Red and White T3 Daily Driver

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Mellow Yellow 74, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Must have been the day for it............:)

Was warm enough here to install my headlight relay upgrade kit too, and I've just finished!:p

2. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Hi Grant, I just went for a cruise and these relays make a huge difference. They are like totally different headlights - very happy!

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I have a set of these relays.

Have to install mine seeing you have had such a great result.

4. Grantus

My tip Scott, for installation in a post 85 bus is as follows:

Locating the White & Yellow wires required, in the maze of wires behind the fuse box is not easy.... 2nd attempt I succeeded.

Hopefully the same in your bus, there's a dozen or so wires drop from the top left, away from the main wiring looms behind the fuse box.

In that bunch from the top left, includes the 2 wires you are after. Testing told me that the bottom of that bunch comes from the switch stalk, (I first assumed that it would be the top from the switch stalk, and the bottom to the fuse box, but not so.)

My bus may be upside down, so check your own before installing........

Would have been a whole lot easier with tiny hands, but still possible without.......:p

Syncro27 likes this.
  5. Mellow Yellow 74

I just installed a set of VW South Africa mud flaps for the front and rear on the T3. They were quite expensive for what is basically four pieces of moulded plastic but they are supposed to fit properly and after having to muck around fabricating brackets to make the VW mud flaps fit on the T2 I thought they would be worth it.

They come no installation instructions but with a range of clips, nuts and bolts and brackets - it is not quite clear what everthing is for but basically you are meant to attach them with clips on the outside and brackets on the inside. I put the clips on and they looked like they would fall off after about five minutes so I drilled holes into the side of the guards and used self tapper screws.

I tried to install the brackets but they aren't long enought so the mud flaps are currently held in by the screws only until I can make up some brackets to suit. So I didn't end up using any of the fasteners supplied,

The mud flaps look ok but need squaring up when I do the brackets. It is fairly annoying that the fasteners are so crap and I still have to muck around with the brackets after paying what I paid for them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I put a set of those on my T3 SC - a pain with no instructions as no doubt being in a VW bag they expected a VW workshop would do it and they knew how to.

I went through putting rear on first - left front in bags as didn't want to mix any parts up - split into right and left side so same parts on each side. I was also surprised at how flimsy some parts were BUT thought designed by VW so have to work (I got mine from The Bus Stop). Rear ones had to get into place and leave loose so the bracket could be put on - it just long enough to reach the lip on the chassis frame to which it attaches and once you get that on it's still a challenge/fiddle to get it square - easier to do with wheels removed - the front a pain also with having to try and get it square and drill the hole in the "U" channel for the long screws to make it more rigid oh and those double clips to secure it down the wheel arch lip but they work. A couple of pics of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Those SA mud flaps are crap and have always been so and looked crap. The genuine German mud flaps as fitted to T3's in Australia are available and are exactly the same as those originally fitted to your T3 when new. They are more expensive than the SA ones but are much better and fit like they should. So dont try and save a few bucks get the real deal. They can be had from VW Heritage, Vancafe and Gowesty to name a few.

8. Mellow Yellow 74

I actually think the South African ones fit ok and look ok once they are fitted, they are just a pain to fit. The german ones might be good but $350 odd (including delivery) is more than I can justify for mud flaps, plus I don't really like the way they sit about 150mm behind the wheels.

9. Syncro27

Thanks Grant,

I took your advice and got my mechanic to do it - he got it first go after studying the instructions and the wiring and doing severeal test probes.

If I did it there would still be wires hanging out everywhere and lots of shorting out.

So with these relays in we can now safely upgrade the globes too?

Interesting argument regarding the flood maps too - original or South African - seems the headlight grilles pose the same question.

10. Luckyphil

Hey Scott be careful when upgrading globes. have heard of folks with factory headlight protectors getting cracked headlights when upgrading to higher power globes, not sure if coincidence or the actual cause. What was the cost to get the relays fitted, I still havnt done mine.

11. Syncro27

Not really sure on the cost Phil - as it was combined with a CV joint replacement to the drivers side rear and a service. I think he charged me about 1 hours labour to fit it - worth every cent!

12. Grantus

In days gone by, when a 100w globe ran twice as hot as a 50w one, I could see that the increased heat could affect acrylic protectors.

Now they seen to be able to produce much higher light output, without the heat...... but worth checking.

13. Luckyphil

the acrylic protectors are not affected however cracks in the headlights have suddenly appeared.

14. Mellow Yellow 74

It has been two years since I got the T3 and it has been going good as a daily driver. The only work required has been new front brakes (new disks, wheel bearings, pads and caliper seals) which I did a few months ago. It was due for an oil and coolant change recently so I installed some bits and pieces at the same time:

- Go Westy aluminium H pipe and new hoses (to replace plastic H pipe);

- Go Westy aluminium fuel rails (to replace plastic rails);

- Go Westy instrument printed circuit board (to replace blue foil);

- Go Westy coolant temperature alarm (to give audible alarm in addition to gauge);

- New capacitors in analogue clock (to repair non working clock);

- Vanistan oil pressure sender relocation kit (so I can install a low speed oil pressure sender and use the dynamic oil pressure warning system that comes with the Go Westy instrument printed circuit board);

- Vanistan stainless pushrod covers (so I can remove the covers without having to remove exhaust bolts).

The aluminium H pipe did not have the flow restriction in the nozzle to the heater pipe like the original plastic one. This apparently helps warm up the heater quicker so I had to modify the new H pipe by cutting the nozzle off and getting a piece of aluminium plate with a hole welded in and the nozzle welded back on.

When I was replacing the H pipe, I found a small crack in the pressurised coolant tank so I had to get a new one from the US because I couldn't find one for an 83-85 locally. I bought heaps of spares from Van Cafe when I bought the car but somehow I forgot to get a spare tank so it was off the road for two weeks. It is a JP Group tank and aftermarket tanks don't have a great reputation so I will keep an eye on it and if it doesn't last I will go for the Rocky Jennings aluminium tank.

I also bought a Gowesty vacuum throttle position switch but haven't installed it yet because the original TPS is going good since I adjusted it.

Grantus and Luckyphil like this.
  15. Luckyphil

Doing all the right things :)

16. Grantus

Well done..... should be close to "bomb proof". :)

17. nils

nils Well-Known Member

nice bus,

I enjoyed the attention to detail you have.

18. Borgey

Borgey Active Member

Hey mellow yellow was this bus a one owner from Penshurst NSW area? Looks very similar to one I looked at a couple of years ago. Very nice by the way!

19. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

This is a great thread and I really like T3s. Maybe I should get one as the T2 is taking me ages to restore. One kombi is never enough. Looking forward to the next instalment.

20. Mellow Yellow 74

Yep, that's the one.

Borgey likes this.