1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-tension heads?

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by BackintheDak, May 27, 2018.

1. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

My T3 has the 2ltr air cooled EFI motor. It has a oil leak that I think I have traced to where the head seats onto the barrel.
    I am wondering if anyone has re-tensioned the heads whilst the motor is in place and if this caused any problems.
    There is probably something more serious that head tension but I am wondering if it is worth a try.

I cannot see anywhere else it may be coming from, I have replaced the push rod tube seals and rocker cover gaskets, I put the vehicle up on ramps, removed the lower heat shields and when running I can see what looks like movement or tiny little bubbles in the oil sitting between the head and barrel.

Is it worth trying?

2. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I've done it before on a 1600 air cooler, was loosing compression when cold.

Gave them all a tweek with the torque wrench and good as gold.

David H likes this.
  3. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

Cheers for that, I will give it a go!

4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Check your valves after doing any head tightening. Be careful with how much you tighten them - those studs can break and are near impossible to get out.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Recon its likely possible in the '3'.
    Have considered it myself for same issue.
    A cursory look at what tinware has to come off makes it appear do-able pretty easily in situ.

Considered cleaning the join area with electrical cleaner , blowing out well and adding a bit of Curil before retightening.?
    Probably un- necessary.

6. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

Do you think I should back the studs off a smidge before tensioning?

7. Syncro27

Wouldn't hurt.

8. Syncro27

Doing the valves in a T3 is a good idea as they do alter their timing as they age and after head tightening they should be adjusted to suit (when the engine is cold).