1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-chroming bumpers advice

Discussion in 'Body' started by Deluxe, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Started sorting through the parts for my resto van today and decided to polish up the chrome bumpers to see how they turned out.

No real pitting but they have a few bends and dents in them and will need knocking into shape. I want them perfect but I'm told that if they get straightened they will need re-chroming - the cost of getting them fixed and chromed is pricey (I'm told over $1000).

I know I could buy stainless steel replacements or even the cheaper ones that Classic VW does for $150 but I'm quite into recycling where possible and would ideally like to keep what I have.

Has anyone else had this work done? Anyone have first hand experience of a good chromer/bumper fixer? Was thinking preferably in NSW but after doing some research online, it seems that state laws prevent NSW operators from using the best old fashioned chroming techniques so I may have to send them further afield. Any help greatly appreciated.

Here's what they polished up like - almost good enough but quite a few scratches and dings

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

what about buying the cheap ones and Ankor waxing them....u can buff them to a shine?..just a thought?:umm: i have been getting a few small things done by a local bloke in Labrador....he always has a heap of work on...so thats a good sign

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Dave, can't help you with the chroming, but an old trick to get the best out of 2nd hand chromed bits, is to rub them with aluminium foil dipped in coca-cola.
    Sounds really weird but I've used it successfully many times on the boys' bikes.
    Cheers, Mark

4. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

As you said the laws for the chroming have changed and they are not allowed to use certain substances that they used to use.
    I know some guys who are sending parts to the states to get chromed as the places here will only gaurantee the stuff fot 12 months???

If it was me, for the same price I would go stainless

Dave

5. winerot

winerot Active Member

1 bloke here in coffs is still allowed to do it with lead base, i believe thats what has been outlawed might be wrong but ask any hotrodder worth their weight where they send their chrome to & the answer is coffs harbour.

6. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

a hotrodder told me that to

7. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks all...I'll look at all the options....will let you know how I go.

8. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

9. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

10. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

glad i could help.
    cheers