1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retrofitting Safety Features

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by drummerguy, Mar 3, 2010.

1. drummerguy

drummerguy Member

Hi,

I currently have a science assignment that I am doing about retrofitting safety features on older cars. Seeing as i own a kombi i thought i would do this topic!!:p

I would just like to send a call out to anyone who has perviously fitted airbags, safer seat belts....any thing to improve a kombis safety.

Cheers,

Zac

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Zac
    I have fitted Inertia reel seat belts and lap sash for the rear ......no air bags ....have never read any articles on doing it and as they have to coincide with crumple zones and impact velocities don't think there will ever be a bolt on do it your self variety. Could make the sexist comment that a passenger of a certain demeanour could be called an airbag ....but only if I know she is not on this forum.

3. drummerguy

drummerguy Member

aren't inertia seat belts standard in the front seats though?? or did i get free seat belts with my kombi?

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I had original inertia reels in a 74 microbus, so they might have been a luxury item to help sell them in the upmarket models and then standard on the later ones.

Adrian

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Depends on the year

6. drummerguy

drummerguy Member

its a 75 model?

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

My Daughters 1974 didn't have them originally.

8. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

hey mate..just had a look at ur blog..very nice:cool:

9. drummerguy

drummerguy Member

thanx, join the site, it would mean the world to me (well maybe not the world...) :)

10. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

I've had 2x 75 models both have had Factory inertia reels up front

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I fitted lap sash belts for the driver and passenger and a centre lap belt for the second passenger in my '63 SC. I have also changed the suspension to IRS to give far better handling. I suppose that could be a safety issue.

Ian

12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Rear disc brakes?

13. 2slow

2slow Member

Front discs with dual circuit. (from single circuit drums)
    Front and rear lap/sash inertia seat belts outside. Lap centres (from none at all)
    Radial Tyres (from cross ply)
    12v (from 6v. Yes it does help to be able to run both the wipers and headlights at full power at night in the rain)
    Front laminated windscreens.

Cheers

Bobby

14. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Zac,
    A lot of people have fitted front disk brakes instead of the older style Drum brakes as from memory the front brakes are more powerful than the rear at about 3:1/2 ratio. (Talking Hilux brakes here, please correct if I am wrong for Kombi's (or Hiluxs for that matter)).
    Pre 72 Kombis have drums and you can pull out the front end from a post 72 and fit in without a huge amount of problems.
    Some people even go up to vented dixk brakes if they are putting more than 100hp in the bus.

Other things are better suspension, possibly lower ride height.

Split owners have a solid back axle and change to independent suspension????(I don't know from anything but guesses, Please correct me splitty owners)

Maight be worth while contacting some of the VW Conversion professionals and telling they you are doing an assignment. I have found honesty in these things generally gets you a fair bit of help without stuffing anybody around.

Good luck.

I personally plan to fit doors to mine, Mind you that is less upgrade and more repair!

15. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

While writing I got beaten by '2Slow' - Ironic!

16. gabba69

gabba69 Member

I've just fitted inertia seatbelts in my 74 because it didn't have them previously.

17. Hubert

Hubert Member

I've had to fit inertia seat belts to my ’74 & it’s a Deluxe as I understand it ’75 & after they came as standard.

18. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I intend to fit a "If you can read this, you are following too close" sticker to the back of my kombi.

19. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Could always make 'If this is getting bigger my handbrake may have failed'

20. Klause Focker

Klause Focker Member

I've fitted inertia reel belts, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, halogen headlights, a set of spottys and gas shocks. I have the car regularly serviced including a full safety check, and I allways run good tyres.
    Oh, and the other safety measure is the Kombi driving attitude..... you are always dealing with impatient dick head drivers, who need to pass or pull out in front of you!!