1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remember peek frean biscuits

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ttmck, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

ok i was sitting here having a sao biscuit with vegemite and just remembered years ago when i was a kid that we used to have biscuits from peek freans and they i think called golden puffs packed in an orange type soft pack they used to sort of split in two and where the best , they would be hard on the outside and soft in the middle which sounds weird for a cracker type biscuit but what ever happened to peek freans
    any one know of those biscuits
    perhaps there are alot of things you might remember as a child that we dont have any more , like getting lollies two for one cent at the local shop !!!

2. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Yep I remember those...had them in my lunch box in primary school
    Big round orangee biscuits...

& going to the corner shop & 5c could buy you a full white lolly bag filled with lollies....

aahh yep remember that...
    Judy

3. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Ripe Rasberries - 3 for 1c.
    Annoying Mr Mac at the corner shop by asking for a sixpence worth of mixed lollies... "I'll have one of them, two of them, three of them, one of those..."
    Johnny Skybomber ice creams for threepence.
    Icy Poles for tuppence.
    Catching the bus to/from school for tuppence and walking the 1 and 1/4 miles to save the busfare to spend on lollies.
    5c pinball machines - and the score only went to 9999 - but you could clock it 5 or 6 times if you were good enough.
    20c arcade games like Pub Pong, then Asteroids, Pacman and Space Invaders.

:)

Baz

4. ttmck

so there off the market where you are too judy , just nice with plain butter too !!

5. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

T
    Mum used to put vegemite on them for us...
    I haven't seen them around for years... dam shame..

Poor shopkeepers back then, the kids used to drive them mad..."3 for 2 cents" "2 for 1cent"...etc...always walked out with a full bag of lollies...yummy...
    My all time favourites are chicos....go crazy over those...
    Now I love also Willy Wonkers Red Licorice...
    Judy

6. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Kat and i reminisce about those days often....we remember walking to the corner shop and buying mixed lollies in the little white paper bags and some where 2 for a 1 cent.
    I also remember a chocolate called a 3 Musketeers it was like a giant milkyWay but better.I was in Hawaii about 2 years ago and i found stumbled across them again so i stocked up and brought some home with me.I also remember when KFC made a bean salad along with the coleslaw.Ahhh the good old days.:D

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Steve, there is a place near me that sells them and other American chocolates.

8. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

I got very excited to see Arnotts Bush Biscuits back in the shops again recently. The initial rush is over but can still find them occasionally.

9. ttmck

now i had forgotten about the old bush biscuit until now , they used to be huge !!
    are they still big or have they reduced the size , wagon wheels they made smaller

10. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

They are the same size as the old ones. Only difference is they are made in Papua New Guinea now. Next time I see some I'll pick some up for you Tom.

11. back street bessie

Ohhh really:eek: ...i wish you hadn't told me that.Im a sucker for a good chocolate and have been known to travel great distances for it....and meat pies too :lol:

12. ttmck

yahooooo i will fix you up for them now that im looking forward too a bush bikkie along with a nice strong cuppa !

13. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

I remember those Golden Puffs!
    My Aunty used to work for Peak Freans when I was a kid, gee that was a long time back, and she would come visit every second Sunday with a huge bag of 'seconds' which usually meant too much chocolate, too much icing or mishaped bickies. My favourite was a honey bear with hundreds and thousands. Another biscuit company bout them out, 'Westerns' I think it was.:cry:

On the biscuit subject, since we moved up north we get our Arnotts bickies out of QLD and they have a different 'Ginger Nut' to that of Sydney. I loved the Sydney ones, thick, break your teeth type that you had to dunk in your coffee, the ones up here are thin and no challenge at all:cry: They have exactly the same packaging but the product is not the same!

Can someone send me a pack of 'real' Ginger Nuts:heart: ?????????
    ...................Lorraine

14. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

How about the sandwiches you used to get at Pizza Hut, the submarines, they had a nice sauce on them.
    When I went to the states a few years back you could still get them there but not here??

Now for the English in me,,, I really miss Walkers crisps, Hollands cheese and onion pies with chips and curry...

Dave

15. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

The peek freams factory used to be on parramatta road. We used to pass it on the way into the city when I was a kid.

Can still remember the smell.

I think the old building is still there, but I think it might be a Bunnings now.

16. yellow pencils

yellow pencils New Member

is this thread just for senior citizens to talk about the old days and old taste's? next we will hear how you all walked 5k's to school barefooted...lol

17. yellow pencils

yellow pencils New Member

..I am joking...(just thought I would get that in before the mods tell me off again)

18. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

You had it lucky, we lived in hole int ground???

Dave

19. kombicad

kombicad New Member

MLC - mid life crisis

yep, my dad delivered petrol to peak freens and other factories for ampol. he used to bring home these great big tins of broken biscuits for us. i was telling my eldest son one night how we used to stuff newspaper up the return shoots of the old public flick phones. you know, the ones that had the a & b buttons. we'd try & be the first ones to them on the way home to check if some poor unsuspecting person had lost their money to us. we'd head straight to the back shops with our haul & load up on choo choo bars & mixed lollies. i can remember the shop keeper selling me packets of wild woodbines, 10 pack, when i said they were for my dad. you look back on the things we used to get away with & shake your head. 1 - how am i still alive, motorbikes, air rifles, cracker night, marble guns. 2 - if you did any of those things today you'd be arrested. it's enough to make you feel like a young woman again, oh look, there goes one now.

think i'd better have a bex & good lay down. :lol:

20. back street bessie

Motorbikes,air rifles,shangeyes,nunchakus,smoking on the oval and skateboarding around deserted schools on the weekend,cracker night,chopping and customising pushbikes...i remember it all so well :lol: