1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear wheel(s) locking up

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Farky66, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hey all,
    After my recent trip up the yorke peninsula pulling into my driveway i noticed it wasnt rolling too well. I have been away for the last week so only had the chance to have a look at it today. Im thinking that the drum brakes are most likely jammed up with sand, or the wheel bearings are shot? any thoughts? I was trying to get one of the drums off just then, using a rubber mallet aswell and failed so im guessing its stuck pretty well. Any ideas for getting them off?

Any help would be great,

Cheers
    Lochie

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

There is a oval shape hole in the backing plate, in there are the adjusters ( behind the drums), use a large flat blade screwdriver and release the adjuster by turning, 2 in each side, you could have a weeping wheel cylinder, brake fluid mixing with brake dust makes a sticky mud

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Cheers Mike, I will give that a go tomorrow then and hopefully its just the sand. Once i get the drum off and clean it up and if its nothing serious I just need to readjust the brake pads until they are as close as I can get them without rubbing?

4. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

It may also be a blocked brake hose causing pressure build up in the cylinder,crack the bleeder and see if this releases it.

5. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Thanks grumble, I will give that a shot first and see if it releases them if not il move onto adjusting the pads.
    Cheers for the replies, I will let u know how i go.

6. Farky66

Farky66 Member

So after alot of persuasion, after about 40 minutes I managed to get the drum off. Turns out that bar that holds the two pads apart had got jammed as you can see in the picture. So that was a fairly easy fix once the drum was off. My adjusters are pretty well stuck so that needs some attention. Managed to free up the ones on the other side and one on the side that was jammed but there is still one that I can't get. Put a bit of Crc in so hopefully that gets to it and il give it another go.

image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013