1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocky - a slow slow start

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Rocky, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I want to start this thread for a couple of reasons,

1. If I have written something for people to see I feel committed to continue, so here will be my inspiration to get my butt into gear and start moving toward the ultimate which for me is the rust and panel work.

2. To document the bits I have done already and will be ticking over on my way to the panel work etc.

2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Rocky's Story

Rocky's story;

I found Rocky on ebay, sitting in a second hand car yard on Payneham road(I think) on the Northern side of Adelaide, initial inspection revealed a few things, engine was stuffed, some rust, interior was stuffed.... perfect. I wanted this as I have paid too much for promised reco motors and rust proofed bodies before, only to find that i was flat out lied to...at least Rocky was honest, although on his death bed.

I ummed and ahhhed, then went back to sea(work) for 5 weeks to umm and ahhh some more. Alas, while I was gone, my beautiful but crazy wife, kate, went out there, made an offer and bought me a kombi! How could I ask for more in marriage. So the idea was to do a full restoration before attempting to get rego on the old bus, which we had dubbed Rocky as he was still punching although obviously close to death several times... The only hitch was that I got a job working on tug boats in Queensland, no more going away for work, the only thing was I needed to get to Queensland, work out which port I would end up working(a number were on the cards) and survive a trial period before the real move. A Kombi would be perfect for this. So off to work I went.

Step 1 - engine

No worries, these are simple engines, probalby new pistons/sleeves and maybe new heads and all will be ok... NO.
    new case, newcamshaft, new heads, new bearings, new seals, old alternator body, but new stator, diode plate, diodes and voltage reg, Reco carbies, Reco Dizzy, ahhhh money. but together it went and away he went.

Step 2 - electrics.

What had the PO done? who knows, but nothing worked, so every light had to be investigated and repaired, indicator switch repaired, horn repaired, etc etc.

step 3 - brakes.

All the brake fluid seemed to fall out of the master cylinder - sleeved and rebuilt by my local power brakes and good as gold.

step 4 - rego
    hahaha - lax sa rego laws allowed me to get an ID inspection, pay my money and get going! haha

step 5 - Queensland..... A few dramas along the way, nothing too major, just boiled a battery due to yet another voltage regulator failing - discovered that for no apparent reason bosch 3 pin regs are no good, 2 pins work perfectly.

Step 6 - work, forget about kombi resto, buy a house, forget about kombi resto, fix beetle engine, forget about kombi resto........

Attached Files:

3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Parcel Trays

I found these great parcel trays on www.thesamba.com. I like the look of them, so took the risk, they are more expensive than what is around that I have seen, but a few weeks ago when the dollars almost matched, it worked out quite well to have a go so I bit the bullet and bought them.

This pair are the first the guys has made for right hand drive ever, so I feel very special, and I am very impressed. It is a nice product, the photos dont really do them justice as I have no kick panels and the bis is currently just the messy project base, but as i said, I am very impressed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  4. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

Good start to your thread mate.all the best with your project i'll be sure to drop in next time we're at tannum flying kites.
    cheers glen

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Contacts for rust and panel work

Hi all,
    I am ready to start ringing around for people to do the rust and panel work. I dont really have the time to get too deeply into it and think I can really benefit from others experience in this area.

What I am after is any contacts of panel beaters or vw restorers who would be recomended and who have done kombis before. I am looking at this stage at stripping Rocky and sending him down to Brisbane as that's where the experience seems to be. I want to go with the experience as I only want to do this once.

If anybody has recommended contacts they would be much appreciated, pm me if you dont feel that they should be put up in public.

Any assistance would be brilliant, thank you, Chris

6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Hotmoke

I have been ringing around a few places now, trying to get ideas and advice... Unfortunately most of the local guys just want insurance work and mine work. So I was losing faith of even checking out anyone local, when I remembered a guy who approached me at a service station at Boyne Island over a year ago, I had only been here a few days, having driven up from Adelaide, staying with friends, Rocky was pretty well my home! Geoff introduced himself and then asked if I wanted to sell him, I said no but do you know of a good panel beater around here, he very modestly said that he does a bit of panel work, and that was it, I took his card, then lost it, then forgot about it.

So finally I remembered him and searched for him, finding his website a www.hotmoke.com , it looks pretty impressive to me.

