the same location as for the timbers (for fitting of lifting hinges).
    Beneath the seat, we had 6mm plates welded between the chassis rails and again, just to the rear of the rail, adjacent the rear wheel tub. Through this, we drilled and fitted 2x 10mm high tensile bolts/nyloc nuts to each side.
    The 50mm angle support bar was removed for two reasons – the seat belt mounting points should be used ONLY FOR SEATBELTS, but also, the new steel supports didn’t require the extra support any more.
    I removed the flip up hinges as they seemed a weak point, but we also planned to use a drawer for acecess to this space so no longer needed the hinges.
    High tensile bolts and lock nuts were used in all locations in place of the old steel ones.

Seat Modifications –
    I extended the click clack hinges so that they could be securely bolted/screwed to the seat a lot further along the base and backrest edges. Later on, I continued the backrest frame up from the hinges and across the top of the backrest so that now the backrest support is a welded steel frame incorporating the click-clack hinges and seat base end frames.
    We built the seat bases out of heay(25mm) form ply, this was more due to availability (got it for free), but it is also a very strong and durable material.
    I used 20mm long, 8mm threaded inserts for attaching the seat base to the lifing mechanism(4 per side).
    The final problem was the requirement for the seat back to be locked in the upright position. I spent around an hour opening doors on every model of car made at a self serve wrecker to look for a suitable donor mechanism, eventually I found that 80’s Citroens had a simple hooking mechanism which I could bolt to the side of my steel frame, coupled with some Nissan door latch loops (which I bolted through the vertical firewall – after removing fuel tank – with high tensile bolts and backing plates. A bit of messing around to get this all lined up, but works a treat.

SeatBelts –
    Just suck it up and buy new ones – we got a lap belt for the inner seat and a shoulder strap for the outer, these did not have to be retractable. Simply bolt them through original mounting points, one strap per bolt, they should be supplied with fitting equipment.

The Process –
    In Victoria, these must be approved by a VASS authorized engineer – we accessed this through the Vicroads website and also had advice from a company in Melbourne who do a lot of bus seating mods – Jamiesons Autofit. I am happy to pass on the engineers details via pm or email only, he took a little time to get used to, but if you present things well and do not try to hide anything, he turned out to be ok.
    He also made us fit 2x plaques in the vehicle, prominently mounted – basically so that people in the seats know that they are legal????? Stupid if you ask me and a little weird, but it was required, so we splashed out and had some made on brass with a black covering colour, so the brass colour is nicely engraved and shows through the black. We were told that lettering must be at least 6mm tall, but he also gave an example page which showed it a little smaller, so we got the example copied by the engraver and it was accepted.
    I made the modifications myself, so cant really cost them – except for the steel bases with cost me $30 at a local fabricator, seatbelts cant remember, latches cost about $6 from memory. Various steel bits, bolts and consumables probably amounted to $50(ish).
    Engineers inspection and VIcroads cost - $264 inc GST paid to the engineer.
    Plaques cost $20 at n engraving place.
    The visit to Vicroads with the paperwork from the engineer was very uneventful – we had to wait for the paperwork, but continued our road trip to Adelaide, then doubled back to Mildura and can now continue heading for Perth! Basically, they had a look at the paperwork, then a very quick look at the van, changed the detail in their system to reflect 4 people, and off we went, now legally able to carry four people!

The new steel seats and improved mechanisms will save people a lot of problems, but the process would be the same. I strongly advise that anyone doing this consults the particular engineer before any modifications to save any wasted time as different guys seem to want different things. In the end, I hope that this can help somebody with the same process.

Cheers,
    Chris

12. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Ok, now for a few pictures - I didn't take too many while putting it together, so have scraped up what I could...

The original base - [​IMG]

The base rebuilt - it is resting on the bottom of the seat here - the black is the form ply
    [​IMG]

One of the lifting hinges shown extended
    [​IMG]

The addition of the frame around the backrest - You can just see how the angle is now extending across from the upright section
    [​IMG]

13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

The seat latches - these are required to "Automatically Latch in the upright position....[​IMG]

One of the floor backing plates - [​IMG]

And finally, the silly plaques which were supposed to be 6mm lettering and "prominently displayed"[​IMG]
    [​IMG]