1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommendations for engine/gearbox

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Saggas, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Saggas

Saggas New Member

yes. my plan is the type 3 engine hatch as well. you would go another irs type 3 box? and not bother with a rancho? or something similar?

2. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Twin Carbs aren't a problem. They do require some ongoing minor tuning/adjustment but driveability and torque/power whatever you want, it can all be had. Best advice I can give is keep the cam on the mild end of the scale e.g. Engle 110 as this can still give good power to 5500rpm but doesn't sacrifice the low end. Swapping gears all the time in a daily driver would be a PITA.

3. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

Dave have you forgotten Mexican TP fuel injection?
    As far as EFI I believe the CB kits use Bosch injectors.
    I also believe it is easier to find a mechanic now days that can work on EFI than it is on carbies.
    A good mechanic can do both. EFI and an Microtec or wolf controller are the most tunable and definitely the most maintenance free option.
    One excellent bonus is turn the key and go . I have never owned a twin carbed VW that didnt need 5 mins in the morning to wake up.
    Might be worth looking at a mexican factory setup? they make them new for TP 1600 bosch injectors also. These can also be run with aftermarket controllers.
    I have never seen one but there are a few around Dave Birchall runds on I think VW54 on AVD might be worth a PM
    Have a look on the samba should be a cheap option. Mitchell

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

20 seconds after starting on a winter morning my dual 44idf pulls out of the driveway and smoothly pulls up the street.
    Spend the time to tune carbs right (like the time you have to spend on injection setup) and you have an easy and reliable option.

5. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I am old school and prefer carbs and I can do them myself, with EFI no matter who's set up you have usually you will need a mechanic if anything goes wrong.
    Mine would take
    The same 20 seconds to warm up and off I would go.
    Again it all depends on who's built the motor and how good it's set up.
    I would like to see some HP figures of injected 2007 cc motors and see what they are getting?
    Again I have limited knowledge and just know what has worked for me.
    Dave

6. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

Yes but they are better after a few minuets especially on a cold day . this gets worse with cams.
    Yes but with EFI you only do it once they dont go out of tune.Mitchell

7. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

No disagreement with any of that.
    I would like full house EFI i.e. injection perfection x 2 twin throttle bodies, all the programmable gear (Motec/Haltech) but hence I am parts/quality greedy and cannot afford this option.
    What do you run currently Mitchell and have you done something EFI?
    (I am interested ... truly)

8. Saggas

Saggas New Member

this is a very interesting discussion. I was always against EFI, as the one on my fastback is a prick. but now I really don't know! i think i need to start calling some builders and get more opinions.