1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing metal part of dash board

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Klaus Schroeder, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Klaus Schroeder

Klaus Schroeder Member

Hi All,
    My front windscreen has been removed and I have an opportunity to restore the top metal part of the dashboard prior to a replaced new windscreen. Can the metal section be taken out without taking out the whole dashboard . I can see 8 screws and two side bolts under the dash, but cannot seem to work out whether it lifts and slides out? On the Samba forum there are photos of the metal panel removed and JK sell the metal section separately so this tells me it must be able to be separated ? Will I be able to get it back.? Your thoughts please or photos. Regards Klaus

2. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Baywindow? Not easy but may be possible?
    The bolt on the far left in the padded dash (near the arrows) joins the instrument panel and instrument panel cover plate together.
    The bolts in the grab handle (not shown) joins the padded dash, instrument panel and instrument panel cover plate together.
    <edit>
    8 screws across the front, 4 bolts in the padded dash, 2 bolts in the grab handle.
    20210809_124954 small.jpg
    PR

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Wayne murray and David H like this.
  3. Klaus Schroeder

Klaus Schroeder Member

Sorry failed to mention, Bay Window `75

4. Klaus Schroeder

Klaus Schroeder Member

Thanks,so I assume it will slide up from the window side?

5. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Your timing is great as mine are off to get powder coated tomorrow as regional Vic CoVID-19 restrictions eased!
    Just took another one off to get instructions with dash installed...
    • Take the grab handle out first.
    • The two bolts on the end of the padded dash are hard to get too, if necessary undo the two large screws holding the instrument panel to the body, move it forward enough to get a 10mm socket ratchet or 10mm rachet ring spanner in and undo the bolt on the padded dash. If the bolts on the padded dash are tight, make sure you spray some penetrating oil or you'll snap them off and possibly swear profusely.
    • Remove the fresh air vent trim plates (4 Phillips screws) so that the fresh air vent is free to drop.
    • Unclip the plastic heater vent trim plates from underneath (4 clips per trim plate).
    • Unclip the heater vents from the instrument panel cover.
    • Lift the instrument panel cover plate up and out.
    Job done!

PR

6. Klaus Schroeder

Klaus Schroeder Member

Congratulations for coming out of lockdown. I live in the melbourne metro area and still have restrictions, Thanks for the instructions and photo now it makes sense. I shall let you know how it works out. Really appreciate your assistance Regards