1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotten TV

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by chris taylor, Jun 26, 2017.

1. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Finally bit the bullet and ,after 20 years DUMPED Foxtell ,which was costing me $100 a month, two of my grand kids , both around 21 yr old mark ,convinced me to get rid of it and replace it with ,Stan, and Netflix, which is what i did, Now this is one of the better things i have done in recent years,{ thanks to them :)} and i am now enjoying watching all new,docos ,movies,with out repeats and no bloody adds :D , excuse my language,and the best part of this is i am saving at least $80 a month, now thats a saving worth having ,times that by 12 mths comes out at $960 a year which almost pays for my b/stop 2018 trip.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Chris, good to hear a win for you ..... personally don't do Foxtel (never have) or any of the others so I've saved heaps :eek: just wish the pocket and bank account reflected it :confused::oops:

Wayne murray likes this.
  3. chris taylor

Hi Bert ,yep its a bit like giving up smoking and drinking, one says hell im gunna save thousands ,but you never seem to ,strange aint it:confused:o_O

4. KahunaKombi

Yeah Chris - I started home brewing beer back in 1983 .... motto is the more you drink the more you save :p ..... strange the Mrs doesn't agree :oops: but hey I do have proof it pays :rolleyes:

David H likes this.
  5. chris taylor

Hey Bert ,i love your logic mate, :rolleyes:, and your correct,{ have to be a bit careful here o_O}, i will say that some wives DO NOT see things as we do :eek: you can have all the proof you like but she wont believe it,one little bit......:D When i was doing home brew ,,many, many, years ago i decided to to use some Darwin Stubby bottles {6 to exact, after sitting in the kitchen cupboard for three weeks they decided to self destruck, all six of them ,mate ,there was beer awash all over the good ladies kitchen floor, she was screaming :mad:,i was crying :(, and the kids were laughing:D. It was then decided, with a strong suggestion from her,that any further brewing exercises would be carried out in the shed, i obeyed ,:cool:

Bert you going to the B/st 018 if so hope to catch up.

Chris

Debstar, David H and Wayne murray like this.
  6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The Bloke next door tried ginger beer brewing and he put his handwork under the 6 ft fish tank.You know what happened that night.
    It blow the bottom of the tank out.

Debstar, Ninga, David H and 1 other person like this.
  7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I know its expensive but I am keeping my Foxtel and we have Stan and Netflix as well. We do not have a decent signal here for free to air anyway and I like the shows I watch on Fox.

Ninga and Grantus like this.
  8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It's the ONLY way I can watch every F1 practice, qualifying and race live. (Also without ads, which is unusual for Foxtel), so it has to stay! ;)

Kai, Ninga and melissa like this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

:oops:

10. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

It is expensive Chris and we could do without it too, however, we have poor internet out here in the hills and restricted data. We initially tried Netflix and enjoyed it but the small data allowance would only give us one (very slow loading) movie.
    After our local DVD store, like most closed down, our only option to be able watch a new release movie was to go with Foxtel.
    We started out with the sport channels too, which was great being able to watch lots of live events and rugby union which is not often shown on free to air but we couldn't afford all luxuries. Besides, we live in such a great place, we spend most of our time outside.... (wearing 15 layers this time of year). :D

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I NEVER thought I'd ever need Fox Sports, as channel 10 used to give the F1 races free to air, till they sold it to Fox.

But I signed up purely for Formula 1. I must say, the added bonus recently by having the Sports package, was the America's Cup sailing televised live. Awesome stuff, and well done NZ on winning! :)

Ninga and melissa like this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Wouldn't know the results of Americas cup if relying on Australian media.
    Fortunately a good mate is sports editor for associated press.
    Gave me the nudge that the kiwis had beaten USA and Au in one hit ;)

13. KahunaKombi

LOL :D .... Darwin Stubbies not renowned for sturdiness or strength of the glass :eek:- only meant to be sealed once then recycled ..... heard of others with the same experience ;)

14. KahunaKombi

When I used to snow ski back in the 1970/80's I always felt the cold down that way was a nicer type of cold than that up in Sydney ...... must have been the mountain air :D
    Easier to make yourself warm and comfortable than cool and dry during a Qld summer with rampant humidity :confused:

Ninga likes this.
  15. chris taylor

Chrissy ,its a shame that you cannot get decent internet and data, we ,who live in the big smoke ,tend to take things for granted sometimes and not always taking into account that people in the bush do not have good access to such things, so i can understand your dilemma.
    Regards to you Paul and the littlies and look forward to seeing you both 2018 b/st. Chris

Ninga likes this.
  16. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Yes and the snakes are hiding at the moment too. One of the winter blessings! :D

David H, Grantus and chris taylor like this.
  17. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Hi Chris. It probably wouldn't bother us too much only that we need internet to keep up with the world now for certain things like paying bills and now that Gracie is at school it's almost essential to have it.
    Although I guess I rely on internet too... how else would I have access to KC? :eek::D

Always a pleasure to catch up with you Chris. Don't forget, if you're ever over this way there's plenty of room to park a Kombi! :)

18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Chrissy, we have shocking tv reception where we are and put up with regular drop outs , ghosting nothing etc. for ages....
    A mate suggested looking into the VAST system. It's basically free to air satellite tv and the one that is used in remote regions along with travellers in vans aka Grey Nomads.
    You can get all the info. here:
    http://www.mysattv.com.au/
    All you do I pay for a set top box for your telly and a satellite dish. All the wiring utilises your existing antenna cabling.
    A licensed tech. will do the install and away you go. Really simple.
    We've had fantastic reception since.....none of the previous issues at all and access to every station Australia wide.
    A big advantage is that you can "chase" a show across Australia.....ie if you miss it in NSW, you can find it with a later start in SA, WA, NT etc.
    All up cost for us was approx. $600.00 with nothing else to pay, ever......
    It's money well spent in my opinion.
    The only time we lose signal is if there is a violent electrical storm directly overhead......but that usually passes quickly.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Ninga and Debstar like this.
  19. chris taylor

thanks Chrissy, i really appreciate your offer, will keep it in mind.
    Chris

20. Kombijos

Kombijos Member

Hi Chris, I see where you intend going to the Kombi Club Bus stop at Stanthorpe in 2018. Griffith is just over 1000 kms to Stanthorpe so almost half way from Adelaide. If you would like to break your journey at Griffith you would be most welcome to stay at my place, possibly on Wednesday night and we could travel up together. Peter Josling 0429399180

Debstar, melissa and oldman like this.