1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Side Window install - Help?

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by lime.spritzer, Jun 27, 2010.

1. lime.spritzer

lime.spritzer New Member

Hi,
    My panel beater and two others yesterday managed to shatter one complete rear side window and what a mess. We spent 4 hours struggling with every idea we could think of to put both the rear side windows in. I use to have 3/4 with 1/4 window. I bought VW seals from the Bus Stop and two second hand glass.
    We have ended up with window goo sealer everywhere including my new velour and shattered glass too boot !
    We used heaps of lubricant and even a heat gun to soften the rubber seals but it is as if with the seal it will not fit in top corners.
    Can you put seal in first and then try glass or do they go in together?
    Can someone please give us a step by step guide because even the professional was cursing my Kombi yesterday.:umm:
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

3. splitbus

4. splitbus

5. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Email sent
    Have the side covers been removed ?
    Side covers should go on after install
    I would work the string from the rear, top, the fromt and lastly bottom
    If the covers are still on, work bottom first, rear, top, front

6. lime.spritzer

lime.spritzer New Member

Thanks,
    We did remove covers before we started.
    I just discovered a slider on Roys website for rear side passenger side, so that solves that side, its in the mail as we speak. But as for the drivers side rear we still have to achieve the seemingly impossible. It is the coldest place in Qld here where we are so that could have had something to do with the rubbers not complying, we will see....
    I will let you know how we go.
    With regards

7. kym rochford

kym rochford New Member

hi!
    i put all new windows in mine and as i watched the profesionals install them i could not beleive how hard they were to put in. they bashed them so much it hurt me to watch. my advice is let them do it! it cost me $30 each window to have them installed.
    kym.

8. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

When I did 'The Doctors' make-over earlier in the year, I removed the fixed rear passenger window, replaced it with a slider from Roy and then put the fixed glass in the drivers side rear as no slider was then available. I used a new seal (also from Roy) and let me tell you, it was a bugger of a job to get it in. I had a friend (with a bit of weight on her side) pushing from the outside while I worked the nylon cord from the inside. Time and time again the rotten thing kept popping out one end as soon as we tried to get the other end in. It was a real exercise in frustration, but with plenty of WD40, lots of effort and tons of swearing, it finally went in. The weather wasn't all that warm on the day we put it in, but both of us were lathered in perspiration by the time it was done. As with all the other windows we had to fit, I had to go around the glass with a large rubber mallet and give it a good pounding, although on the sliders you don't hit the glass like you do on the fixed windows, only the frame and gently at that. The glass in those sliders is way too thin to take a pounding and you'd damage the track anyway. It gets scary and I fully expected to break the glass, but common sense also says you don't haul off and hit it full tilt, or that's what's going to happen. It's a matter of feel more than anything else, although it's amazing just how much of a pounding that fixed glass can take.

It seems to be important to get the entire seal with glass sitting right into the body recess before working the cord, then starting at the top, pull the cord to bring the inner lip of the seal past the metal. Have someone on the outside pushing on the same area as you work. With mine, the glass and seal wasn't fully seated until I pounded it with the rubber mallet. The seal was past the metal, but on an angle that threatened to pop back out again. It was only my friend pushing on the outside that held it there until I could run around and apply the mallet. After that, it popped in quite easily. We went and had a couple of beers after that. We needed them!!

What I'm saying is that if we could manage it, so can you, but you'd be battling to do it on your own. Get a friend to help, preferably a big, beefy friend. Pushing it in from outside while you work the cord from inside. That's the trick to a successful outcome.

9. splitbus

You could try and soak them in hot water with some suds first for a while first

10. lime.spritzer

lime.spritzer New Member

Thanks everyone.
    We just had another go yesterday. We pushed the old girl out into the Sun to warm her and us up, cause it is Ugg Boot weather up here in Stanthorpe, then we placed the rubber on a black mat for an hour or so in the Sun. Slider went in on passenger rear side just like a "Cool one" sliding down your throat on a stinker of a day.
    Then........................ we got to the rear Drivers side one piece window and you know what we found? The glass I had purchased second hand from another kombi of similar era was slighter bigger all round then the new piece I bought from Roy last week. So with this encouraging thought in mind we went to reinstall without the breakages this time and succeeded.
    So thank you everyone for your empathy. Thank you Roy for your help and suppyling replacement materials so quickly.

Just an additional thought, if you need something great to get the black goopy window sealer stuff off your interior or panels with, get some Prep Wash or similar. "Just one wipe, and it's gone." No staining or residue. Hoo Raa.
    Kind Regards to you all.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  11. *ELMO75*

*ELMO75* Member

I tried to string method and lubricant to install two sliders and a rear side window. Worked every time faultlessly....