1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock N Roll versus Z fold hinges?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by SunnyJim, Dec 7, 2009.

1. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

I have read most of the posts on making a seat/rock n roll bed. I think I can either use Z fold or Rock n Roll hinges but there is a big difference in price.

can someone tell me what the difference is? pros and cons?

Can they both have seat belts installed around them and be complianced for 3 people?
    thx paul

2. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

Z-hinges use your original seat so if you want to keep that original look they are the way to go......

3. SunnyJim

h radar- i dont yet have a seat therefore i can build one using rock n roll hinges. I want it to carry 3 people , seat belts and legally complianced Is that possible?
    thx paul

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Seat belts just mount in the original holes provided from factory. Compliance is not a problem either with an engineers inspection. If you dont already have a seat then go for the rock and roll hinges.

5. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Seat belts aren't a problem as, as Melissa said, the mounts are in place.
    The problem you might find will be to do with the seat mounting.
    A lot of rock and roll beds are mounted onto timber or fibre board mounts and (in SA at least) cannot be complianced as a seat only as a bench.
    I would strongly suggest that you get advice locally with regard to what is required to get an engineer's cert. for a rear seat before you start buying bits.

Ray & da Boyz

6. SunnyJim

Hi ray
    thx for the good advice.
    what is the difference between a bench and a seat? ( sorry if a dumb question)
    Before I buy the bits I probably want to see one successfully done round brissie. I would like 3 people to be able to legally sit and travel , then convert it to a bed if need be

So anyone out there already done this , pls let me know and post a picture

rgds paul

7. 2slow

2slow Member

Check out Jamie @ Kustom Kombi. He has ADR approved R&R hinges. He is down @ Southport.

Cheers

Bobby

8. SunnyJim

Bobby hey thanks .. will do as u say