1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revenge of the Rust bucket - Project Kombi bay 74'

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by _Dingo_, Feb 8, 2020.

1. _Dingo_

_Dingo_ New Member

Hello folks,

Finally, some rain has arrived and it’s a good time to throw up some pics on the start of my project. The rust bucket has been getting revenge on me from the beginning as every section reveals rust on top of rust, not to mention the price of getting parts.

I’m slowly wrestling control back and its going be a true resurrection, a rise from the ashes.

I bought in online a while back, sight unseen besides a few ‘strategic’ pics and assurances from Honest Mario from Wollongong it was a good buy. Those strategic pics didn’t reveal the true extent of the rust, not to mention the pathetic attempts at covering rust holes with primered plastic from an ice-cream tub. Pope Mario said he couldn’t take any pics of the front because the bus was inaccessible due to his junk in the garage. Taking his word on good, coupled with my own impulsive nature, I decided to buy it anyway. Turns out pope Mario was hiding a spot fire that melted the steering wheel, seats and dash. Not to mention the all the way through rust section above the passenger head. Luckily, although the fire was enough to crack the windscreen and side glass, it someone how did not affect the body metal.

It’s a shell besides a rock n roll bed, some broken glass and a motor.

There are some positives. Honest Mario bought it as a project but succumbed to the fact the job was too big for his beady eyes. The motor wasn’t running, but luckily Mario’s mechanical skills were as useless as his rust repairs. Some new points, a makeshift fuel tank (from a large oil plastic bottle), I got the 2 litre fired up and purring pretty good. Looks as the fuel tank its clogged, or lines, so ill deal with that after the body get A1.

Here are some pics of what I am dealing with. Don’t have many great close ups of the rust, it looks pretty good from afar! Rust repairs will be half dozen at least holes around the roof and gutters and one full section above passenger door all through to the roof (see pic). Around the windscreen. Behind the bumper (impact section), drivers inner & outer step., Drivers A pillar, Sliding door fully rusted. Back door full rusted. Floor looks good from underneath and inside.

Attached Files:

TeeBee likes this.
  2. _Dingo_

_Dingo_ New Member

closer pic of some of the rust... and check out that steering wheel!

Attached Files:

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Crap - you got some rust work there!

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

That's a bit huge @_Dingo _:(. Work, a lot, in front of you:rolleyes:. And far 'from pretty good'. Some work in that:(. Roof is a hard part to rework:mad:. And welcome to the Kombi Club;).
    Not Cheers
    PS. Just give Mario some hard times:mad:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC _Dingo_ You might need to look into a new roof,which you can get. Hope you can get it all sorted,so you can enjoy it wherever it takes you.

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

0BBA5AF5-200A-4B91-9883-AC8ABA8E746B.jpeg

Looks like it is not just the roof that is gone but it is also that 2nd bit between the top of the body and the roof?

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I can't tell from the photos but is it a pop top? With the amount of rust in that roof it looks like it was but I can't see the pop top itself or the hole.

Syncro27 and Barry like this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Once you have finished filling rust cavities with concrete maybe gift the leftover to mario for some new fishing footwear.? :)
    All " repairs " true to the "best" bog artist style.

A cheap wreck may be an option for roof etc , although what you are starting with may already fit that description.o_O

Looking forward to the resurrection.

oldman likes this.
  9. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

I'm loving how 'descriptive' you are about this! :)
    Welcome, @_Dingo_ , and good luck with the repairs.

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to KC.......
    That is one hell of a challenge........both mentally and financially.....:rolleyes:
    Hope you weather the storm......smart fella quits while he’s ahead.
    All depends on the finish you want, your own skills and how advanced the money tree is in your backyard :D
    Watching with interest.
    Cheers,
    Mark

11. _Dingo_

_Dingo_ New Member

Spot on...you can see part of the icecream tub that covered it from showing (that it went all the way through) in the pics.

12. _Dingo_

_Dingo_ New Member

haha that probably what he deserves. It is a poptop which someone pointed out (with no poptop included - though I have sourced a really good one for v good price). I do win some.
    Besides that one really bad section above the passenger door, the rest of the roof holes are only on the outer skin..so repairs are pretty straightforward (roof wise).

13. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

That was me - very typical for rust under the pop tops. Those side windows with the flipper windows - just replace the whole things with sliders.

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. David H

Truly acerbic cbus:). Would expect nothing less:p.
    Cheers

15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Appropriate name when completed would be Phoenix :rolleyes: (having arisen from the ashes)

[​IMG]

_Dingo_ likes this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The first or second bit?
    Second is likely not far off and I have bought better likely for less but in this case dishonesty has played a part.

The barrier preventing me from proceeding with the first is tissue thin and the weight providing impitus has overreached balance point. ;)

David H likes this.
  17. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Mein got! Bit of a challenge there. Should be a legal allowance to be able to shoot people who misrepresent in adverts!
    I am in awe of your challenge.

18. _Dingo_

_Dingo_ New Member

Thanks for the interest in the project. It is a big challenge, though the real challenge seems to be keeping the wife off my back and ignoring the echos of "when are you selling it". Not going to happen. Im not one of those guys whos going to re-advertise it with the 'rust in usual places' spiel. Might as well save another from the rust heap ;) Im in Sydney and the bus is at my folks place on the Goldie. That has however has given me time to go back to night school and get a Welding qualification. Also plenty of time to trawl gumtree and ebay for parts.
    Because of the small pockets of time I am up there with family, there will be fierce progress in short burts.
    So look out for some exiting updates coming soon:D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2020
    TeeBee, KahunaKombi, Barry and 2 others like this.
  19. David H

Gotta love a person whom loves a challenge & remote from home. I'm looking forward to your updates on progress Dingo.
    Cheers
    P.S. Subcontract it out to @cbus :p
    @cbus both comments but first gave me best smile!

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Avoid klokkenholm products in front step and and dogleg. Unusable.