Removing Alternator

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Rev., Sep 10, 2007.

1. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

The alternator in my 75 camper (1800) kind of died - or stopped charging the battery. I spoke to my Auto-Electricitian who suggested that it would be cheaper to fix if I took out the alternator and bring it in rather than have him remove it. So this is what I did and how I did it.

Step 1

First I put Shirl up on stands so I could get under her a little eaiser,

[​IMG]

Then I removed the stone guard from the cooling fan, and removed the fanbelt.

[​IMG]

Next I removed the plate or tim-ware that was attached to the heat-exchanger on the right hand side so I could access the bolt that holds the alternator on and the clamp that held the breather pipe (I think's what you call it) attached to the back of the alternator. I also removed the tin-ware from in front of the alternator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Step 2

After removing all the tin-ware I took out the bolt that held the alternator in place - an attachment to my 13mm socket made the job real easy. Don't know what you call it so here is a picture:

[​IMG]

With the bolt out I was able to wriggle the alternator out from it's snug little hole.

[​IMG]

Once the alternator was free and before removing it completely I disconnected all the wires and pushed them through the rubber grommet.

Then with a little more twisting and pulling I had the alternator out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All up, the alternator took a little over an hour to remove.

Now it's off to the Auto-Eletrician for repair - I'll post the cost of the repair as soon as I know.

3. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Some notes

A few of the screws holding in the tin-ware were quite tight so I used a pair of vice-grips on the screw driver for leverage.

[​IMG]

Also, when I removed the tightening bolt with the allum key, there was a square nut that it went into - I found this when I was packing up and wasn't quite sure where it came from - once I worked it out I put the tighening bolt and the bolt that attached the alternator to the engine back onto the alternator so I wouldn't lose them.

Hope that helps.

Rev.

4. kombikid76

kombikid76 New Member

nice one.

I just did the same with my bus (but have the engine out to do other work aswell)

Paid $100 to replace the exciter diodes and have it bench tested...

5. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Brilliant brilliant work this gets asked alot and im sticking this post well done rev ! you have passed your apprentice entry exam !

This my friends is exactly what makes a great kombi club member have a go post some pics so every one can learn im so greatful and over the moon that you took the time and the effort in doing this thread ... we salute you rev.
    hey bud its a unijoint . what drive sockets did you use 1/4 or 3/8

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  6. Doc

Doc Active Member

Not really trying to hijack this thread but Tom have you heard of putting a 90 amp VH/VQ commodore alternator back in?
    Great work Rev

7. ttmck

i have but there is no need for that ammount of output in a kombi .dual battery is far better option
    traxide set up and a agm battery all accessories come off the second battery thru a separate fuse box with heavy gauge wiring

8. Doc

Doc Active Member

I have heard that argument but ......Soundsystem, subwoofer, Tv, GPS, Computer, Lights etc...yes I agree twin batteries AGM etc but certainly don't you need a bigger alternator to quickly charge your starter battery then onto the aux?

9. ttmck

no .. traxide system will stop starting battery from draining to the point of flattening it you get the best of both worlds with that system practically doubling the useable power supply with protection .

10. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Great pics Rev...Andy and I did this recently on one of ours, would have loved to have your pics for advice....you have certainly made it easier for those to follow. Cost us $120 to have it reconed which we thought was a very fair price.
    Good one Rev..........Lorraine

11. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

13mm socket with a 3/8 (unijoint) drive - got the uni-joint at repco for $28 - worth it I think - going to use it to remove/replace spark plugs with a spark plug socket.

12. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Just got my Alternator back from the Auto-Electrician - $110 for new brushes and bearings. Now all I need to do is put it back in and remember where to plug the wires in!

Auto Electricians Details

Marway Auto Electrics
    151 Mort Street
    Lithgow NSW 2790
    Ph: 6352 2662

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  13. ttmck

rev just remember if your taking the plugs out have a magnet on a stick handy ok if the spark plug socket does not have a rubber seal inside it .
    also a tip for putting the plugs back in use dome vacuum hose place over the end like a long piece of spagetti just twirl it and it will screw the plug in pull the hose off and then tighten.

14. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

I'll remember that - have already dropped a plug inside the engine - took me almost two hours to get the thing out. Knew there must be an easier way - thanks! Got me-self a compression tester and want to check the engine.

Rev

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  15. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Mine's still in there!!!

Good thread, Rev. :)

Baz

16. Leigh77

Leigh77 Member

Hey, i have a bit of a diff question about the alternator, i have a couple extra appliences that i run (1200WATT amp, Spotlights) in my bus, i seem to kill the battery way to easy, here's my question, can you get an alternator re-cored to produce more power output, if not, can i get a bigger alternator that produces more power, and if so where and how much??? i've thought about putting in a duel batter system, but cant really afford that, so thought maybe a bigger alternator will help with the problem, i dont run the amp as often now, as i learnt my lesson the first time i killed the battery. haha.
    Any other suggestions are very welcome
    Cheers.
    Leigh

17. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Hi Leigh

I believe you can have the alternator beefed up a bit - have a talk to a good auto-electrician. I asked my auto-electrician about it when I took out the alternator - but because I had a dual battery system already he said I wouldn't need it.

Hope that helps

Rev.

oldman likes this.
  18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

would be interested in seeing more about a beefed up altenator, i thought altenator was normal and done what was meant to do. maybe when you were running with the spots on you may have had a battery that was on its way out. Not a sparky, so am very curious.

maybe phil will enlighten us a bit more.

brian

19. Leigh77

Leigh77 Member

I wouldn't imagine the battery to be on its way out, it less than 18 months old when it died, but running to many appliences made the charging run negative, not positive, so instead of the alternator charging the battery, it run nthe appliences and the battery run the appliences, so the battery wasn't charging, if all that mumbo jumbo makes sense. haha.
    But yes, it would be very interesting to here what phil has to add. :)

20. Shifter

Shifter New Member

From my recent research in to Alternators, I do not believe that they are able to be "beefed" up. It depends on the windings in the stator and the size of the rotor as to the amount of volts / amps (power) the alt will deliver. I think a larger alterenator, or at least one with, basically, more wire in the windinds (stator) would have to be located. I'm told they are rare in Ausssie.