1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rubber conditioner

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Deluxe, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Does anyone know of any good rubber conditioners. All the rubber mats I have for the microbus are pretty good and only a few small cracks but have just lost their suppleness.
    I'm not after back to black or anything that just shines up the surface, more something that makes rubber soft again.
    Is there such a thing or is rubber just one of those things that can't be reconditioned?

2. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I know Wurth do a product called Rubber Care but its mainly for window seals, bailey channels etc...

3. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I have had some reasonable success using some of the leather products (eg Jay-el leather dressing). Brings up the colour and adds some softness in many cases. I've used it on floor mats.

I've just been using a vinyl restorer on the floor of my camper and it is also supposed to be for rubber but I haven't tried it. Meguiars make a black rubber/black plastic restorer which seems to work like the leather products (ie. it's not a black dye)

cheers

Greg

4. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I use that stuff - its great.

6. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I have used Armourall, have soaked stuff in it and works quite well

Dave

7. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

I think the jury is still out on wether or not it is ok to use armor all. Lots of folks think the silicone based spray ends up causing more damage than good. I'm not convinced.

However, one thing I do know is that I wouldn't be using it anywhere near the body. One drop of that will create problems when you're respraying.

8. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks all

Will try a few things. Also seen a product called Zymol with good reviews

Cheers
    Dave

9. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

+1 for this stuff, I used to use it a lot to rejuvenate old rubber seals etc Wurth make some great products...

10. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Just an addendum. I have now used the vinyl floor restorer "Gemini Floor Finish" on the front floor mat of my bay. After cleaning it I applied 2 coats with a paint brush and wiped the excess with a rag. It includes rubber on it's list of surfaces. It is a white liquid that dries clear.

Adds a hard wearing finish and looks quite good. But avoid if you don't like a gloss finish.

Greg