1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad end to the last T3 Kombi...

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Schmoburger, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Deano posted this up on that other VW forum this morning... enuff to make ya cry! :(

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208514

The last T3 ever made, along with a whole heap of other VW's and Audi's from the South African VW museum were mangled when the truck they were on turned turtle...

[​IMG]

Here it is in happier times...

[​IMG]

A very sad end to such a historic Kombi... and also the various Beetles and Audi's, which faired even worse... not even going to post those... too depressing.

2. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

well they must repair that being the last one , i remember many years ago express L300 having the same fate straight from mmal factory under the bridge on marion road kbang no more express van the roof was chopped up and now mitsubishi use it as a gofor round the plant last time i was there it had done 300 km on the speedo and its a 1983 vehicle

3. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Low kms convertable huh Tom! Take the family to the beach with the top... off?? Might be fun. I'll get the cutting wheel out tonight, will post pics of the kombi version in the morning!

Seriously though my heart sank... I really feel bad for the owners who looked after those historic wheels. Such an aweful accident!

4. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

There may be hope for the T3 at least, by virtue of it's boxiness (though it will be a bloody expensive restoration :eek:)... however I don't think those poor old Audi's are gonna be salvagable with anything short of a miracle. :(

5. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

It makes me wonder why anyone organising the transport of so many amazing vehicles, didn't think to split them up in case of an accident such as this. To have that collection wiped out if one foul swoop, reeks of incompetence. Such a shame, that little burnt orange bug with those wheels is uber cool.

Rob J

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

VWoA lost most of their top management on a Pan Am flight over Lockerbie, Scotland.

7. t2pickup

t2pickup New Member

It is the last T3, thankfully the last T3 from the German line is in the museum in Germany. Such a waste, i couldnt see any of them being repaired by VW itself.