1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocky - a slow slow start

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Rocky, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

A sail would be great, happy to go down and clean the prop to earn the right too.....Every time I hear something like this it just adds to the lifestyle we are learning to love.

2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

:heart: :D :heart:
    mmmwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

3. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Our current diver has just given the job away due to too many Bull sharks so I dont think you really want to dive on the prop. I am sure we can get it done one way or another, so add another sail on your agenda in the future

4. Kate

Kate Member

So, I only have dates entered at this stage but give me a bit of time and hopefully I will be able to fill in the blanks.

Here's the link to our travels if anyone is interested

http://www.travelpod.com/members/kateandchris

Need to update a few other trips in there too but will focus on this one first.

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Still ticking along...

Well, this resto is never going to stop, I think. The list is still pretty long.

Since the last post, we have managed to squeeze in the following as we go:

Connected up Arooogah Air Horn.
    Replaced Instrument cluster facia with a much nicer one.
    Fitted the Bash Plate under the front panels.
    Installed Snail Heater Fan (not yet wired up) and all heater hoses.
    Installed Insulation to Heater Ducts underneath Car(got very very dusty while rolling around).
    Installed rear speakers, yet to mount permanently, but sitting happily on rear shelf.
    Fitted the obligatory PVC Pipe to the roof racks(very important).
    I am sure that there is more, but cant remember for now.

We have also thoroughly tested the fridge, managed to freeze the beers more than once, so guarantee it is working a charm.

Here are a couple of pics of my little sphere speakers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Paint Problems

Well, the story is not really all smiles, we have a bit of a paint issue rearing its ugly head.

In several areas on the car a sort of "rash" has slowly appeared. It is as if these areas have for some reason become "raised and rough" as opposed to smooth and uniform height.

I have spoken to the painter and he is happy to look at it, I'm sure he will have an answer for us when we meet on Wednesday, hopefully something will be sorted.......:(

We just want to tick off all the resto items and stop posting in this thread! Hopefully we will do so soon.

Chris :umm:

7. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Hey Chris and kate

Just had a look through your TravelPod blog and photos. Thanks for sharing. What a cool way of letting everyone know what you've been up to - don't you just love technology! Rocky is looking pretty spiffy. The photos of the interior at night are awesome. Top job :)

8. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

where this blog at?

w

9. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

10. Dingostrategy

Word that.

respek.

11. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Try dat bro!

Chillin

12. Dingostrategy

It be massiv.

Flipside.

13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Ok. Serious time...

Found out today that due to a balls up in paints, Rocky will have to be taken back to bare metal again:cry:

This shat me to tears..... Tru dat.

So not happy in the Rocky camp. Not sure when this will happen, currently negotiating the details and chasing suppliers.

Cried today, even had a bloody smoke. Turning to beer now to try cheer me up. Dingo and KoH, your posts have helped immensely, as have the kind words of some fellow campers and also John and Jenny, owners of Kimbo the shiny blue Kombi....

14. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Chris, that's absolutely sh*thouse news.

I couldn't believe it when Mel told me tonight on MSN (I'm in Mackay at the moment) of what was going on. Especially after all of the blood, sweat and beers that have gone into making Rocky the beauty he is today. I don't blame you guys for feeling devastated. :umm:

Just let us know if there's anything we can do to help, okay?

(on a brighter note, I've got Pooh back to a more cheery self! :))

15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

:eek: that is just terrible :eek: :cry:

16. cankombi

cankombi New Member

Chris and Kate - we are gutted for you. If you need a place to store your stuff and your selves in the interim, you would be totally welcome. You're also welcome to borrow marchena maxima while you're kombi-less as she's now driveable again. Just let us know if we can help. xo

17. Dingostrategy

Heavy.

Is there a bright side here? Will the paint be better in the long haul (or am I clutching at straws?)

Hear dis. Hope it's not coming out of yo' ass pocket. Dat be makin yo ass po.

Sorry to hear it though folks. Just a flat out bummer. I suspect someone forgot to properly clean your blood sweat and tears off before topcoating.

18. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Chris and Kate - I feel your pain! When we got KOH back all purple and shiny, a shiver of dread went through me as to whether we, as amateurs, had done the prep work properly before the spray painter worked his magic. Only time will tell I suppose. So sorry to hear alll that lovely red has to come off and everything has to be stripped out again. If I was anywhere near, I'd come and help. Please tell me that you don't have to pay for it to be done again????

19. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

Rocky, can you be more specific as to what happened? That is terrible after all of your hard work.

20. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

thanks for all the kind words, has helped us to get it all in perspective....

Here I go for some details:

Our shiny smooth paint is coming up all lumpy and dull in a lot of areas. All of these areas are where the car was soda blasted and consequently treated with a rust inhibiting coating. The areas of new metal and any parts which were not treated in this way are fine.

According to the painter(who did many hours of great work on this bus), it is this coating which is now reacting in some way underneath the paint and causing this finish. He assures us he applied everything according to the instructions and that it is a supplier problem. To me, this is his problem, not mine.
    As far as I am concerned, that is not my problem, my problem is that I paid for a great paint job and don't have one, so that should be fixed.

We are not at the stage of battling this yet, still negotiating and trying to work out an amicable result. The problem is that it hurts like hell to even think of gutting Rocky again so soon after all those hours of work that went into it. Kate and I were a bit of a mess last night trying to get our heads around this mess, keeping on smiling though, life is still awesome for us, just a detail, an annoying detail, a painful detail, but a detail all the same.

Thanks again for all the encouraging words guys, believe me, this club is a big part of what is keeping me smiling....along with thoughts of a DC ute resto and how many lessons I have learnt with this one.

Cheers, Chris