1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocky - a slow slow start

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Rocky, Sep 23, 2008.

1. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

2. DancingDoonars

DancingDoonars Active Member

Hmm, Rocky. One word guys . . . . . . . . AIDRIAAAAAAANNE:eek:

3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Pheewwwww, thought today would never come, finally stripped to a level I am happy with to hand over and get the panel work started, fingers crossed will be done for Bonny Hills, but have prepared for the possibility of coming down with Pooh(Kates Bug). Here are some pics of the short journey today.
    Note the high tech engine trolley, thought of this on KC, ALpal I think????? Thanks
    Also note the Patrol as Kombi support vehicle, again inspired by KC and the Keen's own support vehicle.

If you look very closely at the photo of Rocky up on the hill in his temporary home, you may just see the top of Jimbo, a future mate of Rockys.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

We have also used that same "high tech engine trolley' also on several occassions here. :lol:
    Looking forward to seeing Rocky's new "reconstructive surgery" done :)
    Judy

5. Kate

Kate Member

Okay, so we have no photos until we get home from Tassie but our rust fixer/spray painter has told us that other than the front panel, the soda blasting hasn't showed up anything more than what we already knew. I hope this is good news......
    ..............the only thing now is that we need a new front panel. I will have to ask Chris (who is currently getting me a beer:D ) what the condition of our 2 donor kombi front panels are like.

6. Kate

Kate Member

On our way home from Tassie so hopefully we will have some soda blasted pics of Rocky, or what is left of him (ekkkk!):umm:

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Blasted Rocky

Ok, so here goes for the first of the blasted pictures, nothing more has progressed yet due to holidays etc, so this is as far as we have got, except for a bit of fiddling with some of the electrical stuff and the popout windows.....
    First off, drivers floor, free air conditioning for my feet.....
    Drivers side middle window frame...[​IMG]
    drivers side sill[​IMG]
    passener rear arch[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  8. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

another of the wheel arch[​IMG]
    right rear[​IMG]
    left rear[​IMG]
    A little where the tailgate seal sits...[​IMG]

9. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

more of the same

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lh sill and pillar[​IMG]

roof[​IMG]

10. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Thats amazing what was hidden under all those hand prints, looking forward to watching Rockys progress

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  11. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

a patch on top of a patch on top of a hole[​IMG]

Overall there is actually a bit less than I expected to see, so overall pretty happy at this point. Another member described Rocky a "honest" a while back so I guess that was a pretty accurate description.

The front doors and the sliding door were a bit rusty also, the slider not too bad, but I have better ones on my "spare" buses so will be using them instead....On the upside, some of the hand prints have survived.
    Just for good measure, here is a pic of the two donor buses I am using....they havent got names yet.....[​IMG]

12. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

My credit card actually groaned during the downloading of those images. The blasting really does clean the metal. Amazing.

Can I put in a vote for the names of the donor buses?

ECHO and DAC.

Both are large humanitarian 'donor' agencies/networks. Geddit?

13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Apologies for the image size, most people seem to want big ones, so big ones they get....
    Imagine the groan from my card to sort out the rust......bugger

As you are the first to suggest a name and worthy names they are, I will be honoured to put those to the buses.... they are making a massive contribution to the save Rocky appeal, so donors they are.... I think the white one is Dac.... the yellowy one Echo

14. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

no no, I meant my credit card was groaning from the realisation that my kombi has the same rust - nothing to do with image size. I am battling a 39.5 degree fever and my

wr
    itin
    gis prettypsychadelic - so sorry about that. I was thinking the white one was ECHO, but I guess they're your Kombis, so far be it from me to push you around. ;)

Good luck man - great to see another resto begin, and begin so thoroughly.

15. Cai

Cai New Member

looking good, that one large amount of rust!

16. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

big pics are good, they didnt look that big on my 30" screen anyway :)

17. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Chris "YOU CAN DO IT" we met for a short time only ,but i have no reservations whatsoever about you guys having the nouse to get Rocky rockin' again...

18. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Cheers guys,

Dingo, you are chief namer of the spare kombis, so it shall be that the white one becomes "ECHO" and the other shall be known as DAC.... they will love their names. cheers

Thanks Jay, I know we can do it, just not sure if the credit card can do it! Kate is away at sea looking after that for me right now! So on I plod with the engine and wiring stuff......

19. gsa2at

gsa2at New Member

looks like the usual spots and then some
    may not buff out in this case
    look forward to seeing some new metal in them bits Chris

20. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

woohoo - intermittent wipers

After tinkering around a few times in the garage, just cleaning and checking linkages etc and lining up stuff for when Rocky is ready to be put back together, i decided to try set up some intermittent wipers.....

First I found an Audi at the wreckers and grabbed a typically badged vw/audi wiper relay, which i subsequently blew up (I learnt early on that when you let the smoke out of electrical equipment it generally stops working).....

Then today I was out raiding Echo and Dac for some wiper hoses and fittings, when I noticed a big ugly old weird looking aftermarket relay fitted to "Echo"'s dash just below the stereo hole..... I had no idea what this was except that it was a rotary switch, which initially switched on then kept turning until eventually hitting a stop, I assumed this was a variable time delay set up or a volume control perhaps.........

Google proved to me that the numbers Relay 5WA.001.871-04 Hella did not exist, but Relay 5WA.001.871-041 Hella happened to be an intermittent wiper relay.

I mucked around with it in the garage and found that I only had to give it an earth, a power supply and a cable spliced into the slow speed of the wiper motor and hey presto, I have a variable delay intermittent wiper set up.
    There appears to be a much newer more compact version still available....
    https://www.kramp.com/shop/action/itemgroup_60_-1_11351_40757_0_Relay 5WA001871041 Hella__

If anyone wants more info, let me know and I can help you set it up.

cheers, Chris