Removing Alternator

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Rev., Sep 10, 2007.

1. Hayley&nathan

Hayley&nathan New Member

Thank you for this it has made my morning a bit easier. Also for future reference for people. Alternators can be beefed up, it is all about replacing the internals.

2. SCUBA

SCUBA New Member

Thanks for these excellent instructions and pictures. I had to remove my alternator while chasing some bad wiring and this was the best set of instructions I found ;)

Having removed and replaced the Alternator 5 times in one day, i am pretty sure I could do it in my sleep now. Cheers, SCUBA

3. SCUBA

SCUBA New Member

BTW, My Alternator is stuffed. Its a Bosch 70A i a 2L 1977 Bay. The Auto Electrician after a quick 5 min check thinks its the stator and the diodes are blown.
    I intend to pull it apart next week.....however does anyone know if there is a suitable equivalent that I can use? Or where I might source a Bosch 70A. Apparently they were used in some older holdens - HK through to about HQ I think.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Good auto electrician should be able to re-furbish your existing one……it'll be better than an aftermarket replacement.

5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The only ones with the 70 amp output to fit a type IV engine I have seen are from America and were for Vanagons. Be very interested if there was a local equivalent. There are 70 amp versions for type 1 motors available but there are not interchangeable. There maybe some holden equivalents but what ever you use will need an external regulator and be able to have the cooling ducting and end plate fitted to them. Internally regulated ones will have issues due to the heat generated by the alternator, the head behind and the heat exchanger below. Heat and electronics are not a good mix.

Adrian