1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio hidden aerials

Discussion in 'Interior' started by gordo 77DC, Apr 15, 2017.

1. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

I have read a couple of posts in resto threads regarding these, and also some searches on the net seem it is a hit or miss using the powered electronic aerials?

A product like this will get good reviews in forums, and then get bagged in others.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-uY51av94EoO/p_12044UA20/Universal-Antenna.html?showAll=N&tp=2369

Some ideas include mounting a standard (exterior) under the body (insulated), this is said to work really well, or even mounting it in the back seat where it will get the benefit of the rear widow - if the venetians don't interfere - :eek:

As my ute will go to the trimmers in a month I am lucky to have the option for it to go anywhere, as long as it works.

FM does seem to be quite successful, AM a bit more difficult - mine would need to be AM/FM.

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Regards
    Gordon
    (If there is a thread elsewhere discussing this,- sorry I didn't find it - just tell me where to go o_O)

2. peter915

peter915 Active Member

I've already removed the aerial and associated hole in the body on my T3.
    Never liked the thing being there, plus it leaked rain water. Stock location is front left upper above the headlight.
    Both my VW Caddy and my 1986 911 had radio aerial in the windscreen glass.
    I like the idea of a chrome aerial laid flat, angled on the roof just above rear view mirror.

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

A bee sting or shark's fin off a Polo?
    They work well and not visually intrusive.
    Just a matter of what look you want

4. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

Thank you Peter, Barry,

Appreciate your input.

Prefer not to add anything to the body and glass - found this one - which is different to the the 6ft 1 toner whip aerial I might have got away with :p :p.
    http://www.chromelondon.com/underbody-chassis-aerial-antenna-new--universal-3598-p.asp

Expensive:eek:, but interesting to see what's around.
    They have been putting aerials under cars/running boards since the 30's/40's for tech reasons, and guys are now doing it to their rods for aesthetics.

They also have restored period radios, - put a link onto split tech for a really nice bus/picnic radio.

I have sent them an email to see if my idea is feasible.

Regards
    Gordon

5. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Hey Gordon

Very keen to see how you get on with this one as I'm not that far off doing the same (if my $$ make it that far). I want a retro radio and am thinking I'll go with a 12v hidden aerial but still haven't decided on which one to get. I started a thread on the topic but haven't got any further yet.

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/aerials.54351/

6. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

Thought I was onto gold here;

http://www.tunetrapper.com/Hidden_Car_Antennas.html

Then read some more reviews, and this bike test:
    http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/antenna.html :(

The quest continues.....we can send men to Mars ..oops the moon;) 50 years ago - and I am unable to listen to am in a steel boxo_O

Just heard back from the earlier link Chrome London, and are confident it will be fine ....
    but my conversion AUD $280 + freight:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: for a coat hanger!!

You know what is said about audio - 10% of product ..90% of the problems..:p

Regards
    Gordon

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Maybe you should try a coat hanger mounted, but insulated, under you bus and see what happens

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So someone still listens to AM channels? o_O

Way longer reach with the right aerial, (does anyone still make an AM specific aerial?), but more sensitive to power lines, tunnels, and engine electrical interference than FM channels.......

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="gordo 77DC, post: 606864, member: 206712"

The quest continues.....we can send men to Mars ..oops the moon;) 50 years ago - and I am unable to listen to am in a steel box.[/QUOTE]

Well, they didn't build a roof over the rocket when launching it . ;)

10. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

..... and they dragged him kicking and screaming into the digital world......:p:p:p
    [​IMG]

11. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

I know a few guys that have used a standard aerial tucked up and extended behind the dash, held in place with a few cable-ties. Sounds like a bit of an 'agricultural solution', but its cheap, hidden and works well (not sure about AM, I haven't listened to that since 1984 :p)...

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

C'mon you heathens

AM does the best footy calls by far.

Cruising home on a Sunday evening after a weekend away tuned in to 702 ABC listning to the mighty Tiggers (not! ...... NRLthat is) for the 4:00 pm afternoon call is heaven

FM is a waste of air space.

For me it is live sport on AM or my music

13. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I have a universal under dash aerial as shown in the link from the first post.

It works but not great and when the radio reception is stretched along the freeway, this aerial is useless - needs a strong signal to work.

I might go with the glass mounted one - but not a fan of the exterior mounted ones - holes means rust!

14. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I just ordered a glass mount as I had the holes welded up.

Syncro27 likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You have convinced me its a useless medium ;)

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Pffft......... heathens :)

17. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

Let us know how your glass mounted aerial goes LuckyPhil>

Read a post from a guy who put in a 4 quid amplified aerial, - took the amplifier apart after it didn't work - and there was nothing inside - just the led. :confused:

Regards
    Gordon

18. gordo 77DC

gordo 77DC Active Member

Thank you Gazman,

Had read about guys doing this, and is a good possibility - industrial ? its a Kombi!!;)
    The post I read - he slid it into a length of clear tube for insulation.

..or you could play the radio through your phone with this adaptor, - its getting a bit tech advanced for me..:oops:

The DAB+ coverage is not extensive, cities only -

Well remember our radios have MP3 or Bluetooth connectivity so you could play radio via an app instead of an aerial. Or you could fit our DAB adapter that links to your phone via bluetooth giving you every digital station again with out an analogue antenna.

http://www.chromelondon.com/dab-adapter---adds-dab-radio-to-your-classic-car-radio-7642-p.asp

This is a British DAB adaptor, not sure if compatible to Australian frequencies,?

Still needs an aerial, but not as obtrusive as some.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pure-Hig...Radio-Bluetooth-Music-Streaming-/252407324755

and spoke to Retro Audio and their radios aren't DAB compatible?

My head hurts:p, this might be the answer.

Regards
    Gordon

Attached Files:

19. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You also need that little mouse to do the running around to generate the power for it as well.:p. It seems you have your head on for them technical terms you are using there gordo DC77:confused::eek: .It is way over my head and know it still hurts:rolleyes:.

20. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Ok. So I'm going to give the Retro Sound Amplified Hideaway Antenna a go.

HOT-HPA1-641_1024x1024.jpg

Questions:
    1. Does the cord have to be fully extended and/or can I cut it down; and
    2. Where is the best place to mount it?
    Any tips?