1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocky - a slow slow start

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Rocky, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Love it Chris.
    Me want one now, but maybe I should wait until we rebuild the engine next year.

2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Not sure,
    but definitely the acceleration is through the roof, and the exhaust sounds like the engine is just spinning freely and rolling along....

I still have big carbies to fit and new engine soon!!!!!:D :D :D

3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Smiley!!!

And everybodys favourite clown has come through to tidy up the nose!!!!

[​IMG]

4. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

GNAWWW! All happy and smiley there, Chris.

I've gotta say, Rocky looks a little different with Vic plates on him. Was so used to seeing the SA jobbies.

5. london_mike

london_mike New Member

Because I went looking, I'm sure others will too. So here's the link:
    http://www.tangerineracing.com/Type4ExhaustHeaders.htm

Maybe it's time I got rid of the rusty old thing on Daisy too.
    :)

6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

More fun and games

Ok,
    I think I must be nuts, but wasnt totally happy so started to tinkering again.

Have a new engine with more oomph and a set of IDF webers to fit.

Fitted the IDFs to the old engine last night and currently wrestling with them....
    RHS seems to be doing nothing or very little, so cannot really get it idling well.
    Figure it can be one of a few things:
    -vacuum leaks
    -fuel starvation - using the old 6mm lines and standard pump - was ok for the solexes, not sure about the webers, only idling so thought it should be ok, going to at least check the filter.
    -spark plugs/timing.
    -blocked idle jets.... or other internal carby problems - floats etc

I initially thought that as the engine was running ok with the old carbs, would be fine to get them going as is, so was lazy about the timing etc. Am doing this with the aim to get them roughly set up so that when I start up the new engine, it should at least fire up to revs ok, ready for fine tuning....

If it all gets too hard, I guess I will just put the new motor together with the carbs and give it a go!

Off for more fun right now :)

7. MarkC68

MarkC68 New Member

Youve done an excellent job with Rocky's restoration, looks stunning!!

8. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Chris

Webers like a consant 3lb pressure are they are electric pumps on pancakes ???

Your tuning it with linkages disconected ??

I use Ryco 200 fuel fiter those other things only stop bricks

Stick at they are touchy to get right but I have hardly touched mine for 2 years

PS Grimace on road this weekend Rear brakes and fit windscreen

9. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark, we love this bus, just chasing a bit more oomph now. Cheers

Thanks Doc,
    I got it running on the old motor but manifold leakage caused me some big headaches. Also wasnt sure on the fuel pressure. Gave up and moved on to new motor.
    I have it almost assembled now, just waiting on those pesky manifolds to be machined nice and flat. This time it has a Carter rotary fuel pump which should do the trick. Tuning was all attempted with linkages disconnected and finally got it to idle, although it was a bit rough, at least it ran. Sprayed some "Start Ya Bastard" around the manifold bases and both sides caused the engine to speed up while spraying.... bugger bugger bugger, so gave up in the name of progress. I fugure machined manifolds on brand new heads with thick gaskets should have now worries sealing! At least I hope so.

Great news regarding Grimace (PPE)!!!

10. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Run carters on all of mine make sure there the 4 lb model not 8 lb although Kate will complain of the noise

I always take some meat out of the manifold to allow thin walled ring spanner to fit nuts
    This gets it nice and firm and i hate using open enders

THe tool i use is Hazet 13 x 17 pivot head ring about 200 mm long (fav tool )

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  11. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Oki Doki - finally got the Webers going and am loving it! Can't sneak quietly through small towns any more though! Thanks for all the help from a few people... BeerDoc has been a big help, Cartek in Adelaide was incredible, 66Deluxe has been awesome also. So finally I can say that I am stoked with the new donk and carbies!!!

[​IMG]

So now we are camped at Coffin Bay, SA, heading west and finishing off a few jobs... This mornings effort was to finally mount the small poptop hatch! 2 years after it should have been done! Borrowed tools from a happy camper and away we went :)

[​IMG]

12. london_mike

london_mike New Member

What's that thing to the right of the right carb? Looks a bit like a speaker?
    I've got a removable (at least it looks removable) panel in the same spot, always wondered what it was for...

13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

That's just a handy light fitted on that same removable panel... And the panel is there to access the fuel filling point from the inside...

14. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Glad it all worked out

Have a good one

15. Seany

Seany Member

Looking good Chris! That pop top shot is great

16. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Downlights

Firstly...Hi, amazing camper! Absolutely love it! Secondly, I was wondering how you power those awesome downlights. Are they hardwired to the battery or do you use an inverter or are they only for when u have 240v power connected? I want to do this in my bus but just not how yet, any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers!

17. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Thanks,

The downlights are 12vdc, so are hooked up to the battery. I had to modify them a little due to the space between the head lining and the car body. I did this by cutting the connection tabs down on the back of the lamp, then soldering on wires to connect - this saved about 15mm of height. Otherwise they are standard 12v LED downlights. It is important to go for the LED type as they produce very very little heat and draw minimal current.
    I mounted two switches, one on the rhs cabinets, easy reach of the back seat, plus one above the sliding door - easy to reach on entering the bus....
    These are the lamps i used (i think...) http://ns.prime-electronics.com.au/index.php/lamps-and-modules/lamps/bomr16-series.html THis is the lamp only, but they can supply them with surrounds. There are also more low profile surface mount options available which can make for a simpler, more flexible install...

Good luck with it.

18. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Thanks very much for the info! Will be having a crack at it next week end.

19. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Hi again, those lamps you gave me the link for look great! Just another quick question...do all of your downlights run individually to the battery or do they all run to a box (of some sort) and then one wire to the battery? I'm trying to find a kit of 4 but am not having much luck. Just ondered if you bought yours all wired together, or bought them as 6 individual lights with individual wiring?

20. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Rocky is back