1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red's Rolling Resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by OberonViking, Sep 23, 2021.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks like you’re chewing through the list !
    Lots of strange mods. on there……that hydraulic clutch looks interesting.
    Cheers,
    Mark

2. OberonViking

OberonViking Well-Known Member

I replaced the firewall yesterday, scratched the paint on it along the way. [Edit: I used a black paint marker to fix this - good as new.]

Then I replaced the left carb and tided up the air filter box. I moved the fuel lines to where they can be visually inspected. I was going to replace the fuel lines but I have the wrong diameter lines. They are in good condition so this is preventative maintenance that can wait a little while.

Anyway, I jumped in the driver’s seat and fired it up. It took a little bit to get going, to refill the lines and carb bowl I guess, but it was running well. Good times.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@OberonViking
    How did you get the firewall out with the motor in?

4. OberonViking

I had to remove the heater boost fan and the left carb. I’d also suggest the air filter box.

oldman and Barry like this.
  5. OberonViking

Today I put the engine bay back in order: reconnected the heater boost fan, screwed some relay on the right to the firewall, screwed in the piece of road sign that has replaced the paint lid, and put some sound deadening on the engine door.

Then I attached a large sheet of stainless that I happened to have as an engine lid, photos tomorrow.

I spent the afternoon screwing in the rear speakers and testing the amp with all speakers. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon (dinner was late...) cleaning the rear seats. Notice the differences - in the first photo I’ve cleaned the right hand side using just a general household citrus-based cleaner with a kitchen scourer.
    See how well the speakers fit on the rear wheel arch. The subwoofer tucks under the rear seat fully - I just need to attach it to the seat to keep it in place.

59A40F43-4281-4728-8616-EDB11F12DF8F.jpeg
    1E59C3CB-7E07-4FA9-A1DC-C1C5DB4703D7.jpeg
    8F837226-C1B3-4BFA-8063-41CEA5956706.jpeg

Wayne murray, Barry, Grantus and 2 others like this.
  6. OberonViking

Engine lid / luggage area blues.
    Here's what I had to start with.
    E9A585FF-CD79-4A77-B224-20A9DBC72C09.jpeg
    3CD96597-E180-4F96-98AB-F06CCABF39AA.jpeg
    0B272B85-52C3-4B37-BED4-DE0B6BAFF834.jpeg

7. OberonViking

Strip it down and start to tidy it up. First cut some straight edges. That large piece of chipboard was the engine lid. It served its last purpose in this bus as guard against the sparks of the angle grinder.
    E995D1AF-CF8A-4551-AAD4-5B91971183AA.jpeg
    15A09A7D-4FE5-4D06-B43E-C95696AA26D2.jpeg

8. OberonViking

I have had a large sheet of stainless just lying around, and it was a good size - difficult to drill though. The grey strips are from some foam thing I had lying around. They sit proud of the surface by about 2mm = perfect.
    Notice all that patina has been painted red. I bought a pre-mixed red colour of Rust Guard by White Knight ($22 Bunnings, 250mL). I bought it to treat the rear torsion bars and on a whim chose the red because that is the original colour of the torsion bars. It seems to be an exact colour match for my bus.
    I will get a better piece of rubber for the whole area when I go to Bunnings next.

Ultimately I would like to cut this back section out of a wreck and weld it back in. I really want the spare wheel back, and I might have to make my own in the meantime.

A3F97DBB-7D7A-4329-AB41-E79A9E970ED3.jpeg
    BF908E6E-421C-4438-BBF8-640FC382D8F4.jpeg
    1952CE7B-E713-46B3-93E2-18508E078483.jpeg

9. OberonViking

Today I put some more sound deadening down, also on the bash plate.
    I got my son, Alastair, to help install the seat belts. Red gets most often used to take the two of us to school together so I thought it appropriate to have him help with this job specifically. Loving the Red.
    I also trimmed the front kick panels so that they fit neatly.
    706C6D34-2188-4650-9BA4-400EE5827218.jpeg
    B4117132-1F58-47DB-B57A-90BD379DE86F.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The previous owner really went to town with this bus. I did see this one for sale ,you shown a fuel line going into a hole on the rear right hand side Post #11. Did it also have a metal fuel line attached some how to the fuel filler behind the petrol flap?
    I also had a Previous owner cut a larger hole above engine and also went over the fuel tank, Kombi lucky to still be around as he cut 1/2 through the fuel breather pipes.

11. OberonViking

Yes it did. PO then ran some fuel line from that but did not attach it to anything. I have sealed the end and hope to figure out what to do with it one day...

12. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Making progress Rob. Why did they cut the pieces behind the seats?

13. OberonViking

Lord knows?!
    I think it is so that these non-VW seats fit better, but it is just a guess. I have no idea what these seats are from.
    I will one day figure out or find a better way to finish that cut edge. Wish me luck.

14. melissa

Pool noodle wrapped in red vinyl?

15. OberonViking

Or maybe just a red pool noodle.

melissa likes this.
  16. OberonViking

17. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Front normally has a switch also in the A pillar, when you open the door, turns the interior light on. Depends on which position the switch on the interior is positioned front wards or back wards.

18. OberonViking

Yeah, thank you, it's probably a problem with the switch in the door. I might remove it, or replace it and see how that goes.

19. OberonViking

I installed the under-dash trays. It did it over three days as I also installed to power adapters, one under the handbrake and one hidden behind it.
    See the Silent Helper in the extra two photos.
    4658AA8D-71F1-4C7A-9DB5-C057EC48EC7B.jpeg 0AFF61B9-0EEC-47BF-8F0B-FDC5743F9AFE.jpeg AA9C5660-646B-45C9-A551-1C6FEFC14C21.jpeg

Wayne murray likes this.
  20. melissa

That overspray is just criminal Rob!! Try a magic eraser with a little water on that rubber dash pad, see if that moves it. That tray looks great!