1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rust Inhibitor / Primer Questions

Discussion in 'Body' started by Peaches and cream, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Peaches and cream

Peaches and cream New Member

(Before we start - the Structural rust (back corners, battery tray, bulge panel is being cut and welded by a pro - NOT ME !)

But.... Once my panels are sanded back.... to remove the crusty paint and surface rust spots.

What is a good product to use that will prevent the re-appearence of rust ? (it will be a month or so before paint can go on)

POR 15 doesnt sound like the best for painting over the top of....??

I was always told that standard primer was porous and so no good at rust prevention ??

Will Etch Primer do the trick ? (I thought that is for only on top of stripped bare metal)

There is a product called "Rust fighter primer" .... that sounds like it wouldd do the trick, anyone had any experience.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks a million.

PB

2. splitbus07

splitbus07 New Member

hey

i did not quite get this post, but have you thought of rust converting the meatle and then primering

once you convert the rust and primer it theres a 99.9999% chacne that the rust wont come back

My advice if ur gunna rust convert: Dont take short cuts and read the instuctions...

Cheers

J.

3. JHB88

JHB88 Member

Have a look here:
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=11558

I just finished off this post because I forgot the last 2 lessons!

You don't need etch primers unless you are painting plastic or aluminium etc.

You don't want to leave a car in primer for too long as it is not desinged for exposure.
    Maybe 2 weeks at the most.

You just have to watch the solvent curing time and basiclly you can just keep painting.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

PB

Right on most scores

Quick answer is
    Rust converter ok under most paints except epoxy[adhesion problems]

2 pac chromate etch good but apply according to instructions. Any primer and paint for top coats. Epoxy is more chemical and abrasion resistant. 2 pac poly u also good
    Dont like enamel or lac as not so resistant, but just a preference.

Prefer penetrol as it has very good capillary action and gets into seams and remaining rust which u wont get at in batt area without blasting first
    Only problem is it is alkyd based so you will need to let it dry for a day or so and use a tie coat such as Sigma Rapid Prime which will go over alkyd but allow u to use any paint type over top.

To clarify . Alkyd ,oil based, is like enamel. It will fry [crinkle/lift] if u use a paint with strong thinner type [Lac, GP thinners]over top
    cheers
    col

5. Peaches and cream

Peaches and cream New Member

Thankyou Col...

Seal (Mrs PB) is a big fan of Penetrol..... do you roll it on ???

PB