Repairing rust in front baywindow kombi

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by retro1, Jul 14, 2006.

1. retro1

retro1 Member

Today I have taken the windscreen out of my 1975 baywindow due to the rust that is appearing under the window.
    One of the first things I did was to order a new rubber seal from Roy.
    This is a common problem in all kombi?s so I thought I would put a post on regarding this.
    Tools I?ll need are
    Angle grinder/die grinder for small finer grinding
    Wire brushes (hand and electric )
    Sharp knife or screw driver
    Mig welder
    Hammer and assorted panel beating tools
    Files and sand paper
    Spray painting equipment.

The first two pictures are of the rust as it was as soon as the window was removed.
    You can see the spots of rust that are coming thru the panel just below the window line( pic 2).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next picture is the rust cleaned up with wire brushes .This exposes even more rust and with the aid of the screwdriver and or knife I hit the metal along the channel to ensure that all the rust was found and hopefully prevent doing this again.

[​IMG]

This is the section that needs the most work this is the before picture.

[​IMG]
    This piece is of a donor kombi ute that I cut up and have only laid over the top of the section that is to be replaced . It will need to be fitted properly latter. That is tomorrows job.

[​IMG]

The total time so far spent to this stage is approx 1 hour.

2. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Just silicon that bit as it is, its only a bay.

oops, sorry, forgot i have one now.

Might pop round tomorrow if I have time.

Dave

3. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

great post adam , well done :wink:

now dave what about selleys all fix ! if its selleys it works :!:

4. Mafti

Mafti New Member

Hey Adam, shouldnt you finish one project before starting the next.
    Man you just got to much time on your hands.
    This is what Im up against soon. Good photos.

Mafti

5. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

Hi,
    Great to see these "Tech help" posts. I am starting a long slow resto on my dual, so this will come in handy.
    Need all the advice I can get.

Rob J

p.s. Are you the Caravan guy Dave mentioned? If so, I have some great shots I wanted to email you.

6. retro1

retro1 Member

I've only got the splitty which is a long term project and the rego on the EK runs out in a couple of weeks so I thought I would get this on the road again. I've already rebuilt the motor and it seams stupid to have it sit in the driveway. Also when we went up to Murray Bridge we had a great time ( what I can remember of it ) I felt a little left out not having my kombi there. I used to love going away in my old one that I have sold. I don't have kids so my cars are my ammusement and they fill in the days. This bay was a great buy with no rust in the sills or guards just a bit in the nose. It will make a good camper when finished and can be done as a driving resto.

7. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Yes Rob, Adam is into the vintage caravans , has a couple of nice examples and uses a nice EK wagon to tow them.

Dave

8. retro1

retro1 Member

The next set of pics is the large rust hole in the drivers side.
    I start at cutting a small hole then making it bigger, fitting the panel then welding . Be sure to spray any rust and blow away any metal filling as so the rust does not return.The black colur of the metal is the way it goes after rust converting.
    The last picture is of the panel welded in with clean up to be done another day it was etch coated quickly to stop it rusting( the paint is still wet).
    I think the best bit of advise is to take your time in cutting and fitting any bits.
    It?s easy to cut it smaller than to cut it bigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next step was to cut and curve a metal filler piece to go is the hole. This is done after grinding away the rust and then rust converting it. These photos show a step by step from start to under coating.
    Time spent in total 6 hours for both of these holes. I still have a few more to do and think it will take about another 2-3 hours to finish.
    A very big thanks :) :D to Dave ( Mr No van) for lending me his brand new light activated welding mask as I had the older style and will be buying a new one like his ASAP
    If you have any questions feel free to ask via a PM or email
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. brookie

brookie Guest

Great post and pics- have forwarded to my welder :D

10. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

You were a busy boy yesterday.
    Will bring the mask back this afternoon.
    Mafti will only need it this morning

Dave

11. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Terrific post, very helpful for fellow members

12. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Great post Adam.
    Clear images and informative text. Really useful.
    Geez this forum is an amazing resource! :shock:

13. Admin

Admin Administrator

This is the last picture of the repaired section. It still needs a little skim coating but it has come up pretty good.It is just undercoated and will be ready for final paint soon.
    [​IMG]

14. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Thanks for digging this great post up for us Warren!!

Ray & da Boyz

15. COWPZ

COWPZ New Member

Front 76 bay window seal

Great tips on front window rust repair

Have just bought a 76 kombi for a slow resto project and the first job amonst many others is to do a rust repair on the front window Can tell me the best place to source a window seal
    Thanks
    John

16. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

AT risk of wearing out The Bus Stop's shameless plug quota, I would suggest asking Roy, he'll prolly have em in stock. :D

Cheers and welcome aboard!
    Kieran

17. brookie

brookie Guest

Don't forget to ask for The Bus Stop Catalogue at the same time- required reading with John Muir

18. brookie

brookie Guest

No worries Ray- using it with my No1 welder/fabricator at the moment.
    He is very very good mechanic and loves welding and restoration.
    Has just built a new gutter on EH van he is restoring and you can't tell difference

Attached Files:

19. hasafro

hasafro New Member

Rust repair part

Does anyone know anything about the windshield repair panel that can be found on the busdepot site. My '77 has rusted out about 60% of the windshield area and therefore I need to either replace the entire front panel or find a replacement top section, both of which will cost me about $400. The repair panel is $59 US but there's no pics and I've recieved silence from my enquires. Has anyone heard of or used these sections before, or any other suggestions.
    Dave

20. 77bay

77bay Active Member

Try our major sponser The BusStop, Roy stocks all types of replacement panels and parts. If he can't help you, you could be in trouble.