1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear bearings - should I touch them?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by kr.au, Oct 1, 2019.

1. kr.au

kr.au New Member

I'm slowly working through a 75 single-cab resto. I've taken over an unfinished project so I don't know anything about how she ran when she was last on the road - which was probably about a decade ago. I'm trying to do pretty thorough job on the resto without throwing resources away on parts that are obviously in good nick.

Am about to work on the rear hubs. The rear wheels seem to roll fine The brakes are worn and will get new hardware all round.

Question - how often to rear bearings need to be replaced? Should I replace them now while I'm at it or should I assume they are OK until I find out differently? If I don't replace them, is there some maintenance or grease packing that I should do while I have it apart?

All advice welcome and received gratefully. thx, kr

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The rear bearing on some of my vans have only ever been done once in it's lifetime,most people don't do them,little bit of work doing them. If you have a unknown bus and are going to that much work in replacing refurbishing mechanical components and already have the rear hub area off I would replace them,then at least you know where every thing stands in what has been replaced or not.
    I brought a 72 DC ute unfinished project ,a lot of parts where redone and you could see that but the rear bearings weren't done so I replaced them. Other components that where replaced I still checked them ,for quality,regreased parts and torqued everything that needed doing to make sure I know everything has been done. It's just to make sure you aren't relying on someone elses handy work. As you drive you life is in someone else hands that you may not know.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Mordred, onetrackwonder and David H like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I agree with Wayne. If you're 'in there' do them. I do my rear bearings every 200,k. It's always nice to know where your bus is up to;). Fronts done closer to 100,k.
    Cheers

4. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Thanks @Wayne murray and @David H - Good advice. I'll change them like you say. I guess I'll have to find a shop that will press the old ones out and the new ones in, but that should be easy enough.

David H likes this.