1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resting Kombi for long periods

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by SJAN, Nov 30, 2017.

1. SJAN

SJAN Member

I am now spending much time overseas and so my 76 Kombi camper is now resting in secure undercover parking for long periods (1-2 years) without being used.

Hopefully some people her can offer some advice. What are the implications for the engine and other mechanical parts if it is not started for very long periods? Would it help to have someone start the Kombi once a month and let run (idle) for short periods? Is this essential? It is not possible for it to actually be driven when I am away.

This is a Kombi that has traveled around Oz for many years, and will be used again for this purpose in the future.

I look forward to replies.
    Steve

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Starting for short periods and not getting up to full operating temp would be counterproductive.

Fresh oil and run for at least 20 minutes afterward would be essential.
    Maybe a puff of innox down each carb before switching off might be some use but not essential ??
    Completely flush brake fluid.
    Chock and leave handbrake off.
    Carpet under fully inflated tyres or on stands.
    Battery out .

StevieVW likes this.
  3. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Fuel will go stale too, leave as little as possible, but then theres the condensation forming risk......

4. beerboy

beerboy Active Member

I am of two trains of thought. If it is worth the coin then a proper place that starts and charges the battery and monitors etc. I bet those places are expensive. Or leave it somewhere dry with a cover on windows slightly down. brakes off. forget it. plan for four new tyres and a battery when return.

and guess how I know about the brakes and tyres lol

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Maybe a full tank is better than a low tank. Fuel oxidises?

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I always store them full of fuel, to avoid condensation and moisture issues.

grumble likes this.