1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement AFM for T3

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Luckyphil, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Finally a replacement AFM for T3 is available. Not cheap however with no new ones available and only dodgy so called rebuilt ones on the market and overpriced this is a welcome addition.
    https://en.syncrosweets.ch/luftmengenmesser

Syncro27 and Barry like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

mmmm ........ $525 AUD plus shipping.

ok -ish.
    Better than no option

3. Luckyphil

Gowesty are $325us (with core charge) plus shipping so not so bad

4. Luckyphil

Sent an AFM to Switzerland today cost was $72au. Will let peeps know what total overall cost end up and how it performs when returned. Wont be cheap but lead to believe will be much better than a so call rebuilt one and will have correct specs which the rebuilt ones never have.

SUTTO, Syncro27 and Barry like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

What one you putting it in Phil?

6. Luckyphil

I sent an original AFM from a MV 2.1 and they convert it & send it back to me.

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That wasn’t the answer to Barry’s question.... :rolleyes:

Barry and Luckyphil like this.
  8. Luckyphil

Ha should have read it correctly. It will be going in the yellow van however will also give it a run in the High Top as well

Barry likes this.
  9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Hah ha

10. Luckyphil

My AFM core arrived in Switzerland and is currently being rebuilt and will be dispatched back to me on Thursday. Total cost of rebuild and postage both ways is $725AU
    Not cheap but it should last the life of the van and be much better than the original. Having said that I will be pissed if its a flop. Worth the risk I think though.

Grantus and Syncro27 like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Well worth it.
    A second hand one is around half that

12. Luckyphil

My AFM has been converted and is on its way back from Switzerland so hopefully early New Year will be able to road test.

melissa, Grantus and Barry like this.
  13. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Its about to encounter the great Australia Post granite wall....................you might be lucky and receive it in the first half of 2021 :rolleyes:

Luckyphil and Syncro27 like this.
  14. Luckyphil

Update: My AFM left Zurich on 29/12/20 and is on its way. Cant wait to get it and see if it lives up to the expectations.

SUTTO, Wattie, Jethro and 1 other person like this.
  15. Luckyphil

Got the AFM back today. Looks just like it did when it left. That is all the new bits are concealed inside so no pic. Due to Ensuite renovations Im not sure when will be able to fit and test but stay tuned.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  16. Luckyphil

Update on the upgraded AFM. Fitted it to the High Top and started up great, idle rock solid at 900 RPM revs freely. Next fitted it to the Yellow van, removed the vanagon syndrome pigtail as it will no longer need it. Again started up nice, rock solid idle again. Took this one for a test drive. Seems more responsive to the throttle, does it suddenly have more power? No but the throttle response is much nicer. Was it worth $700 I am going to say YES as this is effectively a new AFM not a so called reco which is a joke in itself as the bit that wears out is no longer available so the sweeper is doctored and called reco. This AFM now runs a Hall Sender to send the signle to the ECU and should last a long time. It has a warranty of 5 years but they said would last much longer than that. So Im happy and can recommend this upgrade to anyone.

17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That sounds sweet Phill. It should never wear out now. I forked out for a "reco" on my 76 2l a few years ago and yeah it was better than it was but not great and wont last long.

18. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Somebody was making a hotwire system a few years ago. I wonder what happened to that? That would have been the best system as there is no moving parts.

19. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That would be an interesting proposal - replacing an air Flow meter with an air mass sensor.

20. Luckyphil

Perhaps it didnt work as I havnt heard of it