Rust Prevention

Discussion in 'Body' started by machine111, Jun 20, 2017.

1. machine111

machine111 New Member

Hi Guys, I know that this probably has been done to death however I am after your personal opinions and schedules with respect to rust protection.
    1. What product do you use and why (fish oil, penetrol etc)
    2. How do you apply the rust protection (Air gun??)
    3. What do you do for prep and which panels do you apply to (remove door cards etc)
    4. How long and how much product is required
    5. How often (once every year, two years)
    6. How well is your vehicle holding up to the elements.

cheers guys and looking forward to your responses. I hope I have posted in the correct area.

2. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

some searching on here will reveal much.

personally i reapply a tanin based converter to cavities yearly and then penetrol. NOT cavity wax as it seals in rust. If you are doing it once off then cavity wax.
    i use an under body gun with a hose and radial nozzle drill access holes where needed and plug them with grommets when finished. and oh yes good drainage from all sealed areas is a good thing also. Mitch

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

My Rust Prevention schedule:

Full wash including body underwash, after any visit to the coast.

Then back to a higher inland altitude, zero salt air climate, to keep undercover most times.

Worked for the past 29 years with my T3. :p :)

StevieVW, Poptop and Luckyphil like this.
  4. machine111

machine111 New Member

Ha, thanks Grantus. I have taken onboard unfortunately I am stuck in Nowra due to my job. Thanks Mitch for the advice, I am not a fan of fish oil due to the smell. I was thinking of initially using penetrol then use ankor wax on top of the penetrol. Maybe repeat annually. Was just interested in others experiences. cheers Simon.

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Sorry I wasn't more help.......:oops:

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

David H likes this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Great answer! Don't live near salt water!!!:p or if you do wash it daily.
    Cheers

9. merrymike

merrymike New Member

When I had the gearbox and engine out for rebuilding on Merry I put her up on jack stands, wire wheeled everywhere including the engine bay and then used Rust Bullet automotive. Goes on like a metallic skin. Obviously, you can't use this on exterior panels. but it's done a great job on the underbody.

I'm looking to get a respray done in the near future and my mechanic advised me against using Ankor Wax as he says it makes prepping the old paint very difficult, the new paint often doesn't stick properly and can required bare metal stripping to be done.

I go around with a rust converter and brush any spots I find. Then cut with an orbital polisher and hand polish with a carnubra wax. I do this twice a year.