RTTS - Thanks

Discussion in 'Run to the Sun 2009' started by Roy, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Run to the Sun 09
    This weekend took us all by surprise, there were six 'committee' members and a whole bunch of helpers, trying to be prepared for anything the weekend brought.
    The gates officialliy opened at 8.30am, but by 8.25 the site was filling up fast.
    Swappers and Tradies filled not one line but three and more, providing a good choice
    The liines of display cars filled up with Kombis being the highest turnout, followed by Beetles and buggies were also up in numbers, compared to other shows
    Type 3, KG and 'thing' numbers were down, which was quite dissappointing. Next year maybe we could make it very clear that RTTS is a VW event for all models
    The site soon filled to capacity, we haven't calculated numbers yet but there was well over 350 vehicles
    We were let down by the main food vendor, at the last minute. So when the Rural Fire Brigade set up there BBQ, ther was a queue 10 deep and a tasty hot dog they did too, or I was too hungry to care anyway
    The Coffee Van, Crepe maker and Ice Cream Van, all stepped in at the last minute and for that I am sure everyone was grateful. They tell me they had a great day and will be back next time
    Bouncing Castle and the face painter proved popular as always with the kids
    The Kombi Kram was held again, the heat must have put off the adults, but the kids didnt have to be asked twice, they soon piled into my lowlight. I am unsure of the numbers, someone must have counted them all
    Window fitting display went well, showing hw easy it is to fit new sliding windows
    I have a beautiful kombi on my drive, lovingly hand painted in water based paints by the kids in attendance, I hope someone took a few photos. Its evidence that another generation of kombi lovers are on the way. There was also a beetle for painting, supplied by VolksMod, that after receiving a bit of a bashing on Saturday looked just as pretty by Sunday. All this under the ssupervision of 'Cornish', thanks mate you are a legend.
    While we (The Bus Stop) supplied the Remote Controlled Samba and Custom Beetle, other give aways were donated by Volksmod, Gold Coast VeeDub, Australia Zoo and Just Cars Magazine
    There is always no shortage of volunteers, so I would like to say a great big thankyou to the following
    Alec of Klub VW for providing the Insurance
    Craig Smith master the PA and did a great job, although next time we will plan on having his voice spread even further
    Doug and another Craig were directing traffic in as best as they could but with space running out, it was a relentless task
    Neil and Dave did a great job on the gate
    Nathan who worked night shifts over the weekend, gave up his days to help out with a bit of clowning around
    Michelle , Adrien, Lorraine, Andy ect ect
    Thanks to the swappers and tradies
    Gold Coast Bulletin for giving the show a few free plugs
    The venue was excellant and a big thanks to the Mudgeeraba Show Society for letting us use the site
    But most of all a great big Thanks to everyone that braved the heat and attended, what was, the first Run to the Sun held at Mudgeeraba. Without you all, the show scene would not continue.
    You all deserve a pat on the back:)
    Sorry if I have forgotten someone, thanks to you all
    We have received some great feedback, thanks for sparing the time to email or call

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

The biggest pat on the back goes to you Roy, without you insight and financial backing this show would never have gotten off the ground. I would also like to thank the other members of the 'committee' well done guys.:D

As for every 1st there are probably a few things we could have done better but I for one was very very happy with how it all went. Noone could have planned for a such a hot weekend and I thank everyone who braved the heat to come and be part of this the first Run to the Sun.

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well done to all involved adn hope you got out of there at a reasonable time.

4. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Vehicle numbers 479

Great achievement, bring on Run to The Sun 2010

5. terbear

terbear Member

Wow....thats fantastic......

6. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

shite...is that a record?:umm:

7. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

A few years ago I ran a VW show here in Byron...I had just over 400 go through the gate there.......well done everyone :)

8. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Thanks for putting on such a great show, Roy.
    Congratulations to everyone who was involved with the organisation.
    Craig did a great job with the PA including his walk around to talk to people over the PA/FM radio.:D
    A special thanks to the guys doing the slider window installation & I hope they enjoyed the ales I left with them after fitting the pair to OSI. It must have been bloody hot work, climbing in & out of Kombis that had been parked in the sun for some hours. Well done! It also looked so simple, but I'm sure I coud have cocked it up quite badly had I tried at home.
    It WAS very hot but you can't blame the organisors for that.:lol:
    I'll make the effort for RTTS 2010.

9. crave

crave New Member

Ditto to all of the above. Awesome weekend. Camped overnight and we didn't even get bitten by one mozzie. As the Kombi Krazy stall holder I couldn't have asked for a better event. Organisers super !!! Customers super !!! Other stall holders also welcoming. Great to put a face to the 'Kombi Club' aliases. A big cheer to Roy and the gang !! It will only get better from here.

10. tubguts

tubguts Member

Our first event with a Kombi - had a really good time and look forward to the next one that we can make it to. We got caught in a bit of hail on the way home, nothing too bad , though there were a few anxious moments when we realised that the sound on the roof was changing from rain to something more solid.

It was really nice meeting the people that we did and thanks Bert for your words of wisdom re kombi stuff and many thanks to all of the people involved in organising such an event - must have been a heap of work [ especially so close to X-mas ].

cheers and merry X-mas

John

11. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

hey ROY....thanks for getting young john to do the gate..teach him to stay up till 3am partying...just picked him up to take him to swimming:lol: ...can hardly lift his feet:eek: