Removable Camper Interior

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Gordon D, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Folks, apologies if this has been posted before (couldn't find anything with a search here) but does anyone know if there are any camper interiors that have been designed to be easily removable?

I am starting to plan the refit the interior of my Westy, but after a weekend running around and lobbing in bikes, IKEA boxes and Bunnings goodies, I am loathe to permanently lose that capaciousness when I am only rarely going to be camping. Also, if I can avoid lugging the extra weight when not needed, that would by a bonus :)

I have just tripped across a collective called Lowd Vans in Melbourne who do a flat-pack self-assemble interior that may fit the bill but checking to see if it is actually removable on demand.

Cheers

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Gordon,
    My son Kim designed &built exactly what you are talking about, for a design &technology course.
    He still has the components and I know he wants to move it on......his bus is having extensive rust/bodywork done and he’s moved out of home and needs some coin.
    I’ll get him to post up a link.....he did post on KC a long time ago.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

Gordon D likes this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Gordon,
    This is the info. from the original ad :

Hello All,
    (Posting this on behalf of my son, Kim, who has just completed his Honours year in Industrial Design...)

"Up for sale is a custom fit out, designed and made for a Lowlight, but will fit a late bay also.

My brief was to design and build a storage interior that could be removed without altering the existing kombi structure. No holes to drill, everything fits/attaches to existing seat anchor points....easily.
    Idea was to provide a camping/storage interior that could be readily removed when a bare interior was required for re-fitting of seats or carrying bulky loads.

It consists of three individual units, a shelved cupboard, a set of 3 drawers, and a large chest style, top loading cupboard, shaped over the wheel arch. These run the full length of the bus, and sit flush with the front seat existing structure.

These are hand made with 9mm AA grade hoop pine ply, with Tasmanian Oak corner detail joinery. There are some parts that have become dis-coloured from the sun , so I have completely stripped and resealed with two coats of Estapol. ( These should be good for many years to come.) There is no rot or structural damage at all. They have a 'natural' satin finish, with distressed white painted panels, all hardware is stainless steel and looks great!

These units individually bolt to a frame that bolts to existing seat anchor points on the floor. This means no permanent fixtures, enabling the system to be installed and removed as you wish. This was designed as my year 12 major work for Design and Technology a few years ago.
    Since then, I changed plans for my Kombi and, as a result, have decided to sell these to help fund the resto. ! "

I've sent you his mobile number by pm, if you want to talk to him further, or get some pics.......
    (Price will be very reasonable, as he needs to clear his stuff out of our house...!)
    Unfortunately Photobucket is not co-operating with the workaround that we've been using... o_O
    Price to be negotiated between you two....it was originally on for $350....for the lot.
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H, Grantus and ruby6689 like this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Gordon,

I can’t vouch for the product, as I’ve never seen it, and you know how “dad’s”, or both parents love to brag about their sons being so awesome, etc......:confused:

However, having met the maker, I would assume that it’s a nice “one off” original number, well thought out and crafted. :)

I dare say, def worth a look at! ;)

oldman and Gordon D like this.
  5. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Thanks guys, I am definitely onto this one ... but probably won't get a chance to call until Wednesday night (got a couple of things on) ... but I will be calling and looking for pics :D

6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Maybe a Stanhorpe swap over?
    Cheers

oldman likes this.