1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for car (Kombi) transport company Nth QLD to Melb?

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by JMack, Jun 25, 2019.

1. JMack

JMack Member

Hello! Currently a new member looking to purchase my first kombi since the 80's and probably won't have the time to drive it home. Have done a quick search and could not find recent posts about this subject but has anyone got recent experience / recommendations on who to use to transport a kombi from northern QLD to Melbourne. Reviews in general look terrible across most, including CEVA which was the one I was leaning towards. Any help appreciated. Planning to become active here once I get the new (old) ball and chain! Thanks in advance!

2. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Backhaul rate from North QLD going south should work to your advantage if using a large carrier. Less so, if using a smaller operator.

My experience having used CEVA a few times is that they are more than competent transporting modern cars. Transporting older cars with CEVA however has been problematic in my experience. The last time I used CEVA (6 months ago) to transport a splitty and a MGA both cars were returned to me requiring some minor mechanical repairs. The cars were not damaged per se, but had issues that were not in existence when CEVA collected the cars. I put this down to the operators not being familiar with the nuances of older cars. A case in point was the struggle the operator had in finding reverse when collecting the splitty. In the end I was required to drive the splitty on to the tilt tray as the operator had given up. Who knows what happened when the splitty reached the CEVA depot and was subsequently loaded on to the car carrier for its trip north? When transporting older cars I write out starting instructions on a piece of paper and attach it to the dash, in an attempt to make it easier for the operators. Let's face it, not too many 30 something aged operators are familiar with a manual choke, pull starter or handbrake operation found on a MGA. As for the splitty, well I have to admit that I struggle to engage reverse at times...

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I've used CEVA a couple of times & find them fantastic.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Barry likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

My experience with CEVA was excellent

5. JMack

JMack Member

Thanks for the replies. At this stage going with CEVA (painfully ignoring the horror story reviews on-line) and hoping luck is on my side and the unloaders know how to find reverse! :)

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Like all on-line reviews....competitors will often post negative reviews.....
    Never let the truth get in the way of self promotion ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

micklyan likes this.
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Also, the problem with on-line reviews, is that people are much more likely to post of a negative experience, than a positive one...:rolleyes:

So often, there are very few reviews of all the great experiences, or even the ones where they performed “as expected”. ;)

oldman likes this.
  8. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I helped a guy years ago getting kombi from the mount to Port Kennedy in WA without any dramas. Used CEVA.

oldman likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I looked @ Prix Car Transport when considering getting a car from Launceston a they had a depot close by. Logistics played a part as far as getting the car to a carrier nearby. Purchase did not proceed.
    If North Qld is Townsville then both Ceva and Prix have depots/agents there ...... reviews on Prix looked ok to me @ the time I was looking.
    Everyone's experience will be different ...... enter with an open mind & ensure you have the vehicle insured before transport as I recall seeing something from Prix that is the your responsibility to insure and you can't claim against them so expect CEVA may be the same. Know when I transported our 1972 Beetle to Qld back in 1991 it was damaged (company can't recall) and they refused to pay for the repairs so I had to go through the insurance.

10. JMack

JMack Member

Currently with CEVA. Drop off process was good with photos taken, etc. We'll see what pick-up reveals. Thanks for the feedback.

Grantus, oldman and TeeBee like this.
  11. JMack

JMack Member

Just to close the door on this - she arrived yesterday 4 days early! (2 days in transit from Brisbane, after being quoted 6!) And more to the point she was in the same unmarked condition that I left her in at Brisbane. Very impressed with CEVA! Will use again. Thanks to those who recommended them!

Wayne murray, TeeBee, David H and 7 others like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

That is great to hear

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

That means you have four days to produce some photos for us to enjoy;):p Nice to hear that the car is in the same conditions as you last seen it and not a different colour or something else:eek:o_O:(

David H likes this.
  14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great news Jim :D ..... under promised over delivered ;)