I called him and he informed me that he is currently doing a kombi for another local! So tomorrow I am going to see him and the other kombi, I will fill you all in tomorrow. It would be great to find a quality restoration guy locally as they seem thin on the ground up here....:D :D :D

7. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Will be good to see you lot and rocky in the flesh if it comes to that..:)

8. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Well,
    I dropped in to see the local guy today and I have now had a grin from ear to ear for the past two hours. I saw the kombi he is doing up and am most impressed.... I wonder if he is on here somewhere, I suspect so as kombiclub was mentioned and one particluar members van was held in high regard and the result show that! The work looks awesome and it is only 5 mins up the road! Sooo Happy:D :D :D

9. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

ah man, i just read your first post now. I share your pain. I am going all ass-backwards. I had to decide to do mechanicals and engine and patch-job on major rust, but keep it driveable so I can use it for my holidays. In retrospect, I should probably have buhgt a temporary second ride and done it right the first time...

Your panel guy looks like he knows what he's doing. Good find!

All the best.

10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

cheers Dingo,
    yeah it gets pretty frustrating, especially as people comment on the piece of crap i drive, when I only bought it as a piece of crap in order to get a cheap bus to do up.... I am itching to get into this now, have started stocking up on new bits to put on so that I am ready once the paint is done, still a few months away, but feel like it is moving now... :cool:

11. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

All the best to you...... I find planning and sending a billion kombi related emails to various artisans to be utterly therapeutic! I have got 99.9% of all my specs done now. So I'm WAY behind you, but will watch your progress with much interest.

take it easy.

12. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

One major hindrance so far in getting work done on Rocky is that the Pooh (the beetle) keeps on breaking down. The little battler also drove up from Adelaide, but has since been plagued by issues, so far as I have broken down, I have removed the incorrect distributor(replaced with svda), the incorrect carby(pict 30/31 replaced with pict34/3), replace generator with alternator, new fuel pump(came incorrectly assembled, sorted though), new pistons and barrels.

So today I am very excited to say that she is up and running again, better than ever with her shiny new carby... very happy. Now Rocky can have a bit of a rest while I do some tinkering. We are doing the panel work next year in Rocky, and want to keep driving him till then, but there is a lot of prep work I can do where he only needs a day or so off the road, as long as Pooh lifts here game, this can now happen!
    :D :D :D

13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

woohoo - its finally happening

Just got back from the blasting guy... Rocky is going in sometime while we are away for Christmas and New Year.

My next couple of days will be spent madly stripping him down, removing wiring, dash, engine, gear box, pop top....

I have already got the interior and all the head linings out, wow, he is such a noisy beast with none of that in place....

RUST - i found far less than I expected above the head lining. Most of the marks on the liner were from Glue rather than rust.... yippee

14. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Glad you have started this post...now we can all watch Rocky transformation as well...
    keep us updated on him as you go along as others learn & watch on....
    Looking forward to the "new & improved" Rocky
    Judy

15. gsa2at

gsa2at New Member

goodto hear things are moving Chris
    sounds all very familiar to me - our camper is being sliced and diced and repaired at present
    hopefully there is not too much hiding in your beast - having seen it asutralia zoo it did look honest
    cheers - keep us informed

16. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Rocky just had his final drive as old Rocky, next time I am driving him with an engine in it will be new and improved Rocky...yippeeee:) :) or :umm: :wtf: oh boy, what are we doing?

17. Kate

Kate Member

So, Chris is busy in the garage now taking out the windows......should I be worried that he hasn't asked for help? I haven't heard any smashed glass but hadn't left the garage before the rear window was already out and INTACT!:D

Fingers crossed we don't smash any. Stanley knife and flat head screw driver looks like it's working a treat. Yay, the resto is really hapenning....Rocky is on the road to ICU :cry: and I'm sure will make a full recovery :) :)

18. Kate

Kate Member

Windows are out, all intact and the there were NO SURPRISES!!! Yippee, thank you Rocky.

We thought we would find a lot more rust than we knew about around the windscreen. Any of you who have seen Rocky would know it looked a bit dubious to say the least but it was pretty much what we expected. There are certainly bits to cut out around the wind screen but Rocky will be able to keep his front and not need a new one!

Pictures are coming shortly....there are for sure some big holes on the windscreen but Chris says that it's not too bad compared to some projects people have taken on. Is he just spinning me some dribble to reassure me???

Bottom of front panel is also pretty bad but all the interior, channels, other window sills etc is very nice. Fingers crossed he doesn't fall apart when he get's blasted some time (we think late this week) back to bare metal.

Rocky will live another round!
    :D :D :D :D

19. Kate

Kate Member

[​IMG]
    The new and improved Rocky....he he he
    This was Chris's birthday cake on Wednesday night.

20. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Love the cake someone is very talented, is that chocolate coated licorice as the tree trunk? If it is its mineeeee:lol: :lol: