Replacement vw logo

Discussion in 'The Bus Stop' started by Chidori, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Chidori

Chidori Member

I recently purchased a replacement VW logo from the bus stop, which I'm very happy with, but for the life of me, I cannot get the new clips to go through the existing holes in the front panel of the bus.
    Are there any tips or tricks to getting them through, or am I going to have to drill the holes to increase their size? Wanting to avoid that if possible.

Cheers!!

2. nils

nils Well-Known Member

if I had some measurements of the originals, I can 3D print what you need. Reasonably dear because of it being new ish technology. But if you run out of other options.

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I would say that if you don't have an original emblem and you are happy with the quality of ROys replacement and have the correct nuts / grabby onto thingies (technical term) for the inside then carefully enlarge the holes.

Put some tape (preferably painters tape) over the front to reduce paint chipping and just go slow. You can even go in reverse to wear the paint away before going the correct way for cutting through the steel.
    Then use a ear bud dipped in some sort of rust proofer (I prefer penatrol for this if you have some) and you will not end up with any rust issues down the track and the logo will be held on in a suitable fashion.

bern likes this.
  4. Chidori

Chidori Member

Thanks guys. Looks like i'll be making the holes bigger!
    Surprised they dont fit the standard holes that are already there though.
    Given that - I'm sure I"m not the only one that's had that problem.

5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried a bit of detergent on the lugs & push 'em in….?
    I think I'd be reducing the diameter of the lugs before I'd drill the holes bigger….
    A small file worked slowly around the lug will cut the plastic down pretty quickly I think.

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I also had an issue with lugs but for the door cards - the size changed sometime around 73/74 (from memory) so every possibility the lugs are the wrong ones as they should be close to hole dia and if not then try to find correct ones. I'm not sure what the badge lugs look like but if you also got the clips/lugs from Roy give him a call and talk to him or team member about them being the wrong size - only a phone call away :p

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Ok so just done a quick look and badge clips look like the following as on Bus Stop website - might need someone on inside holding/bracing the area behind the badge area and other pushing from front if doubled skinned then that ain't going to work really - doesn't look like there is much of a lip on those suckers but tapered won't help - note on website : Set of 3 badge clips, for new and original kombi front emblems, 1973-79 When fitting clips to body, make sure holes are free from obstructions

[​IMG]

8. Chidori

Chidori Member

Yep, they're the ones i bought.
    I did try lubricant, somebody pushing on the rear of the sheet metal and went as far as hitting it with a rubber mallet. No joy.
    Will give the filing of the lugs over the weekend and see how I get on.

Cheers guys. Always appreciated.

9. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

You could try cutting a narrow slot in the lug so it can squash in. I have seen that work.

bern, David H and oldman like this.
  10. bern

bern Active Member

Brilliant, Paul !

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I just used rolled over double sided tape ( x2 layers) as I'm not good with a rubber mallet:rolleyes:. Or the outcome is not good when I use that tool near sheet metal!:( No lugs needed. No holes!
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  12. larrywaves

larrywaves Member

Mine was put on with white sikaflex as I had no holes. Worked a treat.

David H and Mordred like this.
  13. galp

galp Member

I had the same issue and used a heat gun and got too close and melted the clip slightly
    Had to then file the taper on that one
    The other two i was not so aggressive with the heat and applied some lube , had to strike them with a sharp blow
    to engage the tapered seat hope this helps cheers

14. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

get rid of excess paint using a screwdriver in he holr, spray wd 40 in the hole you should have no further problem

David H likes this.
  15. MAP77

MAP77 Active Member

Sometimes if you heat the clip in some boiling hot water it will soften and allow it to fit into the hole.
    When it cools down it will harden and form a plug inside the hole.

David H likes this.