1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear gear selector bushes

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by BrissyGeorge, Apr 16, 2020.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Hi,

In a different thread I sought and was given some great advice re preplacing the front bush for the gear selector shaft.
    I`ve decided to bite the bullet and do the two bushes in the rear part of the shaft that goes back to the gearbox

First, remove gearbox and motor.
    Then out comes the shaft. What I can`t get my head around is how the "shuttlecock" bush`s go onto the shaft and how these are held in place PLUS how do they work - is the bush locked so it won`t move on the shaft and moves against the outer tube, or vice versa. What locks the bushes in place - they have a steel locking ring but does the shaft have holes or detents et. to hold the bush in place..

2. Busso Bus

Busso Bus Member

Hi BrissyGeorge,
    From very recent experience of doing the same repair the 'shuttlecocks' have a small nipple on the inside that locates into a hole in the shaft & then the steel ring clamps it in place. I found using a good amount of grease inside tube made everything move smoothly.

Mordred and David H like this.
  3. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Great, thanks Busso....so the bush is fixed to the shaft and the shaft and bush rotate/slide within the tube.
    Was there much crud inside the tube that you needed to clear out before putting the new bushes and shaft back in, and if so, how did you get it out?

4. Busso Bus

Busso Bus Member

Mine was relatively clean inside just a bit of surface rust but this could vary depending on whether seals are still in place. I just used rag wrapped around selector shaft to clean down inside of tube.