1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocky - a slow slow start

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Rocky, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

woohoo, new seats!!!!

finally some progress. the old faded, ripped, dodgy seats have had a makeover. We installed headrests off some dead later seats i had, then had them reupholstered, padded and generaly tidied up... I only have the drivers seat as they had forgotten to put on the support knobs off the back of the passenger seat, it involves a hole in the vynil so i left it with them to finish off. I love the way they came out. Awesome.....
    here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And what better way to chill after a long week of nightshifts and 21 days straight of mostly busy days, than to kick back on my new kombi seat, with a tasty schooner of deliciouly brewed Pale Ale and throw the ball for the pups.....love it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Seat looks great Chris

3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

thanks michelle,
    starting to feel inspired again after thinking of nothing but rust for a while now.... Great to see some colour come back to the old boy, I guess I am committed to the red now!!!! Still had some niggling thoughts of mango green..... maybe the next one!!!!!

Cheers, Crhis

4. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Love the seats...I guess Kate won out with the colour choice.....also great looking 'support vehicle' :lol: Andy borrowed our Pootrol, as I call it, from work to tow 'Monty' around while in resto then he bought it :eek: I must admit it has come in handy!

'Jimmy' must be very close to being finished now, he was looking really good when we saw him and 'Rocky' will look just as beautiful very soon.

Keep the pics coming and don't spill your beer on those seats!

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

yeah, Kate won the colour choice comp.... THe voting only came down to a choice of my two favourites though, i am very happy when I think about it, no going back now in any case, two much invested in the seats!

I took the inspiration for the support vehicle from yours, Brett(neighbour) wouldnt let me put any stickers on his though.....

As far as Jimbo goes, he is looking great, I had a drive a few days ago. I am going to take my camera round and put it up here as I keep hassling them to join.....they are disappointed that Jimbo is already taken (username). The paint is all done, rust proofing done, engine done after a lengthy stop at the mechanics, I just donated an oil pressure switch as I didnt like the idea of driving a nice bus around with no light whatsoever.... The cupboards are almost ready to go in, you just reminded me to go around and take a template off a couple of them...

Cheers, Chris

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Those seats will look fantastic Chris. Nice choice there. :)

7. Archeress

Archeress Guest

They are just awesome Chris.really nice..:) ..dont forget to put the seat in the bus though..

8. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Thanks melissa, thanks kelly

was funny this morning, remember I had been up all night working, so had a few beers, got a little tipsy, sat on the seat in the garden holding my new steering wheel...and beer....i guess I was drink driving!!!

9. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo...look at you :) ...starting to come together...
    You made me laugh guys as we had M's seats done first also & were playing with them too whe they came home.(& had ours stored in the bedroom for years)
    If your seats are anything to go by the kombi will be stunning...
    Just keep posting pics...love seeing Rockys transformation :) Judy

10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Thanks Judy,

I have been getting a bit frustrated at the lack of progress on the bodywork, seeing rocky sitting under a sheet behind a few other cars in a shed is not terribly inspiring. But I dropped in today, to drop off a couple of small air duct panels and what did I see, Rock sitting front and centre in the work area of the shed!!!!!! Very excited.
    Also picked up the passenger seat today, so another win, did I say I was excited!!!!
    I am back out there tomorrow with overalls on and toolbox in hand, will hopefully leave with a steering box, a front beam and maybe some rear brake drums.... see how time goes. I should mow the lawn too so may not get too far...

Very excited, I feel like I have so much energy today.....:D :D :D

11. DancingDoonars

DancingDoonars Active Member

That's cool :cool: . . .tell me Chris, did anyone give you an imaginary "Kombiwave":lol:

12. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

haha

no, I was hiding in my back yard, I must admit I did close my ears for a moment and could swear I saw a wave and heard that dakdakdak....was very tired

13. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Love those seats Chris. I think Kate has steered you in the right direction with the Red - a great Kombi colour (not that I'm biased or anything, of course! ;)).

i know that you're frustrated about how long everything is taking, but it'll all come good, and the frustration will all fade away when you drive Rocky for the first time. Just remember to actually put that sexy seat in your bus though. :)

14. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

woohoo....

Rocky has no front!!!!!

Very excited, the lower inner front panel is tacked in and looking good...... THe floor is covered in rust! I have my front beam and steering box home. TOnight will be make up an order time and make up a colour list for the resto!!!! Will post pics up tonight of progress, have permission to drop in on a daily basis to take pics etc, so should have a good history of what happens here!!!
    :D :D :D

15. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

[​IMG]If only we could have the seats like this in the bus, the seats look so happy and snuggly together here

[​IMG]Our garage is consumed by kombi parts..... keeping me busy cleaning, checking, replacing, repairing, modifying.....

[​IMG]Rocky with no front and his new front waiting in the foreground!!!! The lower inner panel has been fitted already

[​IMG]And what remains of the old rusty front...... The bottom panels are completely gone, only paint and bog was holding them together, the top part was only held together by silastic and paint!!! it is a wonder the windscreen stayed in there!!!! And the rest has enough areas of swiss cheese to warant a replacement.

16. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Old floor - passenger side had a patch on a patch of flat steel, drivers side was swiss cheese - heading towards flintstones style....

[​IMG]
    New drivers side...

[​IMG]
    New passenger side....

17. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I spent today spending a fortune on bits, trying to unblock a fuel tank vent line... that was an adventure.

I ended up blowing the drivers side through with compressed air with not much trouble, passenger side would not budge. So I decided to remove the whole system. Found a good way to remove the condensing chamber from the air intakes, I used a dremel tool with extension cable, taped to a broomstick to allow me to pass it through the vents, then using a cut off disk, broke the tack welds and dropped the cylinder out. I ended up cutting it in half out of curiosity, only to find that there is nothing in there and the blockage was on the last elbow (within the engine bay)!!!!! So have shortened that pipe and will either run more hose or find a new piece of pipe or clear the old bit and hook it back up. If anyone is interested, those canisters are empty, no baffles, no mesh, just space.

Oh well, at least I know how it all works!!!!

18. greenbay

greenbay New Member

it's good that you know how it works now Chris,we should all learn at least one new thing per day.one day you will be able to pass the knowledge on to some poor simple fool such as myself.

19. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Boy Rocky sure has changed a bit, I have one question Chris "why is the pop top still on" Rust could be lurking underneath it. I take it at some stage it will be painted so I thought it would have come of when you stripped the car?

20. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Gee Rocky ur having the full "face transplant" :umm:
    ...for the lovers of plastic surgery :lol:
    Judy